Issues Migrating To RoonServer

This was an unmitigated disaster for me. I thought I followed the instructions to the letter. I found the library on my host machine, renamed it RoonServer, uninstalled Roon from my laptop, installed RoonServer, reinstalled Roon on my laptop and ran it. It asked me to sign in, then select my library on the host machine and it ran – but there was nothing but my tidal library, no local music. I went into settings and my file store wasn’t there, so I entered the path and it proceeded to import my library one folder at a time. I can see as things go in that all the grooming that I’d done in Roon was now lost! I have no playlists! No audio zones! AARRRGGGHHH!!!

I’m sorry to hear that Robert.

This FAQ is about changing from Roon to RoonServer on the same machine. Moving the database to a new machine is described here

The first instruction above was to backup the database. If you have a backup of your database then copying it over the database on the new RoonServer install should see your edits and playlists revived.

Let’s drop a flag for @vova or @mike to see if they can help.

That’s exactly what I did.

That’s the second thing that I did. No success. It just started the process over again from scratch.

OK, I now think I see what went wrong: When the Roon Remote asked me to input the location of my files, I gave them the folder name in the Organized folder category instead of the Watched folder category. That must have corrupted something. It also makes my job much harder as I no longer have a decent folder structure to fall back on.

So in addition to everything else, I now have another issue: once Roon is done organizing my folders, can I remove them from the Organized folder category and back to the Watched category to recreate my preferred folder structure?

Bummed this was a such a pain @rbienstock – I’d love to get a little more information so we can improve the documentation.

I’m slightly confused about the steps you describe here:

Was the host machine your Roon Core before and after the migration? Was the laptop always a remote?

I think the lesson for all of us here is to make access to our libraries read only to Roon. Oversights like that are costly and incredibly frustrating getting things back on track. Personally I think Roon should get out of the organize and/or delete your files business.

1 Like

Yes.

Yes, but not completely. What I used to do was use the laptop as a remote, but when traveling, when I got the message saying that the connection to my library was lost and to select another library, I selected the music folder on my laptop, then I was able to access Tidal through Roon as well as manage my local files. At some point, this stopped working (roon would try to connect for hours or days but never connect to the local library).

Two other things: first, although I followed instructions, one thing you didn’t say was to uninstall Roon from the host machine before running Roonserver. After I installed Roonserver but before I connected with the remote, the host machine needed a reboot, and Roon was set to run at startup, so it started to run. I quit it as soon as I saw it and uninstalled it. But I never checked whether it tried to create a Roon folder. I checked later and I have both a Roon and a RoonServer folder in my Library. Should I delete one of these?

Second, now that my main folder is Organized, it gives me no end of grief. I can’t copy files to it from my laptop because Roon is moving them before they are completely copied. This gives me an error message saying “The operation can’t be completed because one or more required items can’t be found.
(Error code -43)” Moreover, once this occurs, my user directory on the host machine becomes locked if I try to access it from the laptop and I get a message saying “The folder “robert” can’t be opened because you don’t have permission to see its contents.” This only occurs on the laptop. I can access the folder directly on the host machine. The only fix for this is a reboot of the host machine.

I don’t completely agree. I’ve found the Organize files feature to have been incredibly helpful in fixing the problem. The new way that the database keeps track of the tracks in an album meant that all I had to do was unhide all my duplicates, go into each duplicate album and tell Roon to use the file metadata instead of Roon’s database and presto, most of my files came back to the folders I want them to be in.

But yes, this was way to easy a mistake to make and, yes, one ought to be able to turn organizing on or off.

[quote=“rbienstock, post:8, topic:7097”]
But yes, this was way to easy a mistake to make and, yes, one ought to be able to turn organizing on or off.
[/quote]agree if the functionality is to stay one should be able to disable organized folders. It was the functionality that put you there in the first place (ok you did have a hand in it, but nevertheless). With a massive library it may not be that easy to recover files to folders you’d have put them in.

Also, I imagine the Roon customer base is not the kind that needs a mess of audio files sorted…if they’re serious enough about music to buy Roon chances are their digital collection is meticulously tagged and filed.

I had to think about this a little to understand where this all went wrong, but I think I understand.

Everything was going ok at first:

I think at this point, RoonServer should’ve been running on your host machine, and your laptop should’ve had a fresh install of Roon on it,

When you ran Roon for the first time on your laptop, you needed to select “Run As A Remote” but maybe you choose the other option, which would’ve setup your laptop as a brand new Core, which would match what you’re describing here:

If you had renamed your database to RoonServer, and then installed and run RoonServer, everything should’ve been up and running, and you shouldn’t have needed to sign in. So, that’s my guess about what went wrong here.

Does it sounds like I’m close @rbienstock?

Close. I don’t remember being asked to set up as a local or remote install, but if I had, I’m sure I would have said remote. But I just realized that I may have missed a step: when I removed Roon from my laptop, all I did was move teh application icon to the trash. I didn’t empty the trash and I didn’t remove the Roon folder from the library on the laptop. So maybe some remanants of teh old Roon install remained?

Removing the Roon folder is the key step.

One other thing that may have also had an effect: although I had dragged the Roon app to the Trash, I didn’t empty the trash. For a different reason, I had to empty the trash this morning, and a number of Roon Glitches that I had been getting are gone. For example, I had been getting display glitches like this:

After emptying the trash, I have this:

The image is still small, but I can live with that.

I spoke too soon. I’m still getting weird display glitches like this: