KEF LS50 wireless - roon ready? [not roon ready, but supported natively]

Toslink is SPDIF, only the receiver KEF uses in the LS50W stops at 96kHz. Silly of KEF.

1 Like

It was mentioned in this thread ā€“ thatā€™s why I shared. The LS50W do have a Toslink optical input, but is is limited to 96/24 ā€“ not a great solution for audio, but nice for a TV or the likes, as @DarwinOS mentions.

1 Like

The last software update has made the LS50W software/electronics situation better, especially in regards to the aggressive standby (you can disable it completely).

You guys are right in that these speakers will not become Roon Ready.

The speakers are fantastic. The electronics inside it, although very capable for audio (the dsp stuff is great), are specā€™d to be sufficient for their operation from the front panel, and not much else.

However, we do love these little guys, and weā€™d want to make them work the best we can with Roon. I think we can do something here, and we are working hard at getting it to happen.

The KEF team has been awesome, and we are happy they are giving us the opportunity and support to make this very innovative speaker system work to fit what we consider the Roon standard UX.

No timeline, no news, no announcementsā€¦ just be patientā€¦ it might take a month, it might take 2. We all want it as much as you do.

6 Likes

Truly appreciate it Danny!. I wish ( :innocent:) all the manufacturer approach Roon before closing their hardware spec. Without giving any details of what They (Kef and all others) want to launch, just the ETH board or That spec which matters to help it make it easy. May my wish be granted :innocent:.

96/24 is fine for most audio right? I play Tidal, FLAC, and iTunes via Roon. Fine for all that as far as I know.
Plus my Samsung JS9000 TV optical has the same limit.
But USB full res is why I am doing the MicroRendu plus I expect it will sound better than Airplay via Apple TV.
Actually I am not sure if Roon on my Mac plays over the network to Apple TV or Airplay? Iā€™m sure people here doā€¦Iā€™ve only been on Roon a week or so and still a lot to learn.

Iā€™m glad to hear that about the last update and that the Kef team has been awesomeā€¦ Iā€™ve had mine since December and have been frustrated at the lack of updates that work for both firmware and the app until recently.
Roon ready I assume means running Roon core? Iā€™m not sure anyone really expected that but of course everyone wants it to be a Roon endpointā€¦:wink:

this is happening more and moreā€¦ the future is very Roony

2 Likes

no, Roon Ready means full RAAT streamingā€¦ we will make it work, but it will be reduced functionality.

Ok, thanks.

Has anyone been able to get this to work? I followed the instructions on the and the best I have been able to get is 60 minutes. I want them to satay on all the time (or until I decide to turn them off).

Not silly. The most widely adopted specification for TOSLINK caps out at 96 kHz. Support for 176.4/192 kHz is uncommon and may be out of specification occurrence.

AJ

2 Likes

Correct, 96kHz is the (old) specification, but both Devialet and Mutec today specify 192kHz for their Toslink ports. That is not out of specification for them. They use a part that supports it. The LS50W is a new product . KEF could and should have done the same. This will not matter much now that Danny has said Roon will support the LS50W directly. 192kHz (or higher) should be easy to do via ethernet.

Devialet has had to go back to the drawing board and design an Ethernet streaming module to be able to (presumably & speculating) support RAAT. Yes, itā€™s a pity KEF will be unable to support RAAT with the (current?) LS50W, but Roons work with Devialet Air hold out the promise of being able to accomplish truly great things even if itā€™s not the whole RAAT enchilada.

1 Like

Did not bother about this settings. Mine never stops after 1 hour and I left them for burn-in for 3days.

It does not shut off after an hour when music is playing. Itā€™s when no music is playing that the speaker shuts itself off. I want it to stay on all the time. There is a setting that is supposed to solve this however I have been unable to apply the setting correctly and get it to work.

1 Like
Summary

http://hk.kef.com/ls50-wireless-faq

John it is working for me now. Both stay on and 60 minutes.

What does total RAAT streaming encompass? I looked around but couldnā€™t find a description.

I still want to figure out a way to get both Roon and MQA via Tidal. Looks like Bluesound Node 2 via RCA ports to get the full unfold is the vest option right now.
But Ultra Rendu is very tempting.

1. zone linking with other RAAT endpoints
  2. deep dive signal path
  3. stability and bug fixes that are possible straight from Roon (For example, see RAAT Audio Streaming Optimizations section of Roon 1.3 (Build 234) Is Live!)
  4. future stuff in Roon which comes for free with RAAT, but not with anything elseā€¦
  5. convenience switching and standby support