Just Got My Nucleus - It doesn't see my Windows PC

Actually, you want your PC to see your Nucleus. It should ask you which device is your core and you tell it to use the Nucleus as your core. At the point, your PC is a Roon control device. Then you follow the instructions to restore your backup to your Nucleus. Finally, you will need to point your Nucleus core at your “watched” folder and setup your Roon audio devices. I don’t remember, but they may already show up from the restore.

Maybe reinstall Roon on the Win PC

With luck you won’t have cleared the library, during uninstall. You have elect to delete Roon files

When I go to Storage and look to add a folder to watch, my only choice is the Nucleus. My PC doesn’t show up in the browse.

I don’t think you want to use your PC to host your music files. That means the PC would always have to be up and running, etc. I think you can do it that way, but it’s better to use an internal SSD installed in your Nucleus or a USB drive attached directly to your Nucleus or both. Can you move your USB drives to your Nucleus?

Deleted some incorrect information here. Roon will not try to reformat an attached USB drive.

If you want to try to use your PC and see how that works, you have to share the drive across your network. That is a process that I am not familiar with or not familiar enough to try to explain it. I think you go into Windows 10 File Explorer and make the drive a shared drive, etc.

Well, I’m now back in a situation where Windows 10 Upgrade causing Roon not to work on my PC. Having tried to reload Roon multiple times after I had kept it running for 7 days waiting for my Nucleus to arrive. Reloading Roon got me into Windows 10 PC upgrade hell again.

I can attach one of my Backup 8TB drives to the Nucleus with a copy of my music on it. That will mean everytime I add new music I’ll have to detach the drive and add the files to it from my PC and then manually reattach it to the Nucleus.

My PC is a desktop and it is always on anyway.

I have a Dell software support contract. I will contact them to see if they can fix the Roon loading issue on my PC.

The only reason you actually need Roon on your PC is to use it as a Roon control device. You can control Roon using an iPad or iPhone running the Roon app. There is also an Android app. I use my Dell laptop as a Roon control device and it definitely is my preferred control device.

To copy music files from a Windows drive to the Nucleus, you would use Windows File Explorer. You don’t need Roon on the PC for that process. It a simple matter of dragging and dropping the files from the Windows drive and folder onto the USB drive that you attach to your Nucleus.

Deleted some incorrect information here. Roon will not try to reformat an attached USB drive.

Good news. I was just informed by someone that Roon only ask to reformat internal drives that you would install in your Nucleus. Roon does not ask to or need to reformat a USB drive that you would attach. So, I suggest you attach your USB drive and tell Roon that is your “watched” drive. Once you get all this working, someone will be along to help you create a network link from your PC to your Nucleus so you can drag and drop other music as necessary using Windows File Explorer.

In addition: I just noticed that this entire discussion is in the Roon Support forum. Since I am just another Roon customer, I probably should not even be trying to help you in this forum. So, I will bow out and let you deal with Roon Support from here on out. I do hope I have been of some help. Good luck with it.

This seems to getting confusing, when you connect the Nucleus to the network , does it show in File Explorer on the Windows pc?

If it does, does an external connected USB drive show up ?

If so you can keep your files on the main PC and synchronise with the PC

You seem to want to use the PC as a NAS , is that what you’re after

The nucleus is designed as a Server , so you can connect a drive internally or externally

I suspect you are trying to do some hybrid between the 2

Maybe explain specifically what you are trying to achieve so we can help.

FWIW I use a Windows 10 PC with 3 x 4tb HDD as my Roon core , for some reason I seem to be immune to Windows update hell :sunglasses:

It does not show in file explorer. It shows in the “choose your Roon Core” screen when everytime I reinstall Roon.

Yes, I would like to use the PC as a NAS.

If you wish PC as NAS — You need to be looking the other way.

