JazzRadio.com stations keep stopping [Ticket In]

I’ve added several high quality premium stations from jazzradio.com to my Roon and for all of them the stream is stopping at the end of the first song. If I hit play the station starts back up for another song then stops again. I’ve tried some other (non-Jazz Radio) stations and they seem to work fine. The same Jazz Radio URLs work fine on my Sonos so it doesn’t appear to be an issue with the source.

Here is an example URL: http://listen.jazzradio.com/premium_high/bebop.pls?listen_key=<your_key_here>

Unfortunately the high quality streams require a subscription so I can’t give a working example.

Any thoughts?

Hi @Mark_Hellkamp — Thank you for the report and sharing this observation with us!

Being as you can’t share a sample link with us (no worries), I would like to enable diagnostics on your account so we can have a closer look at “what is happening” when the radio station is being played. However, before we enable the mentioned diagnostics may I kindly ask you to perform the following:

• Please play the radio station in Roon and take note of the song that is playing and what time the stream stops.

Thanks!
-Eric

Hi Eric,

I just played a couple of their stations again. One ran fine for about an hour and a half before I stopped it. The other stopped at the end of the first track that played. The song was called “We Three Kings” and stopped at 8:22 PM pacific time.

Mark

Thanks for the follow up and providing the requested information, @Mark_Hellkamp. Both are very appreciated!

Now that we have a sense of when the error occurred I have went ahead an enabled the mentioned diagnostics on your account. What this action will do is the next time Roon is active on your core machine a diagnostics report containing a set of your Roon logs will automatically be generated/uploaded directly to our servers.

Once the report has come in a support team member will follow up with you to confirm that it has been received.

-Eric

Hey @Mark_Hellkamp

I just upped my subscription to premium (was planning to do so for a while).

So far things are flawless here – which stations are giving you grief? And in which format do you play them?

Hi @RBM,

I was fairly consistently seeing it on the Holiday Jazz station and did see it on the Bebop station as well. I’m using the premium link for TuneIn compatible devices (see https://www.jazzradio.com/apps). As I said, I had no trouble using the same link on my Sonos so it doesn’t appear to be an issue with the feed.

Hello @Mark_Hellkamp,

I have checked our diagnostics server and I see that the report has still not come in yet. Is your machine still powered on and connected to the internet? Just to save some time here in case there are issues with communication, can I please ask you to manually submit your logs as a shared Dropbox or Google Drive link using these instructions? If you don’t have either service just let me know and I can provide an alternate upload method.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi @noris,

I sent the link via PM.

Mark

Hello @Mark_Hellkamp,

I took a look at your submitted logs but there was no error messages during that time, it appears as if the stream came to the natural end of playback from what I see. I am not sure if there is something specific in that stream link that is causing Roon to think that it has ended but I will ask QA if they can take a look, although please be aware it may take a bit of time to hear back since part of the team is out for the holidays.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi, I am new to Roon but have been a longtime subscriber to JazzRadio.com. I am experiencing the exact problem between JazzRadio.com and Roon. The channels seem to be stopping after a song or two or three. Each channel stream stops. I have successfully used this stream on iTunes and Bose SoundTouch apps with no stopping. Roon is the only one stopping. There isn’t much information on this problem. Has anyone solved this problem or found a workaroundI am running Roon on a dedicated MacMini 2018 that is directly connected to an Onkyo receiver via HDMI. I’ve contacted JazzRadio.com but they have given me some things to try but didn’t work.

I’m still running into this issue as well. Over the holidays I tried using it again and it worked for about an hour and then seemed to stop at the end of every track. I really didn’t feel like trying to track this down again so I just played it via my Sonos setup, which works fine.

Hi @LennyBoy/@Mark_Hellkamp,

We don’t have access to this radio station since it appears to be a paid subscription service and without reproducing on our end it would be difficult to track down this behavior. We plan to reach out to JazzRadio.com to see if they would be willing in giving us a demo account.

Hello @Mark_Hellkamp/@LennyBoy,

We were able to source a JazzRadio demo account and tested for this behavior in the lab.

I wanted to touch base with some good news, which is that our technical team has been able to reproduce this behavior (intermittently) and we’ve opened up a bug report with our developers.

While I can’t say for certain when this bug will be fixed, getting things reproduced in-house is a critical first step. Although the nature of this issue is that it only very intermittently occurs, a ticket has been filed and added to the review queue.

Thanks again for the report!

2 Likes

Hi Noris, I checked with the last Roon update and the solution to the Jazz Radio intermittent stopping issue was not part of it. Do you have an estimation of when this will be addressed? I know that the world is upside down right now so I’m just looking for any feedback on this issue.

Thank you for your attention.

Hello @LennyBoy,

Yes, that is correct. I just checked the status of the ticket and I see that it is still in the backlog queue.

As I mentioned earlier, I cannot comment on a timeline of when it will reach the front of the development queue, but I have notified QA of your interest in this issue and as soon as I have further news, I’ll be sure to update you accordingly.

Thank you for your patience here!

Hi there!
Any news on this? It’s quite annoying hear the silence every few minutes :confused:

Still waiting…

Hello @Albert_Einstein, @LennyBoy and everyone :wave: ,

While I wish I was the messenger, I’m afraid I do not have any updates to share. I wanted to chime in and thank you for following up on this and to let you know that support is closed over the weekend, so there won’t be any replies on Saturday or Sunday.

Our team will share any updates as soon as there are any. Please, bear with us a little longer :bear:

As of last December this was no longer a problem for me. I’ve not tried listening since then (I use it for Holiday music) so it’s possible there are still some issues with this.

Still having the problem. Any status?