Krell Vanguard - Not selecting Roon as the source

My Krell Vanguard worked well with Roon until few weeks ago it failed to select Roon as current source.
I selected Net/USB as input source.
I also tried powered on the Krell both before after initiating Roon.
Nothing works.

I am running Roon version 1.4 (built 306) stable 64 bit on iMac as Roon Core.
My entire network consists of Airport Extreme and Airport Express.
Krell Vanguard is connected via ethernet cable.
Other Roon compatible devices are Ayre QX-5 and Squeezebox.
My second iMac is acting as Roon Bridge in the same system.

My Roon did show graphic of Ayre QX-5 and Squeezebox in the past and no longer so.

Please advise.
Best Regards,
Somboon

Hi @Somboon_Vorapanyasak ---- Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us. The insight is appreciated!

Moving forward, as our CTO Brian mentioned here:

“This Krell product does not support convenience switching (automatic switching of the input at the start of playback).”

“It’s necessary to switch the source to “network” manually using the IR remote or front panel. If you try to start playback from Roon while any other source is selected, that error message is displayed.”

Based on the information in your report it sounds like you are switching the source to “network” first before playback in Roon (as suggested above) but please confirm. Additionally, can you please verify what firmware version the Vanguard is currently running?

-Eric

Hi Eric,

I did select the source “network” before choosing audio output on Roon application. The current firmware on my Krell Vanguard is V1.14 Sep 18 2015.

I have updated the digital module from the image file.

As I mentioned, Krell worked with Roon in my system until a month ago.

Thanks,
Somboon

Thank you for touching base with me and taking the time to verify the requested information! Both are very appreciated, @Somboon_Vorapanyasak!

Can you verify which version of the Vanguard you are working with (i.e “Krell Digital Vanguard” OR “Krell Vanguard Universal DAC”)? The reason I ask is because I did a quick search on the site and came across this thread:

Synology NAS core won’t play to Krell Digital Vanguard

What is interesting to me is what the representative from Krell mentioned in regard to the firmware version here:

"In order to get the benefits of Roon* you will need to run the software update from the front panel menu of your Vanguard product and also update the firmware in the internal digital module. If the firmware in your digital module is V2.7.6 or later, you can update it directly from the mconnect control app. Otherwise please click on the link below to download the instructions and update files. The latest software version for the Digital Vanguard is V1.16, for the Vanguard Universal DAC V1.04, and the digital module is V2.9.21. "

-Eric

Hi Eric

The dealer replaced a new unit with updated firmware and it works now.

Thanks,
Somboon

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.