I've upset ROON and it will not play music!

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

TEXT GOES HERE

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

TEXT GOES HERE

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

TEXT GOES HERE

Description Of Issue

TEXT GOES HERE

John, if you want help troubleshooting your problem, include enough detail so that people can help you.

If you are just ranting, please don’t do it in the Support channel. Thanks.

Roon was going fine BUT I was concerned (probably unecessarily) that the 8TB HDD was over full. So I transferred 600GB of music onto another drive and pointed Roon to it.

Ever since I’ve been unable to play files despite uninstalling and re-installing, something which worked before.

So is the backup sensitive to the drives the music is on so will not reinstall properly if the music files are now on 2 drives instead of one? If so, it looks like I’ll have to move all the music back onto that 8TB HDD and only use the new drive for new items.

It is a Windows 7 64 bit system (I’ve abandoned Windows 10 currently) on an ASUS Z87Pro motherboard. The music is on an 8TB constellation drive and on a partitioned 6tb - both drives Seagate.

The system is LAN hard wired and feeds from this PC to an Aries G1 -> DACs etc. Remote control is via an iPad.

It all worked fine before me moving some files across to another HDD.

It seems “Uninstall” does not completely wipe all ROON data so the remaining remnants are causing conflicts. So, if the current reinstallation of data gives the same result as before (music files not playing) I see 2 choices unless offered alternatives:

1. Put all the music files back onto the original drive and live with that with new files only going to the second drive;

or

1. Find an uninstall program that genuinely removes all traces of ROON and start over again. CAVEAT: Would reinstalling the backed up editing data maybe not install in this case? If so 1. is my only option.

Advice please.

OK, I.ve got to this screen many times:

So I hit the button and get this

Kill that, and it appears ROON is loading and I get

Select an audio Zone and this appears

Now I’ve been there before, it loads, I reinstall the data and the whole cycle reapeats with the end point ROON will not play music.
How do I breakl this useless cycle and get Roon to behave?

What exactly are you experiencing when you try to play music?

It is possible (likely) Roon is trying to re-index your library. This could get quite CPU intensive. Do you have a real slow down or does the system appear to be ‘dead’.
First, you could disable the new storage location, does that change the performance of the system (it would basically stop most of the re-indexing).
Sometimes people experience real slow downs when background audio analysis speed is set to multiple cores. You can turn that to OFF or throttle it (under settings>Library)

OK. Just saw your post.
I would definitely disable the new storage location first.
See if that stops the loading. You may need to reboot Roon. But when it comes back it may not try to keep loading all that music.

OK, now this has appeared

So I try to play an album and get this:

Go back select an album and this is wehat I get - it appears to be playing but will not

You are almost home!
Go to Settings>Library>Clean Up Library.
Your are going to have a whole bunch of files show up as files not associated with the storage location (because you switched it). Clean up that mess and you should start getting your music back.
You may want to slow down background audio analysis too.

1 Like

Actually, on checking the settings it seems that ROON 2 is not being accessed.

Go back, try to play another album and I get

The “Playing 6 tracks” message vanishes but no play!!

I’ve done that before but tried again

Sadly the same result - no play

So I thought msaybe a re-boot of Roon would work but get this:

So I dutifully reinstall to get back to this again:

With the same result if I try to play the album - it just does not play.

As I’m going round and round in circles it seems the only way out is:

1. Move all files back onto ROON 1 HDD
  2. Find a program to complete nuke Roon (Suggestions please)
  3. Do a completely new and clean Roon installation
  4. Load up all files from ROON 1 HDD
  5. Reinstate the backup.

Maybe I’m wrong, but it seems thsat the data backup is drive sensitive so Roon cannot reinstall edited data back on 2 drives when it was first recorded from only one drive.

Agree, or any other suggestions?

TIA

You can do that. Agree the backup is drive sensitive. But if you show Roon both drives correctly it will scan them both, repopulate your database and you need to clean up some files.
You are only looking at one drive now. R1. Is that the older, larger drive?
What is the location of the new drive? You show two drives disabled.
If you right click on one of the tracks on Rossini, the top of Roon will show ‘1 selected’. If you click on the three dots one option is view file info. I would bet that is your old storage location and that is one of the files you’ve moved to the new storage location.

Yes, R1 is the original 8 TB HDD. I’ve disabled the other drives because they do have music files on them but are not part of thre “official” Roon dfatabase of music.
Yes you are correct about the track info:

OK, I’ll move all files back onto R1, try the Control Panel uninstall once more.
If that does not work then what other uninstall program would you recommend?

Thanks for you help.

What is your concern about what is “official”? If you turned those drives on, the music would get repopulated. Are you concerned about favorites, history, etc?

Before I went so far to delete everything, I would at least see how Roon deals with the files in a new storage location. It might just figure out they’ve moved and keep all the old data. But that’s beyond my knowledge of Roon.

I’m not sure about how anal one has to be about a clean install. But I would think that if you delete all those folders under Roon, old data would go. I’m on a ROCK now so I don’t know the Roon file structure on Windows.

The D drive is the general data drive and has some back up music files on board. They are already on the drive R, I name Roon 1, so access to drive D is blocked. Same story for the other internal drive.

I’m not deleting any music or other files but am currently moving the music files all back onto Roon 1 where they were before this muck up. That will take about an hour (all these drives are internal. The drives with back ups of the music files are external, with eSata connections, but restoring the music files there on to the one drive only will take 2 hours).

The back up data is on a different drive and also on an extremal memory stick so would not be lost with a clean install. But perhaps someone else who reads this thread can advise about the clean install question? Is it advisable or am I getting paranoid??

Thanks again for you help and concern.

Did you review this page of the knowledge base
It might answer some questions

https://kb.roonlabs.com/FAQ:_How_do_I_move_my_collection_to_a_new_folder%2C_hard_drive_or_NAS%2C_Will_I_lose_my_edits%3F

Thanks for that. No, I did not see that.

However I sense the problems I’m having are that the original drive R1 is still being used by Roon but did no longer have all the music files on board. The knowledge base refers to a situation where new drives are used. The fact I’m still using R1, but only partially, appears to have upset Roon.

I’m putting all music files back onto R1 now.

Do you have any suggestion about a clean uninstall of Roon before I start over again?

TIA

PS: And I see why I might be having problems - in the “uninstall” I did not check the settings and databases box. Now done so maybe the Control Panel uninstall will do the trick and not uninstalling properly before is why I’ve had all the strife.
Maybe even moving some music files out of R1 would not have caused problems if I had been more careful about the Roon uninstall before.
But I’ll leave them all back on R1 now but puit new ones on the new drive,
Touch wood it can get reinstated OK.

Next Day:

Yes it is finally all back together. New files are being put on the second drive and Roon accesses them transparently. I remain puzzled about the problems struck and think I was missing something somewhere.

Anyway, no point in being paranoid about the HDD being “too full” . Nominally 8TB there is actually only 7.35TB available with 6.68TB of music there leaving a bit over 600GB free so defrag etc is not a problem. It seems the “Red” warning by Microsoft (suggesting it is too full) can be ignored.

Back to the music. Thanks ROON :slight_smile:

1 Like