Issues with display cast when tv is off

Roon Core Machine

Mac Mini, M1, 8G

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Netgear Orbi RBK350 w/ two satellites, Roon Core connected by Ethernet to main router

Connected Audio Devices

None

Number of Tracks in Library

about 65000, but they are all Qobuz tracks with just 5 local tracks.

Description of Issue

I have a Sony Bravia TV (which has chromecast built in ) and I have configured to use it as Display in Roon to see lyrics and stuff. However, choosing it as display when the TV is off causes problems. When I do that when a song is playing, Roon does indeed turn the TV on, but it stays on Google Home screen and nothing shows. This sometimes crashes the roon core, and other times requires me stopping and starting display to get what roon is sending appear on TV. I had the exact same issue with my older TV which was Samsung and had an external chromecast connected to it.

If the TV is already on, start display works without any issues.

here is stack trace from the logs right before the crash:

01/28 19:37:04 Debug: [easyhttp] [980] GET to http://localhost:9330/image/bbuaaaaa.16by7_1024.jpg returned after 6 ms, status code: 200
01/28 19:37:04 Info: 
Local Time:            01/28/2022 19:37:04 +00:00
Device Serial Number:  3E535C06-9BB7-4296-B0EE-D2E2A26A1CD5
User Id:               66095980-e82c-43b7-b50d-5251b3ba599c
Roon Version:       1.8 (build 884) stable
OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.16.0
Hardware Version:      Macmini9,1
Mono Version:          6.10.0.106 (2019-12/77769615db1)

Application Domain:    RoonAppliance.exe
Assembly Codebase:     file:///Applications/RoonServer.app/Contents/MonoBundle/RoonAppliance.exe
Assembly Full Name:    RoonAppliance, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

CPU0 Description:      Apple M1 (64-bit)
CPU0 Num Cores:        Physical: 8 Logical: 8

Exception Source:      Imagoo
   Exception Type:        System.Exception
   Exception Target Site: JpegEncoder.Encode
   Exception Message:     failed to write jpeg
   Exception Data:        none

--[ Stack Trace ]------------
   Imagoo.JpegEncoder.Encode(Byte* bmp, Int32 stride, Int32 width, Int32 height, Int32 bytesperpixel, Boolean keepopen, Stream s)
       Imagoo.dll, IL 74, N 586
   Imagoo.Bitmap.Save(Stream output, ImageFormat format)
       Imagoo.dll, IL 113, N 306
   Sooloos.Broker.ImageCollection/<>c__DisplayClass38_0.<_FinishRenderImage>b__1(Result`1 result)
       Roon.Broker.Core.dll, IL 37, N 322
   Sooloos.Broker.ImageCollection/<>c__DisplayClass39_1.<_FinishRenderImageToBitmap>b__0()
       Roon.Broker.Core.dll, IL 22, N 101
   Sooloos.CallingThread/<>c__DisplayClass12_0.<Post>b__0(Object <p0>)
       RoonBase.dll, IL 0, N 57
   ThreadUtil._DoWorkItem(_WorkItem item)
       Base.dll, IL 0, N 61
   ThreadUtil._WorkerThread()
       Base.dll, IL 176, N 938
   System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
       mscorlib.dll, IL 20, N 199
   System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       mscorlib.dll, IL 113, N 573
   System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       mscorlib.dll, IL 0, N 90
   System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       mscorlib.dll, IL 43, N 130
   System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Hi @phi4,

Thank you for your report, we’re sorry to hear that you’re having troubles here. We’re seeing some new error traces in the log snippet you’ve posted. We’re going to take a closer look at your logs.

Can you please let us know if you’re still experiencing this on the latest Roon builds?

Hi Jamie,
Thanks for checking on this. I tried it again last night and it worked somewhat fine. The TV was off and pressing ‘Start Display’ turned the TV on, though the same conflict with Google TV I reported happened again (ie, it didn’t switch to show Roon’s stuff). Unlike before, however, pressing it the second time actually worked now and Roon stuff started casting. So no Roon crash. I will test it a bunch more again as this is a bit random and report back.

meanwhile what do you think is the issue with Roon display not showing when it wakes the TV?

Hi @phi4,

Thank you for getting back in touch with this update, please keep in touch to let us know if this improves. We appreciate your help!

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.