JRiver can sound better than Roon, it's scientific ;)

It sure was*. What’s the harm in that?

*(An attention grabber, not dishonest. My very honest attempt is to get attention to features I think will make my favorite player, Roon, even better.)

Worrying about a title is to me taking this whole thing a bit too seriously. I mean, there is an art to writing something that engages people to respond. “Please implement loudness” wouldn’t have been nearly as interesting.

That said I don’t have an issue with a philosophical discussion about what “scientific” means or its methods.

1 Like

Thank you!

I didn’t mean to suggest there was any great harm in it (especially compared to the dishonesty that emanates from nearly every politician’s mouth on a daily basis). I don’t really care if someone, expecting a discussion of how different software ostensibly feeding identical bitstreams from the same hardware to the same hardware sounds different, was disappointed.

I am only disappointed that you obviously didn’t read my original post to conclude that this was my expectation :slight_smile:

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: Ease of playing miscellaneous music files

Every word of it.

So, this part was meant to convey my attitude towards “audio voodoo” -

Could’ve probably phrased it better, I’m not a native speaker. Was hoping the smirk would come across :smirk:

No, it’s you who are misconstruing me. What I meant was, someone could have read your title, jumped in eagerly expecting an audio voodoo discussion, read what you actually wrote, and been disappointed.

OK! Got it now! :slight_smile:
Always happy to disappoint audio voodoo practitioners :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Just buy yourselves some Meridian DSPs - loudness, tilt, etc., all built in and switchable at the click of a remote and all carried out transparently in the digital domain :sunglasses:

Don’t personally use loudness much, as DSPs already compensate for low listening levels, but occasionally use tilt to compensate a little for overly bright or muddy recordings.

I honestly find the flexibility useful so I can understand the request for these kinds of features to be added to Roon. I would use them if I had non-Meridian kit.

If money was no object…
Meridian are very nice.

Also for me software is part of the hobby - computer+audio :slight_smile:

Yes if that aspect is part of your hobby, I understand. Personally I can’t wait to get away from the computer after work :wink:

I liked your post and I think I might have another point - What do you feel about the level of engagement Roon devs have with the Roon Community?
Perhaps a new topic is warranted.

You will see me active on both , as mikeo on JRiver

The 2 products have very different features. I have been a JRiver user for 7 yrs, Roon for 7 months

The jury is till out, the comparison is apples and pears so I finish up running both.

Eg I run a Samsung Soundbar for my TV and background music, via DLNA . Roon can’t do this.

Classical navigation is still wanting in Roon

I agree sound quality is subjective but everyone’s entitled to a chirp now and then

Mike

It’s definitely a new topic versus loudness contour. On engagement, I’ve never seen a team as engaged with their users as the Roon team.

Individual developers developing software as a hobby or second stream of income…sure I have seen quite a few instances where there is even more developer/community interaction. But when it comes to a company with full time employees being engaged, I’ve never seen more than Roon.

1 Like

This topic seems to have drifted quite a bit, but I think the idea of a Fletcher-Munson type volume control’s a great idea to add to the DSP toolkit in the future.

3 Likes

… with some delays:
Great to receive comments about why not using Meridian products after commenting on another recommending to use Tidal, in a tribune about Roon.
So with Meridian hardware and Tidal software, I could even avoid Roon, right ?

…I know Meridian products and Meridian is one of the leaders in digital audio, that they started early on. What is nice with Roon, is that it does not bind you with specific hardware Endor. Yet its digital transfer and DSP features are as transparent as the best on the hi-end market. That is why it makes sense to perfect some basic functionalities, while keeping the transparency of the audio path.

Something else now. Has anyone experienced the same difficulty as me with his Roon playlists after changing hard-drive path or name (for backup and safe storage reasons) ? Maybe I should open a thread on this…All tracks from previous path become unavailable.
Is there a trick for example to export the playlists, edit the path by global substitution then reimport ?
I did not find any solution except than remove and replace manually EACH track. Hundreds of them in playlist. This is dumb work and time lost while a simple functionality should enable to change path or propose alternate paths, perhaps more elegant.
No external disk is warranted for lifetime, and no network configuration will last forever, so this playlist stuff is a general issue that I would like ROON developers to consider. Those need to evolve somehow!

I would love to hear about this! Could you update this thread, when any progress is made about this?

I would love to move my whole audio setup to Roon, but I need fletcher-munson for this, because I quite often have to hear at low volume levels. I self implemented this using digital room correction filters loundness correct through sox and then switching the filters in brutefir via its CLI. It was quite a pain to grep the volume from airplay to apply volume changes from airplay via script to brutefir.

No bites in my Tinkering lure:

A couple of other interesting threads on the topic here: