Issue with iPad as Roon endpoint

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Intel Nuc i7 NUC5i7RYH / Win 10 Pro 64bit version 2004 / 8Gb Ram / 240Gb M2 SSD (OS and Core on here) / Roon 1.7 build 610 (stable 64 bit).

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Access to internet via Virgin Media (broadband supplier) Router, configured as a Cable Modem / Network is controlled by a Netgear Orbi RBR50 and RBS50 / Core-NUC is connected via ethernet cable via a megabit switch.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Auralic Aries / connected via USB to main endpoint - dCS Puccini U-Clock into Puccini Player
using iPad as an endpoint.

I’d not used the iPad as an endpoint or the control app for a month or so.

Description of Issues

  1. When I load the control app (iPad - 6th gen - running iPadOS 13.6.1) Roon does not communicate / find the Core and cannot connect. If I go to the settings on the Core and toggle the ‘Accept connections from remotes’ button off then on, then it connects (initially it is set as ‘on’). This now has to be done every time the Core is switched on. This is a real ‘pain’, as I have set up the NUC so it only runs Roon Core - that is its only function. As such it is ‘stand alone’ (ie. no keyboard or monitor). If I need to access it, I do so remotely, using the ipad, via Cloudberry software. This work okay, but is a little ‘clunky’ on an ipad. Having to log on and switch the ‘remote’ function off and on is rather a chore, which I haven’t had to do before.
    With the connection made, the dCS Puccini used as an endpoint via the Auralic Aries is fine, with no issues.

  2. When I try to use the ipad as an endpoint, and select say an album to play; each track is ‘played’ in a fraction of a second, with no audio output. A 10 track playlist will be ‘skipped’ through in less than a couple of seconds.

I was aware of some issues with the latest version of Win 10, so tried restoring to a previous time. Same issues.

I am also aware that this is a new version of iPadOS. Is this the issue?

Thanks in advance for your help with these issues.

Have you updated the Roon iOS app?


Yes, I even uninstalled it from my ipad, then re-installed afresh.

Thanks for the thought.

Hi @Andy_Cash,

As per our Networking Best Practices Guide, do you have this setting turned on?

Netgear Orbi Routers

If you’re making use of an Orbi router, we recommend unchecking Disable IGMP Proxying in your router’s settings. This setting can interfere with the ability for Roon Remotes to connect to the Roon Core.

When this issue occurs, are you connecting any DAC to the iPad via an adapter or are you trying to use the built-in iPad speakers?

I am using the built-in speakers / headphone socket output.

Hi again.
I have changed the router setting you suggested, but with no discernable affect.
Any other suggestions kindly accepted.

I’ll add that I have the same problem.

Hi David,
Do you have all of the same issues?
Had this only happened recently?

Only recently. Roon has been virtually unusable for me and I’ve used it pretty much since it’s inception.

I wondered if the new windows 10 update had messed things up, but then can’t explain why all is well using my Aries and puccini dac.
Might be the new ipad os update?
Need the Roon tech support to help us here!

Hi @Andy_Cash,

Are you using any VPNs on that iPad by any chance?

Can you please reproduce the issue and let me know the exact local time + date + track it fails on?

Hi Noris,
The issue happens every time on all tracks eg. 10:21am GMT; 05/092020; ‘Demons’ by The Pineapple Thief.
There isn’t a VPN involved on the ipad, but the ipad is from my work; and they have recently installed ‘Relay Smart Agent’ on all the ipads. As far as I can see, it is not a VPN but seems to be a internet filtering system. Could this be the issue?
The issue of not automatically connecting to the Core; and having to switch the ‘accept remote’ function off then on, is very irritating.

Do you have an iPad or other tablet without that software installed to try for comparison?

It sounds like it is the issue, a quick Google search brought up other complaints about that software.

Unfortunately, not - all my devices are android-based.
It’s weird though, that it doesn’t cause the playing issue when my dac is the endpoint.

Talking to one of my IT technicians today, it seems likely that the Web Filtering Software is causing the issue.
I have no way of testing this though.
Again, It is odd that it is only using the ipad as an endpioint that causes the issue though.

Hi @Andy_Cash,

It is very possible that the filtering software is causing some issues here.

I’ve just enabled diagnostics mode on your iPad and what this does is send us a log when the Roon app is next open on it, can you please open the Roon app on the iPad, use it for at least 2-3 min and let me know once you have done so?

A post was merged into an existing topic: Ios and Mac Remotes are unresposive

Hi again,
Sorry it has been quite some time - been really busy with wortk I’m afraid.
Very weirdly, after having all of these issues; when I came to follow your instructions; I don’t know why, but I decided to uninstall the web-filtering app first. I was told it would reinstall itself, almost immediately; but it didn’t - took overnight - and in the meantime, all worked ok.
Then , even with the web-filter back, it has generally worked fine - hence, with my workload increasing, I didn’t feel the need to reply as soon as I might have.
So, if it is a result of your work - thanks ROON! Otherwise, I don’t know why things have started to work again.
Best wishes,

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: NUC directly into the U-Clock, bi-passing the Aries

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.