Laggy interface : do I need to update my Roon Core?

Hi,
Lately the Roon interface can be very laggy, it plays music with filter and upsampling fine, but some tags and bookmarks can take 30 or more seconds to be displayed in the Android and Windows app. I have about 1,000 albums stored mostly on an SSD drive plugged in USB 3 and on Qobuz.

I am looking to update my Roon core from an old Sony Vaio laptop (i5-4200U 1.6 GHz, SSD, 8 GB ram) to a mini-pc with a mobile AMD CPU, something like the Minisforum UM300 with the Ryzen 3 3300U.

So my questions are : does the interface lag because my Roon core is under powered and if it is, does going from a laptop with 2 cores CPU at 1.6 GHz to a faux-nuc with a 4 cores CPU at 2.1 GHz is enough to experience a fluid interface?

During the last week, on several occasions, Roon has been slow during my evening hours (I am on CET +1) . This is due only to the Roon CLoud infrastructure, nothing with my Roon core at home.
Just try it out on different times during the day to check if that is the case with you as well.

Furthermore, a mobile processor is generally less powerfull than a desktop processor. What I am trying to say here, that the Mobile processor with higher clock frequency is not necessarilly faster than a lower-specified desktop processor.
Also, for its basic functions (i.e. no DSP, …) Roon is using 2 Cores only.
So if you would decide to upgrade, I would speed up a little bit more in clock speed if you can.
Dirk

Thanks Dirk. I didn’t know about Roon cloud being slow lately.

About the processor, indeed if Roon is only using 2 cores, I am not sure how much I can gain.
My actual CPU is benckmared at 1377 for a single thread when the Ryzen 3300U score 2011.

If you check your signal path when playing what is the processing speed. If its really low then the computers resources are being stretched and it might make using Roon during playback laggier. If you have Intel GFX onboard make sure you use the latest drivers from them not Windows ones, also I believe one Intel card had issues with 64bit Roon, so you could try the 32bit version to see if it helps.

For now, my processing speed is from 20x to 40x. It felt to 2x before but I have no idea why.

Thanks for the tip about graphic drivers, I didn’t think it was important because my Roon Core laptop is never used as a remote, but I will update them.

Might not help but if your running the full version of Roon on it it might help you never know. Perhaps try using just Roon server as it has less overheads.

Processing speed varies depending on the load on the pc at the time, network performance and the content type , local files take less than files from streaming I find, MQA takes a bit hit on processing speed to and if your streaming to multiple endpoints. If your in the 20-40x it should be ok though but 2x is very low and won’t make a good experience if your also doing other things in Roon.

Yeah, I don’t run Rock because I need Onedrive for synchronising my music from my NAS.

For now, I have quite a fluid experience on the Windows and Android Roon apps. So, I think I will update Intel’s graphics drivers and wait a little more to change my Roon Core.

Thanks for your help.

Why do you need OneDrive for that? If your copying from or to another you don’t need OneDrive to do that the Nas can do it itself. I have my Nas do a sync job my music library from rock every night. The Nas then backs this up to OneDrive. You could do it the opposite way and have Nas push to core without onedrive involved at all.

I recently updated the machine running Core from an old Mac Pro (circa 2008!) to a new i5 NUC, and the speed of response and reliability on my remotes dramatically improved. Just FWIW.

Sure, but NAS > Ondrive cloud > Roon Core is what works best for me. And I don’t think I could sync easily from my NAS to an USB drive connected to a Rock server easily.

It’s dead easy if you move of windows my Rock uses usb drive and much quicker as your not constrained by the internet. Windows should be able to make the usb drive shared so then the Qnap can see it. But rock its shared straight away you add an active sync job and add smb to the rocks storage. What Nas do you have? Qnap or Synology?

A Synology (DS 218+). I am reluctant to try this move because I have really bad memories from when I tried to mount a syno folder on a Ubuntu distrib.

I would need to have an active service on the Rock laptop ( Synology Drive) to sync in real time the USB drive with the NAS.

You don’t add anything to the Roon side. It’s done from the Synology side only. Nothing needs installing.

If your using Rock as the os on the core it’s music storage is already set up as an smb share that any device can access using guest as user and guest as password on Linux.

This is then added either as a mount on the Nas using what ever tool you want. Then set up sync job on Nas to send to the rocks storage.

Same can be done if your using windows but you need to make sure you make the drive shared so any machine can access it and same principles apply.

You seem to be over complicating things.

My Qnap has been set up this way for years to pull or push to my USB storage on my ROCK server . It works no issues at all.

Seems easy indeed. I will look to convert my laptop to a Rock server. Thanks.