Just downloaded Roon Core server and ... nothing

Hi, I just started the 14-day trial. Downloaded app.
Installed to my Win10PC and told install that this was to be my Roon server (it has my music library locally installed).
The install process asked me about Tidal, I logged into it, thinking it means to deal with my Tidal account somehow.
Roon also asked where I keep my music files, I selected the folder that has my library.

The Roon window in what looks like a browser-like window keeps disappearing ever since.

I try to restart the Roon executable the install placed on my desktop. I get a Roon window asking where my music library is, but it doesnā€™t last long, in about 7 seconds that Roon window just disappears. If I start it back up I get the same result.

I assume itā€™s scanning my music folder. Would it be locking up trying? Every time I try to run the Roon desktop icon it only stays up for a few seconds and disappears.
What am I doing wrong?
Nothing else is happening. I rebooted and still same.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Roon. Same thing.

When run the Roon.exe, I get a Roon window (looks like a min-browser) and it looks like it wants me to direct Roon to my music library folder on Windows. But in <10-seconds it just disappears, window is gone with no error message.

Is there any way to ask questions here? Iā€™m completely new. It seems like an interesting service. It looks like itā€™s trying to walk me through setup, but it ends abruptly.

@support, can someone assist?

Iā€™ve moved this to the Support thread so that it gets more attention.

Silly question time - have you downloaded Roon, or Roon Server?

The server option doesnā€™t have a user interface (you use a remote) and is intended for ā€˜headlessā€™ use.

Hi, thanks for offering to help.

I tried to install Roon Core to my Win10 PC. Iā€™m a first time user, Iā€™ve got audio hardware that says itā€™s Roon Ready so I wanted to test this one first, since I need something to bring order to my music library.

The downloaded file was RoonInstaller64.exe

After completing the download unpack/install process, I got to a Roon window where I selected ā€œSet up a Roon Core on this PCā€ because it has my music library locally installed.

After pointing the setup window to my music library folder the Roon window disappeared. This kept happening over and over whenever I tried to restart the Roon.exe shortcut on my desktop. Iā€™d see the Roon window with the path to my music library set, which was the last action I was able to perform in the software, then in about 5 or 7 seconds the Roon software window would just disappear. No error messages, just gone.

I even uninstalled and reinstalled from scratch and Iā€™d get to the same point and it would happen again, disappearing Roon window with my library location set.

So, I uninstalled and unsubscribed from Roon, reasoning I donā€™t want to use up time on the 14-day trial waiting for help. But this is getting quick responses which is great!

Can I restart my 14-day trial again? There is no option to restart it, I can only subscribe directly if I want to try it now.

Iā€™d still like to test out Roon if I can use a trial.

Thanks!
Wayde

Hi Wayde,

That looks like the correct installation file to me, so as far as I can see youā€™re not doing anything ā€˜wrongā€™.

Roon does have some (perhaps unexpected) graphics dependencies, so itā€™s worth checking that you have the latest drivers installed, in particular the OpenGL bits. Thatā€™s not always what W10 update finds - you might have to go to the graphics manufacturerā€™s site.

If that doesnā€™t work, Roon Support ā€˜properā€™ will want to know what spec your PC is, OS version, graphics card, etc. so that they can help you. Theyā€™ll be along shortly!

Oh, thatā€™s interesting you mention the graphics dependencies.

Iā€™ve got some silly Nvidia gaming app installed, it was just part of the driver install when I got this card, not too up-to-date but has a practical GPU that may have actually been ā€œgoodā€ about five years ago. The tool informs me of updates and what not, with a lot of extra stuff I donā€™t use. I didnā€™t mention it in the trouble descriptions because I didnā€™t think it was relevant, but I am noticing that the Nvidia gaming toolā€™s logo pops up when the Roon software crashes/disappears.

Iā€™ll double check it to see if it was trying to inform me of a graphics driver error or something. Iā€™ll ensure I have an up-to-date driver and will probably just uninstall that Nvidia tool too. I donā€™t generally care for PC tools that try to do things for me when I donā€™t tell it to.

Thanks for the help, that really gives me some next steps to try.

The most recent Win10 update seem to play games with video drivers !!

There have been reports on NVidia cards on the forum. Getting the latest NVidia driver is a good start. Install it then reboot everything in sequence , network first then PC core . Let each step finish before starting the next one .

Depending on how big your library is, Roon will take a while to load and then to analyse it

If you go to Settings> Library > Background audio analysis speed and set it to Throttled that will release most of your processing power. Before you go to bed set it to max and let it go overnight

You will see a rotating circle in the top R while Roon is working and you will see metrics in the settings window

PS is your C Drive an SSD or a spinning HDD ? Roon is fairly demanding on the SSD requirement

Good Luck

Hi, Mike

Thanks for the instruction. I figured the initial library scan/build by Roon would take a long time and hog resources so I tried to do it last overnight, Iā€™ll try again tonight. While I get most of what you said, what does this part mean?:

ā€œnetwork first then PC coreā€

By network, is there a portion of the Roon install called Network, as opposed to Core? Or do you just mean I need to be attached to my network?

I thought installing Core would be my first step, as I assume itā€™s the server that will provide info to all the other Roon capable components on my network. I thought Iā€™d worry about actual players later. TBH, I donā€™t really plan on using the server to playback music, at least not very often. My real use for it is a device in my bedroom with my headphone amplifier setup that includes a media streamer box that just got an update recent from the manufacturer that makes it Roon-able. Iā€™m not sure if that means Roon Ready, or if itā€™s now a ā€œRoon End Pointā€, or if those terms are interchangeable.

But Iā€™m hoping to be able to send playback commands through my local network, to the media streamer from a Win10 laptop or phone running a Roon client. I envision it being similar to UpNP that I am already using to do this.

