Keep losing Roon connection

My Roon Core is stored on the hard drive of my 2007 iMac on the second floor of my house. My endpoint is an iPad Pro used in my first floor living room.

I have successfully used Sonos over WiFi for several years.
My Wifi is Eero and quite robust.

However, my Roon often loses its connection. Rebooting the iMac reconnected once but not this time.

Why is Roon losing its connection when my two iPads, iPhone and two Sonos Connects have no problem maintaining their connections?

Do you use a proprietary network? Is the age of my iMac an issue?

it’s an old house so running an Ethernet connection from my second floor study to the first floor would be expensive and messy.

What else can I do to maintain my Roon connection?

Thanks,

Steve

Thanks for reaching out, @Stephen_Bayle!

Starting out, may I kindly ask that you please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

If you reinstall the Roon application on the iMac (just the application — do not delete the database) is there any change in behavior?

Thanks,
Dylan

The Roon app is installed on my mid-2011 iMac with 8GB of memory. The iMac is on a Wi-Fi network made up of several Eero WAPs one of which has an Ethernet connection to my cable modem.

I run the Roon iOS app on an iPad.

The music system consists of two Sonos Connects. The living room where I have my listening system consists of one Sonos Connect on WiFi feeding an Auralic DAC. The DAC drives an Odyssey Khartaog stereo amplifier which drives two customized Gallo Reference speakers. (The kitchen Sonos Connect is attached via Ethernet.) An Eero WAP is on the same rack shelf as the Sonos Connect.

As noted before I have numerous devices running on my Eero Wi-Fi network including the iMac, a Sonos Connect, a Mac laptop, two iPads, and an iPhone X. I have zero problems with this Wi-Fi system.

Before I bought the Eeros I had a lot of problems with my Apple router. Now I have none. I can’t see any reason why 1) Roon would disconnect itself and 2) why it won’t reconnect even if I reboot the iMac.

Not sure what other information you need. Would it solve the problem if I used an Ethernet connection instead of Wi-Fi somewhere? If I had a Nucleus connected to my network via Ethernet?

Thanks,

–Steve

Hey @Stephen_Bayle,

Thanks for the additional details!

Yes, I think it would be a great idea to try to get the Nucleus and one of your endpoints connected via Ethernet. Knowing whether or not this works with a hard wired connection will be a great data point for our troubleshooting.

Thanks!
Dylan