Issues while trying to restore a backup on a STi7 [Bad SSD]

Hi @Eric,

copy the backup to an external hard disc only, not the entire library, correct?

Thanks for touching base @NOA. That is correct, just the backup.

-Eric

Hi @Eric,

Iā€™ve connected my ST i7 again and mounted an external USB drive with the RoonBackup folder that Iā€™ve TeraCopied via PC directly from my NAS to this drive at a shown rate between 2 - 8 MB/s, it took 1 hour.This is quite slow but I assume the reason is because of the very high number (103,709) of small files to be copied - not the strength of any NAS. If this seems too slow to you please let me know if I should try any other setup in the NAS (index, MTUā€¦).

Still the backup data are identical to the RoonBackup.zip that you have. I have NOT updated Roon Server to the last release, itā€™s also still the same release to avoid any interference here.

5:39 pm CET Roon Shows this message:

Iā€™n not sure if this is to be expected so I just keep it and do nothing. LED is active at the USB disc so I assume the backup is running still. 6:55 pm after dinner realized that Backup didnā€™t work bescause Ronn was back with 10k tracks only (TIDAL). Start backup again with date Dec 16.

Coming back from office today - it didnā€˜t work.

Here is the link to the Logs: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o7rnukoo5ynd0li/Logs2.zip?dl=0
Iā€™ve named it Log2.zip to set it apart from the Logs.zip sent already.

NOA

Hi @NOA ----- Thank you for giving the proposed a shot, sorry to hear of the continued troubles. Confirming that I have received your most recent logs and preparing your ticket to be passed back to our techs for further investigation. A few things moving forward.

When you performed the above test and Roon came back with 10k tracks of TIDAL content did you confirm that your watch folders were still present and active in the storage tab? I am wondering if you need to re-map them after the backup took place.

-Eric

Hi @Eric,

Confirm the folders are NOT mapped. I thought the backup would map them. Should I map them, and if the edits that Iā€™ve made to the metadata still exist - then the backup has been successful?

Let me know.

NOA

@NOA, the edits should be maintained in the backup create. Please re-map the drives and let me know what the experience is like.

Thanks!
-Eric

@Eric,

Itā€™s importing from scratch, no metadata edits, no tags, no bookmarks.
:frowning:

@NOA ā€” thank you for performing the requested test, I am sorry to hear that it has not yielded a positive result.

Continuing forward, our techs are going to re-examine the provided backup and I have setup a meeting with our CTO tomorrow afternoon to discuss this issue so we can get some further insight on what could be causing this problem. I will be sure to touch base with you again ASAP.

-Eric

Thanks @Eric.

No playlists as well, except Tidal ones. I suspect looking at the logs will provide inside to the problem as well.

Eager what youā€˜ll findā€¦

Thanks for the continued feedback @NOA.

Moving forward, we had our meeting and our CTO has given some advice to our tech team on further testing, so currently I am waiting on some feedback from the team on their findings. We appreciate your patience during this process :microscope:

Additionally, having an up to date set of logs after this most recent test run would be very appreciated and I will be contacting you momentarily with instructions for this next round of ā€œlog gatheringā€.

-Eric

After a long time of investigation with GREAT help of the Roon team, it turned out that the problem at my end has been a not properly working SSD on the STi7.
Will replace the SSD and hope this will bring my library back.

The devil sometimes hides himself very effectivelyā€¦

Thanks to the Roon team being very patient with this topic.

Cheers
NOA

2 Likes