iTunes Playlists Not Importing on Mac OSX

Hi Norris, thank you for the follow-up. I wasn’t able to test, since Mac’s Mojave update wiped out my computer. It has been a tough couple weeks rebuilding everything.

Throughout this process, Roon is no longer able to find my iTunes playlist. I have tried “Force Rescan” many times under the “Storage” menu. I have “disable” and “enable” 'd it a few times as well. Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Hello @Michael_Urban,

Do you by any chance have the Import iTunes Playlists disabled in the Storage Settings? If you navigate to Roon Settings -> Storage -> Click the 3-dot drop-down menu for the desired storage location -> Toggle Import iTunes Playlists, does it then work? This setting should look like this:

Please let me know if that helps. Also, since moving to Mojave, are you still experiencing the initial issue of music randomly pausing during playback of has that been resolved?

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Norris,
Yes, the upgrade to Mojave (which resulted in me wiping my computer clean and rebuilding piece by piece) resolved the issue with the music pausing after a couple minutes of playback.

Yes, I’ve been playing around with that setting quite a bit, and it is still not importing my playlist from iTunes. I have forced rescan, removed that folder, added a more specific folder, all to no avail.

-Michael Urban

Hello @Michael_Urban,

I have split your posts into a new topic as to better separate the issues from one another (since the original issue of music randomly pausing has been resolved). Can I please ask you to:

1. Upload the iTunes playlist XML file that is not importing properly to our servers (I will PM you a link shortly on how to do this)

2. Provide a screenshot of the path your media is currently stored. Is the media located in /Users/<your_user_name>/Music/iTunes or is it located elsewhere (such as a NAS)?

Please let me know the above information when possible and I can take a look to see if the iTunes XML reveals any more information regarding why the playlist is not importing properly.

Thanks,
Noris

I have attached the screenshot.

Hello @Michael_Urban,

Thank you for sending us the playlist file and posting the screenshot. From the XML, the path you are using seems correct:
file:///Users/michaelurban/Music/iTunes/iTunes%20Media/

I am wondering if it is possible for you to post a screenshot showing that this location is a watched folder in Roon? This option should be listed under Roon Settings -> Storage and this tab looks like this:

I would also take a look at the file path that Roon has saved for these tracks, for example, if we focus on just one track from you playlist here, let’s say “When We Were Young” by Adele from the Calm playlist, can you please locate the track in your Roon library, then right-click to select the file, click the 3-dot dropdown menu next to play now (at the top) and click “View File Info”?

Please post a screenshot of the information you’re seeing in File Info, it should look something similar to this:

Please let me know the above information and we can continue from there.

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @Michael_Urban,

Thank you for providing those screenshots. I am seeing that there are only 24 tracks that have been added from your iTunes folder, are you certain that the tracks referenced in your playlists are still part of that folder?

I would also try the following:

• Disable the current storage location for “This Mac -> Macintosh HD -> Users -> michealurban -> Music -> iTunes” and then add it again with the “Add Folder” button. Do more than 24 imported tracks show up if re-adding this folder manually?

• Is the iTunes XML file saved in that “This Mac -> Macintosh HD -> Users -> michealurban -> Music -> iTunes” folder? From your screenshot I am only seeing the iTunes Library.itl, you would want to include the XML playlist files in the same directory here:
    This [KB Article}(https://kb.roonlabs.com/iTunes) also provides some more insight into how iTunes playlists work in Roon

• Is Import iTunes Playlists and Import Other Playlists set to “Yes” in both your “Music Folder” watched location and “This Mac -> Macintosh HD -> Users -> michealurban -> Music -> iTunes” watched location -> edit storage location? I am asking regarding the seeings listed in this screen:

Please let me know when possible.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Norris,
Those suggestions didn’t help. However, I did find this

toggle. “Share iTunes Library XML with other applications”. I selected it, and it uploaded my playlist into Roon.

Finally.

Hello @Michael_Urban,

Glad to hear that toggling that setting has resolved the issue and allowed you to import your playlists. Just to confirm, is everything working as expected after toggling that option? Please let me know when possible.

Thanks,
Noris

A post was split to a new topic: iTunes Playlists not importing & issues with album art