Issues with setting up custom genres

I am new to Roon and I am trying to setup some custom genres. I have managed to create new genres and to start to work on the genre hierarchy. There’s a couple of issues though:

1. I can’t find a way of setting a custom image for a genre I create. Some of the genres I have created automatically have an image generated, based on an artist in the genre in the thumbnail view and a collage of album covers in the main view. But some just have the default grey image.

2. When I create new genres in Roon, even though I am using title case, these are showing as being in lowercase, and naturally I would like everything in title case, to match the other genres. Is this a bug?

Could someone offer some guidance here? Thanks.

Hi @nickharambee,

1. You cannot set custom images for any genres — These are generated automatically.
  2. Can you share a screenshot of this?

Thanks for letting me know that I can’t create a custom image for genres Dylan. I am happy for this to be populated automatically. The custom genres that didn’t have an image yesterday do have an image today! Am I right in thinking that these images come from an Artist image for one one of the artists assigned to the genre? That is what appears to be happening. Having said this, I just created a new custom genre and as you can see from the screenshot, it is currently a default image - maybe it just takes some time to populate?

The issue with lowercase remains though for genres I created yesterday. You can also see in the screenshot that Nigeria is in lower case, even though I used title case yesterday. Yesterday I tried deleting the genre and trying again, with the same outcome. Is there a way of editing the text for custom genres - to try again to get title case? The Ghana genre that I created today worked fine.

Hi @nickharambee,

Yes, the image is automatically generated by Roon using images of artists who are associated with that Genre. Give it some time and if you have artists with images for a genre it should update automatically.

Can you share a screenshot of the file tags for the albums where these genres are coming from? Can you also share a screenshot of your Genre Mappings in Settings > Library?

Thanks!

Thanks Dylan. So, yes, I realised that there wasn’t yet an artist image for an artist in the Ghana genre. When I added an artist image, the genre image was added in the thumbnail view. Nothing showing in the background in main view for the Ghana or Nigeria genre yet (i.e. on the single pages for these genres). It looks like this view is always populated with album covers for the genre. Is there a minimum number of albums needed before this populates?

I’m not sure what you mean by this. Can you please clarify.

Here’s screenshots of the genre mappings:

Hi @nickharambee,

Are you manually entering these genres in Roon or are they coming from your file tags?

I am manually entering in Roon.

Thanks for clarifying here, @nickharambee.

I did some testing and I think I understand what happened here. If you enter a genre in in all lower case, it will show as all lower case, even if you enter it in with upper case letters later on. Once a genre has been entered once, there is no way to change this.

I’ve passed a ticket over to our technical team about this for more information and I’ll be sure to follow up when I have their feedback.

Hi @nickharambee,

I checked with the team on this and confirmed the behavior you’re seeing is expected:

When you enter a new genre for the first time, the genre is saved exactly as it is entered. So if you were to enter it in all lower-case letters, that is how the genre will be saved. In the future, even if you enter it with upper-case letters, Roon will detect that the genre already exists and match it to the existing genre which uses lower-case letters.

Right now we don’t allow for genre names to be edited, but I would recommend also posting your suggestion in the 'feature request" section of the site.

Our product team and developers keep a close eye on that category, so that’s definitely the best place to propose a change like this and get feedback from the Community.

Thanks for the feedback, Nick!

Thanks @dylan. I understand that genres can’t be edited, but is there any way of ‘resetting’ user added genres, so that I can get this right from the start? Or, in other words, what would it take for me to be able to enter genres correctly, with title case?

Hi @nickharambee,

At this time it is not possible to do so. Once a genre is entered the first time it is saved in the database. Even if you removed it from all albums, that genre is still in the database and if you add the genre to an album again, even with different capitalization, it will still be the originally entered version.

Thanks @dylan. Can you help me understand the database? Is this associated with my account, meaning that if I wiped Roon from my computer and reinstalled and signed in with the same account, it would still show in lowercase, meaning that the only way to truly start from scratch is to create a new Roon account?

This is pretty important to me - to get all genres looking the same, i.e. capitalised. I have a top level category genre which is all lowercase, and it doesn’t look so good next to all the other genres.

Hi @nickharambee,

It is possible to start a new database without starting a new Roon account. If you were to start a new database, all Roon-specific information you’ve already entered would be lost. If this is something you’re interested in doing still, you’ll need to follow these directions:

• Make a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Close Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Restart/Reinstall the Roon App to generate a new Roon folder

Thanks for the information @dylan. What is the purpose of making a backup of the database? I assume that I won’t be restoring this database, otherwise I would be back with the same genre issue.

Hi @nickharambee,

I always recommend a backup during this process, just in case. In the event that you did want to return to this database for any reason you would at least have the option. But, if you’re 100% sure you do not want to return, this isn’t necessary.