Just downloaded Roon Core server and ... nothing

Hey, Mike.

I just downloaded the latest driver from Nvidia. It’s dated late April 2021. The one in the link is dated Feb 2019, not sure if maybe I should go back? It’s worth a try because that latest driver I have installed now isn’t doing any good.

Freshly uninstalled Roon, fresh vid-card driver update, shut down PC, restart router/modem. Reboot PC, fresh install of Roon Core.
Login to Roon from the Roon software window.
Select “install Roon Core to this PC” option, as opposed to looking for another Roon server or a dedicated Roon machine on the Network.

I get as far as this screen (linked below) then it disappears, poof, Roon is gone.

Subsequent restarts of Roon just gets a brief window with the Roon logo in some kind of busy state, then it goes away again, only faster.

Reboot machine and I’ll get back to that image window for about five to ten seconds, then it disappears.

I’m pretty sure I don’t know how to add an image here, hope it worked.
But it’s just a screen of a fresh Core server install showing settings I meant to save. I expect this screen would be the last thing I’d see before Roon started scanning my library. But it never gets to that point… that screen just disappears.

This whole thing sounds like an Antivir issue? Or similar conflicting software.
Can you please tell what (if any) software is running on the computer simultaneously?

That screen is a good start as long as it stays !

I go along with Anti Virus

Maybe stop your AV temporarily and try again

It may be something is stopping your connection to the Roon Cloud

This is looking like @support

AV or a Windows Firewall issue? After Roon disappears from your screen, is Roon.exe still running (check Task Manager)? If so, Roon server may be running so you may be able to access Roon Core from another device (phone or tablet running Roon app) on your network. Worth trying anyway as support may ask about this.

Good points! It does seem like something a malicious software would do.

Could it be some kind of security setting, maybe my PC is disallowing a port connection or something that Roon needs? I’ll check if Windows Defender is doing anything untoward as far as I can identify.

I’ll strip Windows 10 down to only the trash it doesn’t let me uninstall, it’s as bad as a Samsung phone that way. Then I’ll do a virus/malware scan.

Then maybe even do a Windows repair or reinstall to see if maybe the OS is missing some .dlls or something, if that’s still even a thing with Windows. In the old days you used to have do that all the time.
Then start again.

This task list could take awhile. But I’m not giving up, this is starting to piss me off now. :wink: But thanks for the continued suggestions!

Support got hold of me yesterday, which is good, no complaints there, they gave me some things to do but they’re way behind you guys.

Sounds rather aggressive, is this their new approach? :grinning:

Not everything suggested here, support is still at the point of asking me to uninstall/reinstall graphics driver before a fresh install of Roon. Which I have done.

From Support:

The symptoms you’ve described seems to point to an issue we’ve encountered before. We’ve seen that Windows’ automatic updates can sometimes prove to be unreliable; could you please manually install the graphics drivers before reinstalling Roon:

• reboot the Windows machine
  • uninstall your graphics drivers
  • navigate to the manufacturer’s website and download the graphics drivers directly from there
  • install the graphics drivers

In response I’ve sent a rendition of my earlier post with screen shots. It’s after following their instruction. Hopefully they’ve got a specific thing to try.

The next thing I’ll try, since my music library is on the smaller-side, will be to move it to my SSD.

I wouldn’t go too mad stripping the PC . Maybe any game related stuff, GPU Using stuff.

My core is my general PC running all sorts, the only difference I suspect is Intel Integrated graphics rather than a video card. Bit drastic but if you pull the video card will it default to Intel?

Mine runs , Roon, jriver SQLServer , visual studio, literally all sorts with no clashes

1 Like

Hey @Wayde_Robson,

A belated welcome to the Roon community :wave: It’s great to read your interactions with our other subscribers - thank you for engaging and trying all the proposed solutions.

It looks like we’re already having a conversation over email. We’re happy to help in any way we can :pray: .

Or rather than go ape about the graphics drivers, you could try and install Roon Server on your machine?
As a test, i mean. Thing is, you’d need to access it through your smartphone or tablet, but if it does start and becomes available for configuration, you did have graphics issues.

I still think it’s some antivir/antimalware issue, but still worth a try. :slight_smile:

Edit: “Roon Server” is the server part, and audio output part, but not the graphical interface, to be clear.
You will find it a bit downwards on this page:

2 Likes