Issue ez-034: How to focus on personal rating instead of the editorial rating

How to focus on personal rating instead of the editorial rating.

It’s possible to focus the album browser by ratings. roon seems to use editorial ratings in the focusing mechanism.

For example, in this library with 507 albums, 80% of the albums have ratings. I’ve only rated two(!) of them, yet when I select any of the given options, a large number of albums are focused on.

How can I focus on my ratings instead of allmusic’s editorial ratings?

1 Like

If you really want to do that, you have to either

• change all existing ratings
  • add a tag to albums rated by yourself and include it in the focus also

If you don’t like any of these two options, feel free to add your voice to any or all of the already existing feature requests:

I can’t see any way to do this. The editorial stars are read-only in the UI, and they’re not in the “edit” dialog. Do you know of a way to set them all to “unset”?

I’m already doing this, which is a bit of a pain. It would be nice to make use of the star-editing rating gadget on the album details page.

There are so many other requests dating back four years. Amazing…

Reading through them, I saw a few mentions that the ratings could somehow be bulk edited or replaced with the ratings in file tags. Yet I find no way to do those things. Please advise!

You know how to apply your own ratings, so you know how to do this (nobody said that this is easy).

The editorial ratings are just that. You can’t change editorial content in Roon. You can replace some of it by your own (Picks, Rating).

Feel free to provide links to such statements or – much better IMHO – ask questions about “how to do it” in the thread you found the statement in. I don’t know of a method to bulk rate albums (overwriting the editorial star-ratings).

If you’re able to let go the star-ratings of the UI, you can make use of tags for your own ratings. You can use tagging software to bulk-edit tags in files and of course there’s still is the usual built-in “Add to Tag” feature that also works for multi-selections.

Wrong.

Please read a bit more carefully and don’t tell me that I know how to change all existing ratings when they’re un-editable editorial metadata. Applying my own ratings via tags is not at all the same thing.

Sorry for being unclear.

If you really want to do that, you have to either

• change all existing editorial ratings to your personal ratings (Note: Half a star is the minimum) and you’re done. (Explanation: No more editorial ratings to be shown.)
  • add a tag (like e.g. “My Rating”) to albums rated by yourself and include it in the focus also. So in your example you will only see the 2 albums rated by yourself and you’re done. (Explanation: No albums not rated by yourself are shown [focus on personal rating instead of the editorial rating])

Nobody said so. Don’t know where you read that.
If you’re referring to the last part of my previous post: It’s an alternative way to achieve the same result without messing around with the double-used (editorial and personal) rating stars of the Roon UI.

I said:

1> How can I focus on my ratings instead of allmusic’s editorial ratings?

You said:

2> If you really want to do that, you have to either
2>
2>   * change all existing ratings

I said:

3> I can’t see any way to do this. The editorial stars are read-only
3> in the UI, and they’re not in the “edit” dialog. Do you know of a
3> way to set them all to “unset”?

You said:

4> You know how to apply your own ratings, so you know how to do this
4> (nobody said that this is easy).

I said:

5> Wrong.
5>
5> Please read a bit more carefully and don’t tell me that I know how to
5> change all existing ratings when they’re un-editable editorial metadata.
5> Applying my own ratings via tags is not at all the same thing.

You said:

6> Nobody said so. Don’t know where you read that.

Now I say:

7> You did say so in (4).

Let’s move on now.

All the workarounds to this common issue are pretty awful. I hope roonlabs fixes this some day.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.