Roon Core Machine

|Processor|Intel(R) Core™ i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz 2.90 GHz|
|Installed RAM|8. GB (7.89 GB usable)|
|Device ID|2391014F-959A-4858-BB71-863B25A06E01|
|Product ID|00325-96023-12185-AAOEM|
|System type|64-bit operating system, x64-based processor|
|Pen and touch|Touch support with 10 touch points|00

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Netgear C7000v2 with Firmware Version 1.03.03 outputing WiFi to both roon core and remotes using WPA2-PSK security. There is an ethernet connection to my streamer that Runs roon via volumio.

Connected Audio Devices

Allo DigiOne Signature with USBridge Signature connected via ethernet running Volumio 1.8 with the Roon Bridge Plugin connecting into a BorderPatrol DAC
Google Pixel 4a with android 13
Apple iPhone 7 runnion iOS 15.5

Number of Tracks in Library

Less then 3000

Description of Issue

I recently decided to try Roon again after seeing you could pay monthly. I redownloaded it onto my PC and it works fine there. The issue is when I try and connect my Pixel 4a, which is the main device I want to control Roon with. It keeps having issues trying to connect with the Core. I can get it to work for maybe 2-3 minutes max without it trying to connect again. This is while no music is playing. As soon as music starts playing, it will usually lose connection or start having trouble loading. It is pretty unusable with this device. I have a hand-me-down iPhone 7 that I was using for Nug.net airplay (Roon would be complete if it could integrate with Nugs.net, just saying) and when using that as a Roon remote, works fine for the most part. Its a little slow to load things on that device but doesn’t have trouble with disconnecting with the core. Maybe it’s a little slower with music playing but its functional.

I have tried disabling firewalls with no improvements and checked for incorrect IP addresses but that looks to be fine, as far as I can tell. Is my issue running the core PC over wifi? I currently don’t have a way to hardwire the internet connection to this PC. I have also been looking into buying a MeLE fanless mini pc which has an ethernet port. Looking for any thoughts, thank you.

You said it , Ethernet, does the core PC not have an Ethernet port ?

Roon specifically recommend Ethernet for the Core to Router. Can you not connect just to test. Roon is fairly demanding on the core router traffic , it may be not the Android device per se rather the core link.

Maybe Apple wi fi is better than the Android device. If it works better use it

That’s probably right. Pre-covid I used this same setup to run roon (different phone) and I never experienced hiccups like this. Maybe the software has just become more demanding over time?

It may have become more demanding , way back I installed an Ethernet cable over the flat roof to a switch in the lounge , never looked back.

I stream 24/192 and for the last few weeks 4K video without a blip.

The installation for me was painful due to our house design but I really could not go back to Wi Fi.

I think some individual devices are better then others, we just bought a BIG TV and while we we at it we decorated the lounge , my Naim Unity Atom HE was running for a week on Wi Fi and behaved perfectly so all Wi Fi.is not born equal

I switch to a little mini PC that has Ethernet and the issue was resolved. I was having trouble with getting a monitor to work but I resolved that too and there is no disconnects from my roon remote.

Thanks for you input!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.