Keep Calm, and Carry On [title edited to not be 'rude' ;-)]

Good point :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Try out VueScan by Ed Hamrick, he’s has a 64 version since 2010!

Agree! I ran the beta when it was first released and decided to wait until Apple & the major software developers had ironed out the bugs.
Having said that, it’s why Apple release a Beta version, so folk like Adobe, Microsoft etc. can sort out their apps in time for the release date, the fact that Adobe can’t be bothered shouldn’t go against Roon who have considerably less resources than these companies.

Like David, I’m sure Roon will have a 10.15 compliant version soon.

It’s an Imacon 646, $10k scanner. Propietary software which Hasselblad (who now owns Imacon) hasn’t updated since 2011 and they replied to me they have no intention of any further updates. I’ll probably just spring for an inexpensive mini and set up a dedicated ‘scanning station,’ since I have all the other bits spare, but I still prefer to wait six months to a year to upgrade. Those of us who work with Macs in a professional capacity of some sort haven’t believed in the myth of Apple perfectionism for a long long time (if ever) but enjoy the way they work and feel. I have all Macs from desktop pro to iPad Pro - and A Pixel 4XL phone.

Fair play Charles, I can’t see Hasselblad bothering to produce a 64bit version either!

Although they should as others have suggested allow Ed the wherewithal to write a bit of code to allow his Vuescan software to work with it. (see: https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/297786-hasselblad-imacon-flextight-scanners-discontinued/)
After all, he manages to support tons of discontinued scanners by Agfa, Nikon, Heidelberg etc.

1 Like

Catalina has broken so many other things (as well as Roon), it goes down as a fairly disastrous update by Apple standards (which are slipping). This isn’t why we run Apple hardware. If it gets this bad, might as well jump to Win 10…

Yes I know, but Roon runs on ROCK for me. I use a Mac for everything else but when this Macbook dies, that might be the end of the road for me and Apple PCs. Even my lovely new iPad Air died after 5 months (hardware issue), so I am unimpressed by their software and hardware these days.
If I’m going to buy shoddy hardware, might as well do it at Windows or Samsung prices.

I installed Roon after I upgraded to Catalina, and as far as I can tell, it works perfectly.

1 Like

Do you have an external hard drive with music files? If so, can you access it?

I haven’t tried playing files from it–I copied my music onto the Mac. I can give it a shot and see what happens.

I have an external NAS with music files, with network mounts, and Roon on Catalina works fine.
Is the issue just with USB mounted drives or something?

Likewise. I have encountered no issues accessing my music library stored on my NAS either before or after upgrading to Catalina.

I have run Windows since 3.1, every version even Millenium

I have yet to see anything to support the “mess” comment.

It’s not just music , I am MCSD and equally I have run every Visual Studio and SQL Server version since 2003

I have yet to understand Applemania, they are simply overpriced and arrogant, my last Apple PC was my Apple ][ in 1980s

I have an iPad but …maybe Samsung calls

4 Likes

I guess it helps to know what you’re doing :slight_smile: being an Applemaniac, I don’t. Just depends on perspective and what you’re familiar with.

1 Like

Whether I agree with the general sentiment or not, I can’t agree with the tone of the title: disrespecting those you feel are disrespectful doesn’t make it right, it’s just plain inflammatory.

And I’m fairly unhappy the moderators leave it as is, even in acronym form. That smacks of favouritism.

6 Likes

I’m wondering what makes you 100% sure that Roon are working flat out 24/7 to get the problem sorted? They’ve been uncommunicative to say the least. We’re all on the same side here, and I absolutely love this software. Otherwise I wouldn’t be paying what seems on the surface an exorbitant price to run it the way I want to run it. However in 2019 I expect a better customer experience than this. Like everything else, I’m sure it will be resolved. I respect your opinion David, however I’d urge you to consider that your own use cases may not align with those of other users, so your “scolding” is questionable and misdirected. I can speak from personal experience as a developer that the wrong thing to do when customers are upset is to say nothing. As I said, we’re all in this together and as such I expect better feedback.

1 Like

I’m an audio pro and wanted to offer this insight… when Apple unveils a new OS I usually wait months, even as long as a year, before even considering switching to it. It’s not a big deal to hold off on Catalina.

1 Like

The thread title should really be “STFU and buy a Nucleus/NUC”.

2 Likes

Because the alternative doesn’t bear thinking about. Like you (and probably most everyone else) I’m concerned about the lack of feedback - it’s worrying - so maybe I’m just choosing to assume a best case scenario. Let’s hope I’m right.

1 Like

@Gary_Boodhoo, perhaps if we stop talking about it the problem will go away :wink:

catalina

4 Likes