Jukebox mode screen in Roon

I would really like to have a Jukebox mode in Roon, where songs I select could come up looking like a jukebox display. I would think then I could add a touch screen if I wanted. Just a way to potentially make my stereo more accessible to people unfamiliar with HIFI…

Moved to feature requests

@mark_kytta I’ve been thinking along a similar line: how do I make the act of browsing/selecting music more engaging when casual-listening … or when others are interacting with the music?

There are a couple use cases I’m leaning on roon for:

• Engaged listening, with deliberate library curation
  • Casual listening: quickly getting to something good with minimal “touchpoints” (don’t want to fumble with device, have to make 1,000,000 decisions) and keeping it going.

The second one is what currently holds my attention: what is the best way for me, and others, to interact with music in this manner?

Possibile approaches

• [simple, but clunky] Pre-curated list of albums/radio stations in standard roon UI, using ‘guest’ profile (or something that sandboxes the listener)
  • Make a webapp that exposes the above in a simplified interface … tap album to play, when it ends, system automatically queues up related one from playlist (listener still has to have a device to do this; dedicated kiosk-mode iPad?)
  • Something else entirely different …

I landed in this thread after searching the web for “Roon” and “jukebox” – expecting to land in the long, older thread about requests for sandbox capabilities. After three weeks of Roon this is the only thing I’m missing: the ability to let guests browse through and listen to my music without being able to change any of my settings.

Access could be via a separate or stripped down app, on a guest’s mobile device or a device of mine in kiosk mode. Listening could be on their mobile device or I could grant permissions for one or more of my devices.

You could set up a Tag and dump anything you want in there and then play randomly or otherwise \

The psuedo Wurlitzer look wouldn’t be my first thought for Roon but then I never use display just the normal Roon Remote on a 12.9 iPad, I could avoid the “jukebox screen” if it came to that.

It really depends how the look and feel gels with Roon Management’s view of where the app is going

I wonder how much work would be involved in prototyping something like this …

As others have commented, this use case doesn’t seem to line up with the roon mothership’s current M.O./product strategy, so it’s something we may never see officially supported … or wait a long time to see.

Running with what @Mike_O_Neill’s line of thinking: a web app that surfaces what’s in that tag/playlist and controls playback to a pre-set roon endpoint.

I’m guessing there are people hanging around in #tinkering who could give us a sense of how deep this rabbit hole could go …

Hi, good ideas,

Roon is fantastic to me as music management, player in a magazine sort of way. All the music and more, so many choices…great!
But sometimes you want something easy just to play music without turning on a tv or grabbing an Ipad.

I want a device that for example looks good in the living room, and makes it very easy to select and just play music. Not only by me, but also by my wife.
Started some time back to create my idea that I had envisioned. Just a hobby project that needs to be finished…

Best.

I’m only voting for this if they implement the Wurlitzer Bubbler as an animation. :slight_smile:

But, otherwise, yes this sounds like fun but would it require a large touchscreen to be useful? or would a tablet sized layout still work?

Nice idea. It got my vote.