KEF LS50W Firmware update

FWIW I updated using the Windows 10 updater and things went quick and smooth. YMMV

Mike from Kef tech support, as usual, was great. Walked me through a reset and re-ran the Mac updater. All is well. That said, just my two cents, unless you really NEED the new update, I wouldn’t touch it via a Mac. Really can’t believe the current Mac update has not been removed. That says a lot!

Will spend the weekend considering alternatives to the Kef LS50w.

1 Like

There are other people swearing the Windows updater is the problematic one so I don’t think its either Mac or Windows in particular just Kef’s shoddy firmware.
I’ve done two Mac firmware updates with no issue so I guess you have to hit just the right set of circumstances to cause the firmware to brick your speakers.
Kef continues to add functionality which is good yet their software is still unstable at best. This has got to be costing them a lot of money, goodwill, and sales since I’m seeing complaints all over these days…
They need to fire their development staff which I’ll be money is outsourced somewhere cheap.
Also their support is minimal and as many of us have found simply ignore a lot of questions.

Hi Everyone,
New owner here, just got LS50W, 2 days ago and have gone through setup yesterday, fairly straight forward. I have mine flipped over to the wired connection and I must say, Tidal streaming never sounded better. As I was messing with the settings and just getting familiar with the whole setup I noticed there is a new firmware available.

I would like to find some clarity on one of the steps while upgrading firmware. On the screen shot bellow were it says Country or Region for those of us in North America - (I’m in Canada), do we have to change this to All other countries but EU, UK and Japan or just leave it as in the screen shoot?

I would greatly appreciate if someone can chime in, just want to make sure I do this right since some of you reported issues with upgrading firmware. I am using a laptop with Win 7 Pro, AV temp disabled, and directly connected to USB port on LS50w as well as wired directly to my LAN switch.

All this of course is to setup a Roon experience and run everything as many of you have through network directly to the Kef speakers. Thank you in advance!

I set mine to all other regions, seems to be working…

I see, it is kind of confusing. Updated firmware million times (IT guy), you don’t come across region dependent setting, it is already done before you even download it. I guess I will give that a try, all regions it is.
Thanks Bear Bob!!!

1 Like

Is there a difference in SQ between wired and wireless Tidal streaming to the Kef’s?

I honestly cannot tell, my WiFi is worry free for the most part. I have both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, 5GHz band being broader and much less crowded is obviously a better choice. Since, LAN wiring is already in place through out my apartment, I will use wired connection. To put it this way, so far no matter what bits I send to KEF’s it just sounds so good.

2 Likes

There’s a new firmware version out. For speakers from serial # LS50W06256 onwards there are distinct IR codes for input selection. I updated my Logitech Harmony and now I can switch inputs with various activities. They addressed one of the bigger usability problems, amazing. These speakers get better and better.

Bought my LS50W in may last year.
Mine do not profit from this update any more - argh!

FW is freely available why do you think yours do not qualify?

Because my LS50w are too “old” (serial # < LS50W06256).
They are already one year “old”.

I installed the update but the LS50w don’t react to the new discrete IR-commands. My Logitech Harmony device is updated with the new commands as well.