Lag on track startup from song to song

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

1.7 Build 610

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Plume Pods (854Mbps throughput) via Wi-Fi.
|—|---|
|Protocol:|Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac)|
|Security type:|WPA2-Personal|
|Network band:|5 GHz|
|Network channel:|157|
|Link-local IPv6 address:|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|
|IPv4 address:|192.168.xxxxxx|
|IPv4 DNS servers:|192.168.xxxxxx|
|Manufacturer:|Intel Corporation|
|Description:|Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz|
|Driver version:|21.110.1.1|
|Physical address (MAC):|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

AudioControl Maestro X9 Processor (Roon Ready) connected to a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon laptop with Roon installed. This is all this laptop is used for… purchased it specifically to use Roon and loaded all of my personal CD library on it.

Description Of Issue

Music Tracks start a few seconds late.

Yep, a few people, myself included, have posted about this.

Annoying isn’t it?

Yes… very annoying… enough to cancel if they can’t get it fixed.

Of course I already know they really don’t care. There is a lot of bad press about them in other forums regarding their lack of listening to customers.

what are the actual specs on this device as a core? I’m not 100% sure if any issue with running on wifi is also warranted here… the processor doesn’t seem to have a USB connection to the core so I am assuming there could be issues with wifi perhaps too.

Our Wi-Fi is super robust… 200meg down and up on fiber… it tests at about 195Mbps up and down. We get great throughput with the Plume pods, as I have one in my listening room with an excellent signal. It would be pretty unusual to get anything better in a home. I have ZERO issues with JRiver or BluOS and song startup, so it is most definitely in the Roon software.

Here are the specs on the X1:

Configuration Details
● Processor: 10th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-10310U Processor with vPro™ (1.70 GHz, up to 4.40 GHz with Turbo Boost, 4 Cores, 8 Threads, 6 MB Cache)
● Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64
● Display Type: 14.0" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS, anti-glare, 400 nits
● Memory: 16 GB LPDDR3 2133MHz (Soldered)
● Hard Drive: 512 GB PCIe SSD
● Graphics: Integrated Intel® UHD Graphics
● Wireless: Intel® Wi-Fi 6™ AX201 802.11AX (2 x 2) & Bluetooth® 5.0 with vPro™

Regards,
Sonnie

Do you have them both wired in? Both roon and Audio control recommend wired connections.
As it’s an uncertified device there may be issues I guess.

You didn’t say whether you were streaming or if your problems are with local tracks. If it is local, then what counts is your intranet speeds not your internet speeds.

As others have noted, Roon works best when it is connected via Ethernet.

Still, with the music starting a few seconds late, if by that you mean the scrub bar begins to move before the music plays and the first few seconds of music are cut off, I don’t believe the transmission medium is the problem.

I don’t agree with this. In my 3+ years on this forum, support seems to be as supportive as possible.

The ‘Feature Request’ section may be a different matter.

The AudioControl is wired, but again… I use JRiver with the same unit, no issues. I use Audirvana with the same unit… no lag issues. The volume on the Audirvana is jumpy, but the music starts fine.

Regards,
Sonnie

This is local tracks and I did mention “throughput” which is what “intranet” is… the connection between the computer and the router/switch… it’s superb. Again… no issues with JRiver or Audirvana.

All I can tell you is what I read in other audio forums… it’s not hard to find negative comments about Roon and their support, and I’ve not read anything positive in regards to their support thus far… anywhere else. I’m not saying it’s not out there, just telling you what I’ve run across thus far in my searches about different topics concerning Roon. They’ve got a good bit of bad press out there… and there is typically a reason for it. It’s not unusual to see more of the negative than positive about some things on the Internet, especially in forums, since the reason a good portion of the members join is due to issues they are having. It is what it is.

Overall… I like Roon, other than the silly horizontal scrolling… and this startup lag. I can use JRiver for local music, but I like Roon for the suggestions, and having qobuz integrated. I’d like to get it working correctly.

Regards,
Sonnie

Plume Pods (854Mbps throughput) via Wi-Fi… which again is superb.

Regards,
Sonnie

Hi @Sonnie_Parker,

Thanks for reaching out, I’d be happy to help investigate this issue with you!

Can you please confirm if you are seeing the same delay occurring on other zones, such as your laptop’s “System Output” zone?

Knowing weather just the AudioControl is affected by this issue is valuable information to have. Please let me know the results of this test when you have a chance and we can proceed from there!

Correction on the throughput… it is 300Mbps… NOT 854 in that room… it’s higher in my other room. Either way, 300 should be plenty sufficient.

As for the system output… there is no lag in the laptop output. I also connected my NAD M17 processor back up to my system, and there is no lag with it. So I’m going to say there is an issue with the X9 and Roon in some way. I am sending the X9 back to AudioControl for various issues to be resolved and made them aware of this issue, so perhaps you guys can work with them on it.

Regards,
Sonnie

1 Like

As it turns out, I am indeed getting 866Mbps throughput on my Lenovo and my Stealth. Apparently the Plume pods will adjust until they optimize to your usage. For some reason they were only showing 300Mbps for a brief time… since that time they have been back up to 866 and steady, which is half of the max possible of 1733Mbps due to it being wireless.

None the less… hopefully Roon and AudioControl and get things worked out… it’s a shame a $10K processor has these kinds of issues with Roon.

Regards,
Sonnie

Hi @Sonnie_Parker,

Thanks for letting us know the issue did not occur through system output. I personally haven’t seen any AudioControl requests come in, but they most certainly can reach out to us through our partner channel and investigate this further with our team.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.