Issue with LS50W

My LS50W are making a crackling noise you can even hear it in the tune that plays when they turn off. It seemed to come and go but now it’s all the time. . It’s there via optical, wireless mode and bluetooth. Has anyone experienced this?

Sounds like this is similar to what I had in mine, i had to send them in for repair. They had to replace the boards. It was covered under warranty even though mine were just out of the warranty period.

it’s sounding to me like this is a known issue with these. I’m not going to be to happy if they want me to pay a whole bunch of money to fix something that was faulty to begin with.

For what it is worth I had the same issue with mine, they are in the dealer being repaired right now.

Definitely a dodgy batch out there, KEF could really be handling this better.

I have a pretty new pair of LS50W with approx 150 hrs burn-in time. I recently started to notice an occasional discordant sound like “white noise” or a “scratchiness”. Whats odd is that it only seems to occur on some songs, notably those with a fair amount of cymbals.

Furthermore while it’s hard to describe, it seems like sounds do NOT emanate from a silent or “black” background. It feels like there is some subtle haze or almost imperceptible noise overlaying the sound.

While I need to do more experimentation to try to figure out whats causing the problem I’d like to ask if this is similar to what you (and other users) are experiencing?

For me it was pretty obvious that something was wrong. It would start sort of subtle and then get pretty bad where it was really obvious. Turning them off for a day and back on they would play fine for a while then slowly revert back to having the problem. I have gotten them fixed. Kef fixed them for free even though they were out of warranty, not sure if that is because I own a pair of blades or if they are just fixing all the LS50W that are having the same issue. They said it was the main board that was replaced. They were helpful and got it handled

The KEF’s are in my vacation home and I’m going to spend some time over the Labor Day weekend trying to ferret out when (under what circumstances) I’m hearing the “white noise” before contacting KEF support. Thankfully they are under warranty in case they need to go back for repair.