KEF LS50 wireless - roon ready? [not roon ready, but supported natively]

I doubt Kef has their own developers but if not they should hire some. Active software driven speakers are the future after all.

That is a false equivalency.

1 Like

Every current receiver I know of can do updates by wifi, ethernet or usb.

ā€¦ and clearly KEFā€™s chosen risk posture is you donā€™t find out that something is wrong the hard way!

Just updated mine (I use Ethernet with my LS50W not Wi-Fi). Interesting that the accompanying readme with the firmware update shows firmware versions 3.2.1 MCU, 1.5.4 DSP and 2.1.3 Wi-Fi in the screenshots of the app.

After updating my speakers the app reports version 2.2.1 MCU, 0.5.4 DSP and 1.1.3 Wi-Fi. What do others here get for their firmware versions?

If that was the case they wouldnā€™t require the speakers to be on wifi and also usb USB. The entire firmware upgrade process is ridiculous. Look at the description in their download of how to do it.
Clearly Kef has not invested in developers who know what they are doing. The app is a mess and useless in many ways too.

This idea that you should have Windows is bizarrely uninformed especially for CD ripping.
Tell that to the many audio professionals who only use Macā€™s.
There is nothing you can do on Windows that you canā€™t do on a Mac as well or better. 5 minutes with Google will tell you that.

1 Like

Not at all. See below.

Do you think those audio professionals are doing a lot of CD ripping? That is a ā€œbizzarreā€ assumption.

Nothing? How do you decode HDCD rips on MacOS? How do you detect CDs mastered with pre-emphasis flags in subcode on MacOS? How do you verify or repair previous rips with the CUETools database on MacOS?

AJ

I have to respectfully disagree with that assertion. As a longtime Mac user, I continue shake my fist at Apple for some of their boneheaded and stubborn insistence on refusing to adopt better ways of doing things long available on other platforms. The example that most folks I encounter agree about is the sheer hopelessness of Finder as a competent 21st century application!

@HTTP_404 @WiWavelength I can choose a million things that Mac can do better or that Linux does better or that Windows does betterā€¦ You guys will never come to an agreement because you are to wrapped up on pushing how one sucks more than the otherā€¦ I leave Windows for the Windows peopleā€¦ You are better of thereā€¦ The rest we are different for a reasonā€¦ Welcome to the gravy train :wink:

3 Likes

thanks @Tech_Whisky_Lab for breaking up this pointless fight.

As a reminder, this thread is about KEF LS50 wireless speakers. Updating these speakers seems to be an awkward process, thanks for letting us (potential buyers) know about it!

Existing owners really should reach out and try to get a statement on this from KEF directly. In the meantime, letā€™s keep this discussion focused, please.

2 Likes

I did reach out to KEF. They told me that they are working on a Mac version of the updater and that it should be available in a few weeks. FWIW.

Not to mention that the reference to ā€œin the English languageā€ smacks of condescension and assumed superiority. Those of us who speak more than one language are keenly aware that it is sometimes difficult to track the cultural nuances of each of those languages. Those who speak only one language may not be aware of this, and should be gracious enough to allow some slack. And like you, I donā€™t find ā€œno it is notā€ to be the least bit offensive.

2 Likes

iOS and Android apps are out with Tidal integration, bug fixes and can change speaker setting rom any source not just wifi.

Just tried the new iOS app. By intergrating Tidal, it is much more useful now.
Maybe because i havenā€™t updated the speakers firmware, the app often canā€™t connect to the speakers after switching input.

Iā€™d like to know the best way to control the LS50Wā€™s volume when connected via USB.

Is it best to set the maximum volume youā€™d ever listen to on the speakers and then control the volume from the OS/app on the PC?

Or would it be better to set the OS/app volume to maximum and then control the volume with the speakers/remote?

Those of us who speak more than one language with the proficiency you allude to usually know better than to express themselves so poorly, unless they intend to be rude.

Can you guys please start another thread about cultural nuances and language proficiency?

1 Like

Or better still donā€™t.

8 Likes

I set Roon to Fixed Volume and control the ls50w vol using the remote.