KEF LS50 Wireless 192khz 24 bit TIDAL playback interruption after first 2 seconds

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Mac Mini 2018 Catalina, all software up to date

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Speaker and Mac connected via Ethernet Cable to Fritz Box 4040

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

KEF LS50 Wirless

Description Of Issue

Hello, I am aware that there are several posts with a similar topic, but it seems nobody has my exact problem:

I am listening via Tidal and upsampling to 192/24 and using a parametric eq in DSP. LS50 W and Macmini are connected via cable on the router, software of KEFs is p6.2101809171.105039

Upsampling works reliably in this constellation. But when I skip a song and listen to the next one 2 out of 3 times playback stops after 2 seconds for several seconds (as if it was buffering!) afterwards it plays the song without interruption. It works when I listen to a complete album, no interruptions.

Anybody else got this problem? I have a fast internet connection, so I don’t suppose it is waiting for the tidal files to load. I listen to few flacs on my harddisc, but so far it seems the problem only occurs when streaming via Tidal.

Post your signal path screenshot.

LS50 can only playback 192 via USB interface, if your using a Ethernet connection then 96 is your highest rate, even if you up sample, 96 is the highest. I think.

Hi Shawn, don’t think that’s right seeing the many posts here regarding 24/192…

Not true @Shawn_Costello. I own LS50w and play to them all the time at 192/24 via wireless Ethernet. (They also handle 192/24 via wired Ethernet and USB).

Only the Optical input is restricted to 96/24 maximum.

Maybe you are thinking of the Kef LSX?

I own a pair also. I Was just going by their literature. I thought I read that they down sample to what they can handle on certain inputs.

Hmm… I would like to see that literature if you’ve got a link.

Roon certainly reports that it is delivering 192/24 to them when I look at the signal path…

Actually… looking at their literature… they do state that USB is max 192/24, and Optical Toslink is 96/24 as I mentioned… but… they don’t actually state a spec for Ethernet/Dual Wireless 2.4 GHz/5GHz Wi-Fi.

However… as I’m sure you’ve noticed… Roon’s signal path shows that it delivers 192/24 to them when you play to them via Ethernet (wired or wireless). So it’s my understanding that that’s what they receive. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m at work right now but I agree with your statement above. That’s what I was referring to on their website.

So you finally found out that they take the signal as described.
:wink:

Really, nobody has the above mentioned issue?
Most of the time it happens when skipping songs, and is really annoying!

Thanks for your help!!

Hi @AlexderK,

Thank you for your report here. We are aware of a few similar reports regarding this behavior and have reached out to KEF regarding this. In the meantime, I would verify that your LS50s are on the newest firmware available.

Thank you!

Hello again,

The issue was resolved with the new Roon update.

Thank you!

1 Like

Hi @AlexderK,

Glad to hear that the new update helped with this issue!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.