I've Joined the Club

Welcome to the forum, and to Roon! I’ve got a lifetime sub as well for 2, or is it 3 years now? Also running the core on a NUC (used to be ROCK, but I changed that for Win10 to split the resources with PLEX server - I don’t hear a difference with my audio gear). While I don’t have a super expensive audiophile setup, or a gigantic local library, I greatly appreciate the solid groundwork Roon provides for managing and streaming local files + cloud subscription files seamlessly and in high quality. It really is the most elegant solution available. The only thing I dislike is the fact that I can’t use my Roon playlists to stream on the go. I need to make Tidal playlists to be able to access those files on the go, for example in the car… Despite that I still love Roon and I am really glad I grabbed lifetime after my trial…

I still need to experiment with a Pi, that’s on my list…

Have fun!

1 Like

Hello Mark - another new (and happy) Roon user. Have it running on a MacMini (2020 core i7; family hub) , but strongly considering moving Roon to a newer Synology NAS. Current Synology user, music library is there.

Any tips/issues re: Synology?

I’m not running it on my NAS anymore as an SSD was recommended. I moved it over to a NUC.
I was trying to get Ropieee running on my old RPI2 but would never boot, tried a number of different SD cards as well. Will replace that with a RPi4 and a new DAC+ from hifiberry, interested in seeing how this works

2 Likes

Hey, good to see you here!

Welcome @macrho! Big Counting Crows, Riverside and Marillion fans here at Chateau Rockhound!

Thanks @Rockhound ! Lately been getting into Airbag and Levellers, also a big New Model Army fan, check out Impurity as a first album, great stuff.

1 Like

New Airbag album is great - their best work IMHO.

1 Like

Love new model army. Seen them live a few times since about 1986 at Telford. Never seem to play vengeance any more which is disappointing. Been seeing spear of destiny for as long who still play liberator thankfully.

Welcome. Glad to hear of positive things that come out of the current situation. Many of us have been doing creative projects with a focus on our love of music. I love Qobuz. 3TB personal library, impressive.

Welcome, now you won’t turn back, I know I can’t.

Until Roon crashes for no reason and your music can be played via other streaming methods!

:disappointed:

I was a long time user of SqueezeCenter before Logitech took them over and wound up listening mostly through Kodi while had a nice setup with a dac/amp at work for headphone listening. I remember running Windows Home Server back in the day until I finally landed on the Synology NAS for storage. Ripped all my CDs and also use DVD Audio Extractor to rip blu-ray releases.
Going to pick up the KEF LSX to have decent speakers on my home office desk.

It is a disease :smiley:

Bit like COVID 19 No Cure (…Yet…)

Still lots of time to iste during Lockdown :sunglasses:

Lots of music to discover as well. So many different genres
Listening to So by Peter Gabriel, transporting me right back to teenage years
It’s pretty wonderful where music can bring you back to

Hi Gents,

I am a recent user after a trial and and was a bit put off by the techie guys spending fortunes but everyone to their own, although I have been educated by a lot of users here to get what I desired. Basically to start enjoying music again.

I have re-ripped my CD’s using the software in the NUC I bought and was amazed the difference I heard on my old kit between MP3 and FLAC. Being an old Tool Making apprentice of the 1980’s I thought my ear’s maybe wouldn’t notice. My Rasp Pi/Justboom Hat fed into my old Denon amp into my floor standing Kef’s just blew my mind and took me back years.

My next decision was vinyl. Get my old deck out the attic, buy software, cleaning kit etc etc. Maybe too time consuming so I have got rid of all the Vinyl MP3’s rips of my Hard Drive (some very clickey :wink: ) and have taken out a Tidal Hifi account which will change over on Friday. I have downloaded the standard Albums and am impressed so far. Waiting for another jump in quality on Friday. If I don’t hear it, then down grade back to a normal account.

The great thing about Roon/Tidal for me is it has informed me what new material is available out in the world. Some albums I hadn’t got eg later Motorhead albums are a great addition. I was at Hammersmith (London) for a Christmas Bash and it was the first time my Jeans moved when Lemmy (RIP) got his bass going and adding the newer stuff has been good. I have started listening louder since Roon and singing (making a racket the Wife says) more.

Kid A, Radiohead sounds so much more interesting now. I have Roon running Pi/Justboom DACs in Living Room, Kitchen, Bedroom and Garage and it has worked seamlessly so far, even listening to Ned’s Atomic Dustbin again.

Have fun and enjoy.

5 Likes

A nice read…have fun & happy listening. :sunglasses:

Hi, in general and even more so for ripping vinyl, picking a lossy compressed format is not a good idea especially as storage is cheap and bandwidth much higher nowadays than 20 years back when it came strong. Even more so with MP3 that is less faithfull in the treble as other compressed formats like AAC for a given bit rate. Lossless or why not uncompressed is definitely a no-brainer unless one:
-only listens for simple music (not many interprets playing simultaneously)

• only listens in degraded audio conditions (like in a car on in the street)
    No intention to launch a useless polemic topic here but to give a word of advice.
    Enjoy Roon, its partners and its community, other user’s music advice and suggestions in threads like this, outperforms AI-based suggestions!
1 Like

Welcome and enjoy.
Almost all enjoy things more and more over time. Lots of good stuff to discover, roon & music!

Welcome to Roon from another lifer! I began with various players on the Mac Mini like Pure Music and Audirvana then made the move to Roon on the Mac Mini.

I now run Roon on my modest Intel Celeron based Synology NAS with no SSD and no issues. Along with my own CD rips in my local music library I also subscribe to Qobuz and Tidal. I’ve been running this way for a couple years now but my library is relatively small at about 1000 albums. I have a relatively inexpensive Sonore microRendu network streamer and a couple DIY Raspberry Pi streamers running DietPi with Roon Bridge. I control it all from my laptop or iPad.

Congrats!

P.S. A NAS / RAID is not a substitute for backups. The NAS automatically performs nightly backups to an external 8TB USB disk, and I keep another backup elsewhere.

2 Likes

High resolution streaming (Tidal) and Roon has been transformational for me combined with system upgrades. Good internet, great DAC (Brooklyn), Quad Amp and new Dynaudio 30s has been a dramatic step forward. The meta data and recommendation feed is as important as the sound quality, to find new stuff and also remind me of music I had forgotten (probably because of never returned albums). I am listening to Counting Crows because of this feed, and as a personal recommendation try Talk Talk and Mark Hollis solo albums - a genius.

Cheers fellow Rooners

5 Likes