Issues streaming on NAD CI 580's

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Description Of Issue
I am having similar issues, but only with my NAD CI 580 Roon endpoints. Both Qobuz and Tidal work well with Trinnov endpoints.

I am still trying to iron out the kinks with my installation but I have a very reliable internet connection and enterprise grade network so seems to be something with the Roon/NAD interface.

Would welcome some suggestions.

Hello @Kurvenal,

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Also, how are the NAD CI 580’s connected?

Hello Nuwriy,

Thanks for your message. Just to clarify some of the challenges that I am having with my system:

1. No issues at all playing through either Trinnov device (see audio device list below) other than occasional dropouts. No error messages and response time via Roon is very fast.

2. Significant challenges playing through NAD CI 580 devices:

• Cannot see all NAD zones in Roon
  • Almost always get “Qobuz/Tidal Media loading slowly” error message when try to play in a zone through one of the NAD players
  • Slow response time and often must hit Play several times before music finally starts. Sometimes even if I hit Play only once it will skip tracks.
  • Zone grouping does not work well. Sometimes only one zone out of several will play. Cannot find zones in Roon that appear in BluOS controller app. When I group zones in BluOS controller then I can play in all zones successfully, but when I next reopen Roon any zones that have been grouped in the BluOS controller have disappeared from my list of zones in Roon.

See details on my system configuration below, and let me know if there is any other information that you require in order to help me. If you have any recommendations on network configuration, then please pass these along as well.

Core: Nucleus Plus, latest Roon build
Remotes: iOS and Mac OS X devices, all with latest Roon build
Network:

• 1Gbps up/down internet service, minimal latency (~1ms)
  • Cisco Meraki MX100 firewall, Cisco Meraki MS250-48LP and MS125-24P switches
  • Cisco Meraki MR45 WiFi 6 access points
    Note: Nucleus Plus and all Roon endpoints are connected via wired ethernet connections on separate AV vlan
  • Layer 3 firewall rules - Policy set to Allow on both switch and WAPs
  • Bonjour Gateway enabled on wifi network to the AV vlan

Audio Devices/Roon endpoints:

• Trinnov Altitude 32 (24) x 1
  • Trinnov Amethyst x 1
  • NAD CI-580 x 3 (total 12 zones)

Library:

• Primarily streaming through Qobuz and Tidal, not an extensive library yet since I am still fairly new to Roon
  • Some downloaded media files, primarily FLAC files purchased through Qobuz, are stored on a NAS

Hello @Kurvenal, and thanks for the explanation! I spoke to the team about this and it is a known issue with the 580. Have you reached out to NAD about this issue?

Hi Nuwriy,

Can you be more specific in describing what exactly is a known issue with the NAD CI 580?

Also, now that you should have an understanding of my system requirements, can you advise which Roon Ready multi-zone hi res streamers get the best results with Roon?

Many thanks.

William

Hello @Kurvenal, we actually have a thread with comments from our device expert, John, here for you to take a look at.

In regards to what devices you should look at, we have a great list available here!

Hi Nuwriy,

Thanks for the reply, but it was not very helpful. I am not interested in a generic hardware list. I would like some specific advice from Roon based on the number and seriousness of support requests that you get for different distributed audio players. Which players work most seamlessly with Roon? Since you have a number of players in house, I am expecting that you should be able to answer this question.

I am happy to discuss this over the phone with a supervisor if there is a problem putting an answer to this question in writing.

Many thanks.

William

I am still working with BluOS support to try to troubleshoot the issues I have been having with Roon playback. To help this process along I want to make sure that there are not any known issues with network settings when using Roon with the NAD CI 580.

On what could be a related topic, while Roon works very reliably with my two Trinnov devices, I do sometimes get several dropouts in a row when a 24/192 track is queued. I am using Cisco Meraki networking equipment and from what I can tell I am following the best practices recommended by Roon when using a managed switch, but I would be interested in hearing whether any particular network settings can cause problems with Roon.

Thanks.

Hi @Kurvenal,

Nuwriy passed your request along to me about which Roon Ready gear we recommend. Generally, our Roon Ready devices all go through a certification process and must meet certain standards to become certified. While this issue is unfortunately known and under investigation, we generally don’t see widespread issues with our Roon Ready devices.

The specific needs of each person and setup varies, so we generally try to avoid making any specific recommendations as all of the Roon Ready devices tend to be a great solution for one setup or another, and a lot of times which one is “best” is going to be a very subjective answer. If there’s one thing I’ve learned it’s to know better than to tell audiophiles what sounds “best” :slight_smile:

With that in mind, we have a great community here with lots of different devices, setups, and opinions on what works best. I’d definitely recommend making a post in #roon with your specific requirements and needs, and requesting feedback from the community. You’re sure to get a lot of great opinions from folks with setups similar to yours who have plenty of hands-on experience with the gear!

You can always loop back around and check with us if you have any questions known issues related to a device you’re interested in and we can check, but generally any Roon Ready device you choose should be a solid option.

Thanks!

-Dylan

1 Like

Hi together,

seems no setup speciality.
I run Roon on a win10 pc. no problems with Moon and Meridian players.
The new installed NAD CI580 has the same problems than in your description.
Changing the audio switch in a HP managed or a HP unmanaged switch gifs no success.
Between the Roon Server and the NAD CI580 are onli two 3m Industrial Standard Ethernet cable’s and one switch. The problem also happened while trying to play out of the Library from harddisk.
The issues hapend stil hapen wen using only one of the CI580 Zones and nothing else.

So vor me is the CI580 or the cominication betwen the CI580 and the Roon server Software the problem.

In the moment the CI580 is with roon not to use. I’m hoping for a software update.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.