Khadas Tone Board vs Schiit Modi 3

looking to upgrade my Logitech Transporter which I’ve had since 2008.
Rest of my system is vintage Naim and I find the Transporter a little ‘clinical’ sounding and lacking in warmth. Also compared to modern units like a Naim Uniti Atom which I recently demoed, the Transporter lacks some detail, depth and separation.
Anyone have experience with KTB or Modi 3?
I know there are a ton of expensive DACs that would transform my sound - but I’m saving up for a Naim ND5 XS2, so don’t want to spend more than 300 euros for a DAC to upgrade the Transporter right now.
Is that possible, or just a waste of a time and I should wait for the ND5 XS2?

Buy something used on Audiogon. Things are usually 1/2 to 1/4 of new, and when you sell it you will get nearly the same price back.

1 Like

I have them both, and I can tell you that the Tone Board is slightly better. A little bit more clarity and depth to the sound. YMMV

1 Like

+1 for TB…
look also @ soncoz dac , a ‘definitive’ development path for TB with some improvement

1 Like

Thanks all.
Am now going to get KTB for the Transporter.
@Jerry_Zigmont and @Enrico_Barra I’m a bit confused by the ‘generic vs VIM’ topic - I want to run SPDIF from Transporter to KTB - and then use RCA to feed my Naim pr-amp.
I assumed that the ‘generic’ version would be OK to do this, is that right?
Mike

I forget the specifics, but you definitely do not want the VIM. I think that will not match a Rasberry Pi…

1 Like

OK. Update. I did a demo in store with a used Naim DAC v1 with Bluesound Node 21 as a transport, vs Bluesound Node 2i as a transport and DAC.
You know what? It was a struggle to tell any difference.
I’m sure the ND5 XS2 might sound a little better, but not to justify a 2,300 euro difference in price.
So I’m keeping my Naim 102/180 combination and replacing the Transporter with the Bluesound.
Super impressed with what Bluesound managed to do with that little device…

enjoy your new stuff…

1 Like