Issue with tidal playback

Hello @crispin_hearn,

We are able to see the dropouts in your logs, and many of them are appended with the error message “Alert: TIDAL: tidal_media_slow”. This is usually indicative of a bandwidth problem somewhere between your Roon Core and Tidal’s servers. What makes this problem difficult to pin down is that this issue could be related to something happening on your network, between your network and your ISP, or even between your ISP and Tidal’s media servers. The quickest way to gauge this would be to run a speedtest from your Windows PC to rule out your local network as the cause. Once you’ve done that, please share the results and we can continue troubleshooting and getting this fixed for you.

-John

attached speedtest , my network is fine further drop outs at 19.28. 19,29, 19.30

Hi @crispin_hearn —— Thank you for the continued feedback here and more importantly, thank you for your patience.

I was looking through my list of open support threads and wanted to chime in here real quickly, as I see John has been trying to help you figure out what could be causing this behavior when you are streaming content via Roon. However, before I make a few more suggestions I want to first step back here for a moment and condense the details of this report into a single post so I have everything “in front of my face” as there are a few items I could use some clarification on in order to properly advise moving forward :innocent: :microscope:

Setup:

• Core = NAS Qnap TS451 quad core 2.00mhz 8gb ram
  • Control = Microsoft Surfacebook (w8gb core i7 6th gen 2.81 mhz) (windows 10 64bit)
  • Endpoint(s) = Mytek Brooklyn // Ressonance Invicta DAC // Hugo 2 dac

Network:

• router asus d700
  • latest firmware
  • network wired

Clarification needed:

• In post #17 Mike asked the following:

“It’s possible something else is going on, but performance is really going to depend on the number of tracks you’ve imported into your library. How big is your collection?”

• Please confirm.
  • In post #14 you mentioned the following:

“so i have played over local zones and there are no drop outs , does this mean there is an issue with my nas ?”

• Please provide insight into how this test was conducted and where your core was running at the time? This sounds like you played directly out of the Surfacbook’s internal speakers, but please verify.
  • In post #15 you mentioned the following:

“I can stream from my nas to foobar and vlc no problem…”

• Do you have any issues when playing the same content from the NAS via Roon? I ma curious to hear how things behavior outside of using TIDAL.

Looking forward to your update!
-Eric

number of tracks is around 26,000
no i have a exasound set up in my living room , connected by lan
yes sometimes i do, however for the last couple of days i have had very little drop out from roon
not sure if any of the above helps

Thank you for getting back to me @crispin_hearn, appreciated! A few things moving forward…

• You mention that you sometimes do have dropouts when playing back your locally stored content. Are these dropouts occurring as frequently or less frequently then the “TIDAL tack cut outs” you’ve reported?

• Is this the exaSound device the PlayPoint by chance and furthermore, when you noticed that there was no issues when playing TIDAL content in your livingroom, what was the device acting as? An endpoint (Roon ready)? A RoonServer (Roon core)?

-Eric