Issues with Roon Core on Synology NAS

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Synology 3617xs DSM 6.2.3-25426
Running roononnas core v. 2018-03-07

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Nas is connected via ethernet to Ubiquiti Dream Machine
Port forwarding and firewall rules have been enabled to allow access to other clients in the subnet

Description Of Issue

My issue is an odd one. I installed roononnas and created the RoonServer shared folder; all seemed well at first. The folder was created being admin visible only, encrypted with a key, and checksum enabled.

The roon core was working fine, but upon restarting my NAS, all of my roon clients no longer detected the core upon startup until I clicked “Use another core” button, which then immediately showed my NAS core as an option. However, when selecting this core, all the settings, library data, etc. was gone (i.e. it was like setting up a brand new core). This occurred anytime I restarted my NAS.

So, I assumed that perhaps the encryption of the RoonServer shared folder was causing interference. I tried to edit folder settings on an admin account, but all settings were greyed out. So the only recourse I had was to delete this folder and uninstall the roononnas package, which is what I did (the goal being to try a fresh setup).

However, now when I try to create a RoonServer folder, DSM throws an error: “This operation failed. Please log in to DSM again and retry”. The RoonServer folder does not appear anywhere in the FileStation or Control Panel windows. I can create and delete other Shared Folders with no problem. When I try reinstalling the roononnas package, it doesn’t detect a RoonServer shared folder. So something is amiss.

I’m at a loss as to what to do. Any thoughts on how to fix this and what the root cause of the original “blank” core was?

Many thanks,
Forgz

Hi @forgz,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for reaching out! Can you please use these instructions to upload a set of your Synology logs and share a few screenshots of the DSM config? I’m also tagging @crieke (our Synology expert), perhaps he has some thoughts on what’s going on.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.