I've gone metadata crazeee... Help is needed

Hi @Craig_Palmer,

Yes, if more data becomes available we will periodically check and identify accordingly. If you know that changes have been made to an album you can also go to Edit Album and choose Reidentify.

1 Like

usually I:

1. add the album and inspect the metadata added by roon
  2. if they are ok… nothing to do
  3. if incomplete, i add infos. for example, they are usually ok for many albums, but are very (very very) poor for non-english-world (for example, italian music is more or less … absent) or for large box-sets.

as a general rule of thumb:
-roon metadata are more or less ok at album level (metadata relative to whole album)
-they are 50% ok at composition level (most tracks have a related composition and composer). but there is also a 50% of tracks that are orphaned of corresponding composition and composer
-they are 95% completeley missing at track level. i mean: they can tell you that X is playing in the album, but not in which tracks (with exceptions). so if you look for artist/performer X and look for all tracks, you could not find any, even if you have albums with artist X

that’s why in my set up i almost always add these tags:
-WORK and COMPOSER (for composition and composer). this is important so that every track has a composition. besides, you avoid in this way wrong compositions containing additional teck like “bonus track” “live” “remix” and so on…
-PERSONNEL, with various performers track by track. this is the hard task in tagging. but you can develop a way to automatically add these infos (i use discosg) and to automatically edit the tag in the format recognized by roon…

i don’t usually add tech infos like producer and so on… i’m not really interested, and by the way they are at album level, very often already present in roon metadata.