Router:TP-Link Archer C9
Storage : Synology NAS DS920+
Connection: Ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

Audio output to Auralic VEGA DAC by USB on the MAC mini

Number of Tracks in Library

4865 albums / 81567tracks

Description of Issue

I have moved all my audio file from my old NAS DS218J to new NAS DS920+ yesterday, then I try to reset the storage location on ROON, it was working fine at the beginning but after few hours, it is still running and the screen stopped at " Adding music to Library : Of 461 tracks. 461 added, 0 Identified" for another 5hours, ( screen as below)

I have try several action,

1. restart ROON for a few time
  2. restart the NAS and Mac mini
  3. removed the music folder and re-add it again
    I am not sure what is wrong, one guess is some of the audio file was damaged during transfer to the new NAS, but how could I identify them and fix it?

Appreciated if anyone could help, thanks

Hi - to check the health of your audio files I recommend Audio Tester, free Windows software. It’s helped me find corrupted files in the past.

It can be downloaded from this page:-

http://www.vuplayer.com/other.php

Michael

1 Like

If you can’t find a solution that works with respect to checking the files another possible solution would be as follows:

1. Create a new folder on the DS920+ to use as your watched folder.
  2. Remove your previously created watched folder from Roon.
  3. Incrementally move your music files into the new watched folder.

One strategy for moving them would be to start with the first half of your files. If “Adding music to library” fails again, the problem file (or files) are in the that batch. If it works, the problem files are in the other batch, so move half of them, and so on. It’s a bit of a tedious way of doing it, but will enable you to identify any problematic files.

1 Like

Thanks Michael, I am trying this now

Thanks Dave, that sounds a possible solution, but it could take quite a long time, I will it after Michael’s solution.

It’s actually not too bad. For example, you can get through 1000 items to check in 10 file moves, 2000 in 11, and so on. Hopefully Michael’s solution will work and you won’t have to try it.

1 Like

Hi @Michael_Curtis, I definitely recommend checking for corrupt files like Michael suggested. If you’re still seeing issues after removing any corrupt files, can you please do this:

• Reboot your Core machine.
  • Start up Roon and let the spinner go for ~5 minutes.
  • Reboot your Core machine once more.
  • Start up Roon and let the spinner go for another ~5 minutes.

This should allow the team to gain some insight into what you’re experiencing in the report. Once you’ve done this let me know the timestamps and use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using our log uploader.

1 Like

FINALLY! the problem is solved!
These are what I have done :
1)I try Michael’s suggestion to test all the files in my audio folder, found almost 100 of bad files, then I deleted them and scan the folder again on ROON, but the problem still the same, I guess the files that cause the issue couldn’t be detected by Audio Tester.

2)Then I try Dave method, to separate all the file into 2 folder and let ROON watches them , one of the folder completed the scanning and the other didn’t.

3)Separate the files in the problem folder into two folders, see which one has problem,

1. repeated the same process and narrow down until I found the single album that cause the whole trouble.
    DELETED it, and everything just work fine !!

Thanks again for everyone, love this ROON community !

2 Likes

I’m glad to hear you got it sorted out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pleased it’s sorted! Do you know what the issue with that album might have been? I understand that unusual characters in folder and file names can occasionally cause problems.

Michael

I have no idea, the spinner just keep spinning forever when I put that album into the watched folder.
and when I remove it, the spinner stop
The tracks on this album seems nothing special, just normal characters of the files name and everythings

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.