The Nucleus must be the “Master Server” reading from the PC Drives . You would not expect the Nucleus to show as a “Hard Drive” under these circumstances. It needs to be the other direction the PC/Drives needs to be visible in Roon on the Nucleus. I.e. you need to make your files visible in Roon

Goto Control panel Network & Sharing Centre and go to Advanced Sharing Options

In your Windows File Explorer, find the USB drive(s) where your music lives. Go properties and select the Sharing tab

Check the “Share This Folder” box

This should make the drive available/visible across the network

Go to Roon> Settings > Storage and add a folder

Navigate to the Drive in question

That should work , whether it allows your existing library to work I am not sure but you can at least see your music through Roon

That’s a starting point, sounds messy but …

Good luck

1 Like

I’ve got other problems. I’m going to have to call Dell Software Support. I can ping the Nucleus from my PC but it doesn’t show in Windows Explorer. After I set up share and went to Roon to add folder my E drive which I set up to share does show as an option to add folder in the Nucleus.

I’m going to get a 5TB USB drive this afternoon and copy all my music files to it and connect it to the Nucleus directly as an interim solution. Hopefully, Dell can tell me why my Windows 10 desktop has so much trouble with Roon.

For some reason the Settings->General Tab is not showing “Accept Connections From Remotes”

I uninstalled the latest Windows 10 Update and I am now seeing the Nucleus in Windows Explorer. Every Windows 10 Update seems to crash Roon on my desktop PC. I have to check with Dell to see if they have some incompatibility that they can give me a workaround.

Personally, I think you will have a better experience by putting all of your music on a USB drive connected directly to your Nucleus. You do want to be able to access that drive from your Windows PC so you can copy new music files from your PC to your Nucleus attached USB drive.

I’ve got a Gen. 1 Nucleus with an internal SSD. Following Roon’s directions, I created a shared drive for the SSD and now I can rip CDs from my PC directly to the SSD in the Nucleus. It works perfectly. Drives are so cheap now days I would never use my PC for a NAS. In order to maintain backups of my music, I use a program called Vice Versa Pro to maintain a mirror of the SSD on two separate USB drives attached to my PC. Of course, now I’ve got Qobuz I seldom rip CDs anymore.

2 Likes

10 posts were split to a new topic: I can’t see desktop from nucleus

Apologies for the trouble here, @John_Lee2!

It sounds like there were a few issues that were occurring, so I’d like to take this step by step to make sure we get you up and running. First, you mentioned that you were getting an error:

Just to confirm, were you able to successfully restore the backup at any point or are you still seeing this error?

Can you share a screenshot of the backup folder that you’re trying to use via File Explorer so I can see if everything looks okay?

Thanks!

I’ve given up trying to use the Music Files on my PC. I just bought a 5TB USB drive and I’m in the process of copying the music files. I will attach this drive to the USB port on the Nucleus.

I had copied the backup files to a USB and attached that to the Nucleus and tried to restore from there when trying to restore a backup to the Win10 desktop would not bring up Roon.

I took one of the other community members advice and enabled SMB 1. That is the only change I can think of that enabled Win Explorer to see the Nucleus as well as a NAS that had disappeared with a recent Win 10 update.

OH SNap. I wondered why I never heard a response. I had written a long post detailing ll the steps you needed to do a day ago. The Forums seems to have eaten it. :open_mouth:

Anyway, I think you’ll be happy with your solution.

I think you have made the right decision, the Nucleus is meant to be an independent “appliance”

Adding it’s own drive makes it so

What’s funny is that I never see issues with Windows updates , touch wood, it may be specific hardware issues, GPU, video cards etc, the normal recommend action is renew drivers from the hardware supplier direct

Good luck

I had uninstalled Roon off my Win 10 PC, too many times to count. I’m satisfied where I’m at currently with the Nucleus. I bought a 5TB USB drive and copied all my music to it and attached it directly to the Nucleus. Everything is working the way I want it now “Knock on Wood”.

2 Likes