KEF Roon Tested disappears and leaves only Airplay option

Just to come back to this:

• I had it dissappear fairly quickly again after the post above, and then a reboot of my switch immediately fixed it again. Will try in the coming days to figure out to what makes it dissappear in the first place; maybe i can see some pattern.

added info: I have given the roon core and the Kef’s a reserved IP in my otherwise DHCP’d LAN network. They’re both on ethernet.

i tried re-booting my two switches - (one super-cheap d-link gig switch - one cheap tp - link gig switch)

this seemed to lengthen time before dropping a bit - but not much

i can make my kef streaming option re-appear by going to settings/setup and emptying the cache which restarts Roon

this works - 9 times out of 10 - and if it doesn’t, i repeat the cache emptying restart - and the kef streaming re-appears

only to disappear again after anything from 10 minutes to an hour

i have reserved an IP address on my router for the KEFs - but not for the core - I’ll do that too (though it hasn’t seemed to help you)

very interested to hear how you get on with this

are you in a place which TIDAL officially covers?

restarting one of my two switches is bringing the kef streaming option back for me too

i was emptying image cache to fix it - but restarting the switch seems to work too

should i get a different switch?

i’ve found threads here which identify tp-link switches as seriously problematic with Roon - the switch i have to keep restarting is a tp-link switch

i’m going to change it to a Linksys LGS108 - which has been recommended…

Mine is a D-link DIR-890L, switched to AP mode.

Still have this problem, haven’t gotten around yet to try the following:

• put the Core and the Kef on the same switch.

(Just to see if that makes a difference, it’s a fairly impractical place for my core to be sitting)

What I’m also curious about is: is it a bug on Kef’s side, or Roon’s side. When the stuff works it’s not going over RAAT, but Kef’s Streaming Protocol. So one of those implementations might have a bug (or both). But that stuff is too opaque to fix, apart from via black box testing methods described in this thread…

Kinda frustrating…

you’re clearer than I am about the technical issues I think

I’ve wondered whether ‘Kef Streaming’ is RAAT or something else

my plot thickens - I am now losing the Kef Streaming option much less frequently - I got 12 hours without interruption yesterday - then it gave me ‘select audio zone’ again.

i have no idea what has changed - this happened before the recent updates to Roon software

Maybe repeated re-starts…?

Both my core and my Kefs are connected to the same (slightly suspect) switch (and cheap TP Link switch).

I am going to change this switch, in case that’s the problem

Update! I totally forgot that there was a small and old cheap tp-link switch in between the kef and the core as well!

Bypassing this thing, the LSX immediately showed up.

Will try today for the whole day to see if this fixes it permanently.

So my chain was now:

Core → D-Link high quality router in access point mode → router → tp-link switch → kef lsx

I removed the tp-link switch, and that worked.

So this might confirm the problematic tp-link switches

1 Like

After a day of use, it keeps working consistently. The TP-link switch is to blame for me. Remove yours from the chain @Jonathan_Trigg , if that helps, we have solved the mystery. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.