iTunes Playlists imported to Roon are Missing Songs

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Synology DS218+, Roon 1.7 - latest version

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Linksys AC 1900 5ghz network,

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Ipad as Roon Endpoint. USB Connection to Dac.

Description Of Issue

Hi there, I have a couple of questions/issues regarding a recent import of my iTunes playlists.

My Roon library was previously pointed at the iTunes music directory and not at the root with the xml files - I have just changed that and it re-scanned all the music files and the playlists. The playlists are now available in Roon, however there seems to be a few random songs that are missing. For example a list of 25 songs will have 23 available in Roon. The missing songs are visible and playable in Roon, but have not been imported to the Roon playlist from the iTunes playlist. Any thoughts?

Secondly my song counts are all different between Roon, iTunes, and a file count of the music directory. There are maybe two dozen files that Roon has skipped, but the file count is off by a couple of hundred songs. (Roon= 24680, iTunes = 23517, File count = 24463) I haven’t hit across something I can’t find yet and I’m a bit loathe to go through 24,000 songs to check so I thought I’d see if there are any other users that have seen this and if its common. I’m suspecting that the Tidal favourites/playlists are counted in the Roon number?

Thanks, G

Hi @Gerry_Hannochko,

Can you share a screenshot of this playlist in Roon and iTunes?

Do you have multiple versions of the album that this track appears on?

In our KB we have an article about Skipped Files and an article about why some files might be missing from Roon . Ultimately, taking a look at one album that isn’t appearing in Roon at all, including skipped files, will help us understand why it might be missing.

Also, is there any change in what you’re seeing if you go to Settings > General and set Show Hidden Tracks and Albums to Yes?

TIDAL favorites are included in your library count.

Hi there please find attached a sample playlist. There are 26 songs in iTunes and 19 in Roon. On this page you can see that Asi es La Vida, Mi Corazon, and Epoca are missing in Roon. I have confirmed that there are no duplicate named songs or multiple versions for those three songs in my library, and that all three songs in the iTunes playlist are also in my Roon library.

As to the second part - showing hidden files has increased the file count for Roon to 24718 from 2468. I don’t believe that there are any albums that are not showing up in Roon vs iTunes. Is there a way to easily check that? Other than an A-Z manual comparison?

I will review your attached KB articles.

Thanks, Gerry

Hi @Gerry_Hannochko,

Moving forward, let’s focus in on Epoca. Can you share a screenshot of the album where this track appears in Roon? Is the album identified?

No — There is no way to automatically compare the two. If there are any you notice are missing I recommend checking out my documentation above. If you’re still not sure why it’s not showing up just share some details here and I’d be happy to take a look!

Hi Dylan attached is a screenshot of the album and the file path / file info. Cheers, Gerry

Thanks, @Gerry_Hannochko.

Things look okay here — Can you share the iTunes XML file with us so we can take a look? You can share via a shared Dropbox link or any other file sharing service link.

Sure Dylan attached is the xml file. Thanks GerryDropbox to iTunes XML

Perfect, thanks @Gerry_Hannochko — I’ll get this over to the team.

Hi @Gerry_Hannochko,

I spoke with the team and it looks like this is because of the special characters in these track names. Our technical team has been able to reproduce this behavior and we’ve opened up a bug report with our developers.

While I can’t say for certain when this bug will be fixed, getting things reproduced in-house is a critical first step, and I will keep this thread up to date as the team passes along feedback and work begins to get this resolved. Thanks again for the report!

Just going down that path there are also some tracks that are missing in playlists that do not have special characters in track names but do have in album artist names - like Far L’Amore shown below (Raphael Carra with an accent). Thanks, Gerry

Thanks for the update, @Gerry_Hannochko. I’ve updated the ticket to include this and I’ll be sure to follow up once we have further details.

Hello @Gerry_Hannochko,

I wanted to reach out and let you know that we released Roon 1.7 Build 571, which includes some improvements that we believe should help here. Please give the update a try and let us know if it helps!

You can read the full release notes here:

Thanks,
Roon Support

Thanks. I have disabled the import of iTunes playlists due to a separate issue (database corruption with my 230 playlists) so I won’t be able to check. However I am happy that it was addressed and will look for it when the other issue is solved!

Gerry

A post was split to a new topic: iTunes XML file misses tracks in Roon

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.