Issues with remote app on iPhone, iPad and Kindle

Roon Core Machine

Windows 10 Pro 19044.1526
Intel Core i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz
64Gb RAM
Roon version 1.8 (build 898) stable (64bit)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Xfinity XB7-T modem
Main Core PC ethernet wired directly into modem
Raspberry Pie with ropieee version 1.8 (build 880) also ethernet wired directly into modem

Connected Audio Devices

USB out of the Raspberry Pie into SMSL SU-9
Balanced output into Yamaha A-S2200
Speakers KEF LS50
Subwoofer Emotiva BASX8

Number of Tracks in Library

A bit over 53,000 tracks

Description of Issue

Exactly as it happened a couple years ago right after an automatic update of my Core, none of the remotes are able to see the Core. I can still play music directly from the core but no remote can see it. I went back to the solution applied in the past and added both Roon.exe and RAATServer.exe to the firewall exceptions with no positive results. Also went into my phone and iPad setting and checked that Roon has access to the local network and that didn’t work either. What can I do?

I assume you have already performed the tried and true full reboot of everything dance?

Yes. All of them rebooted and nothing.

Do you have any of your gear with fixed IP addresses? If not, what happens if you do give each device a fixed IP (outside DHCP scope)?

Hello Sean, Thanks a lot for your suggestion. Yes, everything here has fixed IP addresses. I tried changing to manual but got stuck on preferred and alternate DNS fields since I do not have any experience whatsoever in network configuration. I have friends coming this weekend and it all seems I will be ditching Roon after two years of intense and really good use. This is very frustrating.

Have you updated all the apps too?

Yes. All apps are updated to the latest version.

Have you updated the video card driver to ordinal manufacturer version

Have you checked RAAT is exluded on firewall

Windows updates often cause havoc

Hello Mike,
Yes, video card drivers are fully updated to the most current version and RAAT is also excluded on firewall. I do think it has something to do with a windows update but can’t seem to find the culprit anywhere.

Is the video driver the card manufacturer one

Windows update often overwrites the proper one with its best fit

1 Like

Hey @Rodik,

Thank you for trying all the suggestions from our community (thanks all :bowing_woman:).

@Mike_O_Neill has a really good point, which you’ve also touched on: Windows’ automatic updates can sometimes be unreliable. Uninstalling the graphics drivers and installing them fresh after downloading them from the manufacturer’s website should help.

Please, keep us posted :nerd_face:

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.