Itunes has compilation albums as one album, roon makes many albums with one (or more) track each

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Macos Mojave, Roon 1.6

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

TEXT GOES HERE

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

TEXT GOES HERE

Description Of Issue

I have roon set to read my itunes library and the .xml in the itunes library.
Seems to load all tracks, find all playlists etc.
But one annoyance is that in album mode it shows compilations that include multiple bands with each band having its own album (rather than one album containing all the tracks).
Is there a setting I’m missing to get roon to listen more to itunes about albums?

No ideas on any features that could solve this problem for me?

Hi @Peter_Galvin1,

Can you share some screenshots of one example of this? Please include how these albums look in Roon and how they’re organized in their storage location via Finder.

Here is one example. This time an album is only shown as 2 albums by Roon. Sometimes they are shown as an album per track as well (so lots of albums).

Hi @Peter_Galvin1,

Using the Son House example — Can you share a screenshot of the file tags for this track?

Hi @Peter_Galvin1,

Based on the screenshots it looks like there isn’t a lot of data for Roon to go off of when trying to group albums appropriately. Adding some data into the file tags would definitely be helpful here. You can read more about the best practices for file tags here in our KB.

Well that would be a lot of work.
But Roon has access to the itunes metadata, and itunes sees it as one album. So perhaps roon needs to give itunes info more priority for things like “what tracks are in an album” etc…
In this case all the tracks are also in the same directory - that should be a clue too, no?

Hi @Peter_Galvin1,

While this is taken into account, we also have to account for those who do not have tracks in this kind of organized way. Roon tries to make the best choice based on all of the data available, but in this case, there isn’t a lot of data to go on.

You can do some manual editing in Roon, like using the Merge Albums function, but the easiest option is likely to add some data using your preferred file tagger to include metadata that will help Roon better be able to identify these albums.

Confusing to me.
If itunes.xml -> gee I guess this person uses itunes
Use the info from the .xml inform the metadata we put into roon
I.e. my experience is that itunes is easy to use / makes sense of my media and roon makes it worse.
I keep using roon because I like the client / server / high quality playback of it but as an itunes user I feel I’m always fighting with it to get it to do what I want and frequently can’t get it to do what I want so have to keep switching back and forth between itunes and roon…

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.