JRiver can sound better than Roon, it's scientific ;)

My friend - I believe you have missed my point!

Roon is best to me too, I just want to help make it better!

Pls read about equal-loudness contour studies, it is as scientific as it gets.
Many industry standards and professional recording practices are based on these studies, for better or for worst.

In any case I did wrote “can sound better”.

I don’t!
I use Roon but actually combine it with a free open-source project called Equalizer APO to get the loudness function. I even wrote about it here in our community -

If you’re keen in the technical details you’ll notice that -

1. It is a theoretical compromise in SQ, since this is only supported with the “System Output”, i.e. no exclusive mode, but it really sound much better at lower volumes so “Exclusive Mode” vs. “Loudness” - loudness wins almost every time. Just to communicate the level of improvement and enjoyment with this feature.
  2. Worse - without native support this workaround is only achievable for folks connecting their DAC/AVRs directly to Roon core.

In light of all the amazing things Roon has accomplished, the open source reference and the awesome suggestions made over several threads on this subject - it should be fairly simple for the Roon devs to implement.

The whole purpose of the Feature Request category, right? Help make Roon better.
It might have been a harsh angle to take, naming a competitor like this. I want Roon to be the best player possible, especially SQ wise. No compromises.

Hope your heart is settled.

1 Like