KEF LS50 wireless - roon ready? [not roon ready, but supported natively]

Thanks for input/update. I did come across ifi spdif ipurifier reference (@hk6230 ) multiple time but i m so confused regarding the usage model. Ifi site is not very clear in putting up with pictures to understand well or usage model. I went to amazon to figure the pictures.

However if i buy ipurifier, what all cables and adopters I will need?
What cable runs from TV (Toslink ?) and I dont see toslink input to ipurifier input … is there any adopter I need to add or is there a Optical cable on one end and other end its spdif ?

Request to look aside (or eye roll ) on my ignorance!

It comes with everything you need and from the TV to the Kef you can use your own optical or one that comes with the iFi. I like the Blue Jeans cable optical cables.

the optical cable has different interface correct? i see it looks different on ipurifier … or maybe I simply order it and figure out probably. I mean will i need mini optical IN/OUT. TV to ipurifier will be what ? Toslink or SPDIF?
Hope new thread is not needed.

Everything you need is in the box.

optical from TV goes into one end of the iFI and optical from the iFI to the Kef comes from the side not the back where coax is.

2 Likes

EISA WIRELESS LOUDSPEAKER 2017–2018 : LS50W

https://www.eisa.eu/awards/kef-ls50-wireless

FWIW, I’m using iPeng to make my iPhone a Roon endpoint and it’s been performing well w/ my LS50W. As well it draws surprisingly little power from my Iphone 6SE - perhaps 10% every hour or so.

For me this is preferable to other options as the cost was only $14 (already had the $30 CCK) and it sounds great as the iPhone is a relatively low jitter source. That said, it is somewhat inconvenient as I have to physically connect my iPhone and ensure it has sufficient charge; clearly this is temporary, but I just don’t want to spend any more seeing how there is a potential solution from Roon coming soon.

2 Likes

just got a pair of the LS50 wireless, and as a system, they’re fantastic sounding, much better than the passive LS50, which i did not like at all. but my gawd, the software, documentation, and UX are a hot mess.

another critical failing (in my view) is the lack of a coax input. like many, i’m using them in a system w/ video, and the optical input is taken up by the TV. to get Roon, i either have to use my ATV, routed through the TV (suboptimal) or find a streamer that supports USB out, or use the analog inputs. a bluesound node could work, but there’s no USB out. i don’t want to invest in a microrendu or similar at this point.

and what’s the point of a remote control to switch inputs if its impossible to see which input you’re on from the listening position?

1 Like

@woodford I’m curious, why then did you invest in the LS50W?

An RPi or a Sparky from Allo.com will work just as well and a helluva lot cheaper.

You are absolutely right about the documentation etc.
Did you check to make sure yours are on the latest firmware?
You probably know there is a lot of information on the FAQ that should be in documentation and they update the FAQ pretty regularly.
I’m using a Logitech Harmony 650 remote since the one that comes with it is pretty crummy. The Kef’s are actually in the Logitech Harmony database so it was easy to do.
Mine are connected to my TV by optical as well. I play Roon through an Apple TV connected by HDMI to my TV but also a SonicTransporter connected to the USB port. The SonicTransporter sounds much better but of course you have to manually switch to USB which is marked PC. I have a USBridge on the way which will replace the SonicTransporter. I’ll be selling the SonicTransporter :wink:
They sound great as you know which is why so many of us have put up with all the issues but Kef dropped the ball on making them what they should have been on release and engendered a lot of bad will and reviews because of it.
It will be interesting to see what they do with Roon support so perhaps you could wait for that. I would assume it will use the ethernet port but thats conjecture on my part.

fair question- i had some specific needs, including terrific sound in a small package, and the KEFs deliver there.

i had also assumed that the remote app would allow you to control volume and switch inputs, which are pretty basic functions in a wireless/app controlled speaker.

@DarwinOS, i have a Harmony 650 as well, and i’d hoped to program it to switch inputs, but it’s pretty hit an miss because of the “step through” input selection. also, the bluetooth and Wireless inputs are not included in the Harmony DB for some reason, so on those occasions where it does sort of work, the remote is confused by the missing two “steps.”

i currently have a squeezebox transporter connected to the analog inputs. at some point, i will probably replace it with a SB Touch, running EDO, connected to the USB in.

the LS50w should have been a home run, but as it is, its more of a stand up double. which is good, but not what it could have been.

I’ll never use the bluetooth especially since it not even AAC for the high proportion of Apple users. No Airplay is a common complaint too especially since pretty much every AV receiver has it. So I only have to switch between optical and USB. No auto-switching is another common complaint.
I’ll be interested to see what Elac comes out with as they have said there will be an active version of the UB5. It might even come Roon Ready since Elac make the Discovery.

So after about 8 months of use my Kef’s developed bad static in the right speaker, Shortly after that the three lights in the middle started blinking constantly. I contacted Kef support through the app and they replied quickly. I got an RA today which is about three days after i first contacted them. I have to ship them at my cost via UPS and they will send out a new replacement pair. It’s going to cost a lot to ship these and fortunately I kept the original box. I’ll update here as things proceed. Just got my USBridge yesterday that I was going to use with these…:frowning:

Wow!! Bummer. At least they are sending you a new pair as opposed to repairing the ones you had. The good news for me is that they are 10 miles from my home. If I had to send them back I could take them over and pick up a new pair. When I purchased them I was able to drive over and pick them up.

Yes they did say they are sending me brand new ones which is good to know. i asked what happens with the one year warranty and no answer on that. I put my bedroom Vanatoo Ones in their place in the living room and even though they are decent speakers I want my Kef’s back. One year warranty is pretty minimal for the Kef’s.

One year is lame but not unprecedented. The thing I hate the most is that you have to pay shipping to them. If manufacturers were responsible for shipping to and from I bet they would do a better job of QC. You have owned them just a few months and now have to spend $50 - $75 to ship the to KEF. Not fair.

2 Likes

Ack, hope this is not a systemic thing. As I run out and put my ear right next to mine to make sure they are ok… :blush:

This is very interesting since (almost) the very same thing is happening with my LS50Ws. After about an hour of playing normally, the right speaker will begin to distort, especially in the frequency range around female vocals. If I shut the speakers off for a while, they play normally again for about an hour before the distortion begins again. It’s only the right speaker, the left speaker is fine. KEF also sent me an RMA and they’re costing me about $90 to ship.

How long have you had your speakers Jim?

I ordered them through Amazon in March.