Just ordered a Skull Canyon NUC

It comes with an SSD; I have about 90K tracks in my library…not a huge number.

Sorry to keep bugging you, but you mentioned that you thought the increase in speed was due to ssd. I see now you likely meant due to a different ssd drive.

I’m asking as I have a sonictransporter i5 with about 94,000 tracks on attached USB3 drive and I find it very snappy. Seems just as fast* as roon running on my less than year old win8.1 i7 16GB ram machine I use in the office.

*other than the initial stage where roon is establishing volume normalization for tracks.

Right - in other words, the Samsung 960PRO SSD, which is where the database is, is faster than the SSD in the SonicTransporter.

I don’t mean this to criticize the SonicTransporter: it’s a totally silent unit that’s purpose-built and trivially managed. It’s basically ideal in many ways, and worked just fine streaming music to lots of Roon endpoints…but the performance issues with searching are quite significant, if that kind of thing is important to you. And the “updating” thing, though rarer (I don’t add local music that often), was annoying.

3,500MB/s versus ~450MB/s means that M.2 Flash Storage doesn’t deserve to be put in the same class as the typical “SSD” [SATA]

Faster RAM and DDr4 will also make a difference when using the Roon Database

And obviously having a Quad Core i7 versus a lower clocked Dual Core i5 or even i7 will also make a big difference when working with Roon

From the David’s comments above [and others] it’s obvious that the combination of all of these things makes a very noticeable difference when it comes to using and enjoying Roon

A good path to follow…

Got it. Thanks. I didn’t take your post critical of the ST, I was just making sure I was fully understanding the comparison. (my updates when adding files are basically instant, but that may be the difference between how it handles NAS vs local (attached USB3.0) storage. But I agree that searching is not instant! Thanks again.

Intel just formally announced Kaby Lake at CES, so I assume a new Skull Canyon NUC with 7700hq variant should be right around the corner.

I thought I heard Intel was stopping making the NUCs?