At least that the vision I have in my head as to how it will go down, I realize Iā€™m in for a learning curve. But I assume the first step is to get the Roon server/Core setup first, if I understand correctly.

Oh, my server PC has an SSD HDD for the OS and thatā€™s where Iā€™d like to install Roon. Unfortunately my music library is on a mechanical drive in the same computer. Itā€™s been assigned a drive letter so I didnā€™t think Roon would have any problem finding my Music Backup folder on that drive. Itā€™s a giant folder though, but shouldnā€™t be too bad. It might be creeping up above half a TB.

Thanks
Wayde

Sorry not clear :sunglasses:, I meant restart your internet/home network. Turn everything off , then start your modem , wait until itā€™s finished then start your Router wait until the internet light shows a connection.

Only then restart your Core PC to ensure that you can see the Roon Cloud services.

Roon will have installed by default onto your C drive , the Roon library will be there too, a Spinning HDD for your music files is fine, itā€™s the library SSD thatā€™s demanding

Also might be worth sharing your PC spec to see if it meets minimum requirements

0.5 TB is a small library :joy:, in Roon terms , someone the other day was mentioning 14 tb, mine is teetering to the 4tb number. Roon has no trouble with libraries of this size other than the initial analysis step. Your 0.5 shouldnā€™t take too long

PS change the driver before the restart if you are going to.

2 Likes

Okay, gotcha, full network restart modem/router.

Iā€™ll look for a step where I can tell Roon where to store its files and db, because now that I think of it, the SSD is partitioned into two drives. C: contains the OS and not much else, the alt drive letter has most of the space on my 1TB SSD. I should probably ensure Roon installs its db and files on the secondary drive letter. The extra drive is a 2TB that only keeps a backup of my music collection and a few old movies.

Basic PC specs: CPU is Intel i5 7600, 3.5GHz. 16GB RAM across two sticks of whatever memory was compatible and considered fast for gaming purposes about two/three years ago (that was my last upgrade). Graphics card is an nVidia, GTX 1050Ti 4GB vram. Itā€™s served me well for about five years now, so itā€™s a bit behind. I wouldnā€™t have thought that my PC specs would be a problem, but maybe Iā€™m just scraping by. Time flies and my 'puter is getting older, just like me.

Iā€™m pretty sure my music library is around 600GB. I dumped a lot of older quality files not long ago that got it way below 1TB. Iā€™ve been collecting 16/44 and hi-res music files, mostly FLAC, I donā€™t use any DSD. Good to know thatā€™s considered small. Iā€™ve tried to use older programs that claimed to be able to do some of Roon basic functions, but without Roonā€™s extra features, but theyā€™d always choke on my collection library. I figured itā€™s time to try one of these again, I think the technology has caught up with the need. Roon seems pretty cool.

Thanks for all the help!

The GTX 1050Ti has the required OpenGL support, but itā€™s still worth checking the drivers. Iā€™ve seen some people have problems with multiple monitor setups too. Are you running such a setup?

I donā€™t think there is an option to put the database anywhere than the boot drive - if space is really tight, this might be the problemā€¦

Do you have another pc you could try? Itā€™s possible - with care - to migrate the core (and database) to another machine later.

Iā€™ve already updated the drivers today since Iā€™m working from home now. But most of this work is going to have to happen later tonight. I donā€™t have anything installed right now, since it was crashing on me uninstalled. But Iā€™ll give it another try tonight with these instructions.

Does the Roon storage space requirements roughly correspond to the size of your library? I could clear out some space if needed, but Iā€™m sure my C: drive has at least 300GB, I think I may even have a game or two on it that I can just remove.

Does the OpenGL support just come video card and regular drivers? I recall OpenGL back in the Quake days, I think we needed to install it separately. But I guess itā€™s become a bit more mainstream since those days so thereā€™s a good chance itā€™s just supported by the hardware.

The only other PC I have is a Surface laptop, itā€™s newer than my main PC so it may have a more powerful CPU but I donā€™t think it has much space. I actually wanted to use the Surface to run whatever client-side software Roon uses for exploring the music while it plays back on my media streamer audio component. But, obviously I donā€™t really know how this works in practice.

Are you trying to install Roon on the same drive you are trying to use as your Roon ā€œwatchedā€ drive with your music files? That might be the problem.

I donā€™t think you can choose an install location , by default it is the boot drive (normally C:)

The spec looks fine

600 Gb is ā€œTinyā€ compared to some , not big enough to worry Roon

I would try the driver first

1 Like

You guys are awesome! If Iā€™d known there was so much community support with this I would have tried this earlier.

@Jim_F
ā€œAre you trying to install Roon on the same drive you are trying to use as your Roon ā€œwatchedā€ drive with your music files? That might be the problem.ā€

Iā€™m a fresh out of the womb noob that hasnā€™t even installed the first component of this software yet. The .exe seems to walk you through setting up the Core first, so I was putting on that on my main local storage computer.

I (sort-of) assume the Roon system works on a client/server relationship with clients being either ā€œplayersā€ or ā€œstream directorsā€, I donā€™t really know Watched is, but I think maybe the main music library directory, so this would be on what Roon calls the Core?

Core was the first thing I was trying to install. Iā€™ve got a few things to try. Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll catch on once I get the initial software install working. But I have no idea how Roon works yet.

Thanks for the help guys!

1 Like

You may want to ignore my post. Itā€™s been a while since I installed Roon on a computer and might be confused.

Thanks for the link. I went with Nvidia thinks is the latest for my card. But Iā€™ll check this out too asap. 'preciate all the help.

No prob, Jim, Iā€™ve got a few leads to follow. I appreciate the offer to help and dropping some direction.

1 Like