Laptop will not run Roon anymore

Roon Core Machine

• 10th Generation Intel Core i7-10710U (NUC10i7FNH1) with Intel UHD Graphics 300 MHz – 1 15 GHz
  • HyperX Kingston 8GB 2666MHz DDR4 Non-ECC CL15 SODIMM Impact
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD
  • OS, Version 1.0 (build 227) stable
  • ROCK Version 1.8 (build 814) stable

Networking Gear & Setup Details

• Hardwired (or WiFi if mobile)
  • TELUS Gigabit Fibre-optic & Router
  • DHCP

Connected Audio Devices

• ASUS TUF Laptop A15 on Ethernet 2020 RYZEN 7 4800H 2.9Ghz, 16Gb RAM, Windows 10 v.20H2
  • Simaudio Moon 280D on Ethernet
    *Too many other things that have nothing to do with the problem

Library Size

• 66,000 Tracks on Synology DS213 running DSM 6.2.4

Description of Issue

ASUS TUF laptop usually works just fine but once time during a ROON search of songs on TIDAL it just shut down and since then will not run. If I try to start the application it starts, and nothing can be selected, then shuts down before 10 seconds elapses. I have uninstalled it, reinstalled it and restarted the laptop over and over without success.

I start Roon, it sits idle for a few seconds, then shuts down the application. The rest of Windows and the laptop works fine.

Hi @Roderick_Miller1,

Just to confirm — Are other remote devices working okay? Assuming this is limited to just this Windows device please try each of these steps, and try to launch Roon after each.

1. Disable the device’s firewall
    1. If this helps, please enter an exception in the firewall for Roon and RAATServer
  2. Uninstall and reinstall the graphics drivers directly from the manufacturer’s website
    1. Don’t use Window’s automatic driver updates for this — We’ve seen this cause issues in the past
  3. Download .NET Framework and reinstall it

Next Steps

If none of the above helps, please use these instructions to send us Roon logs from the device.

We’ll also want to take a look at Event Viewer logs, which give some insight into errors being reported by the OS — Please send those as well:

1. Press Win + R and type eventvwr.msc
  2. Press OK – this should open Event Viewer window
  3. From the left sidebar go to Windows Logs > Application
  4. Right click on the Application subsection and pick Filter Current Log… from the context menu
  5. image
  6. On the Filter tab for the Logged section pick a parameter Last 30 days and press OK
  7. image
  8. Right click on the Application subsection again and pick Save filtered log file as… from the context menu
  9. Enter the log file name, for e.g. Roon_USERNAME , and press Save

Most other remotes (Android, iPhone, other PC) all work fine. There was an exception about a week ago, my Android device would not connect to the CORE even though I could easily find it via IP address. It still would not connect for about a week. It seems the problem (and I’ve had a the odd connection or PC non-running issue before) is after a search. After the search it’s like a major connection problem, but only on the remote that I started the search on.

The problem with my Windows laptop has since compounded. I decided to uninstall Roon on the laptop as it was very frustrating and basically unusable. This laptop has very little on it beside several telescope operating and astronomy software packages on it. After un-installing Roon with the Windows tool the laptop became unusable. Total BSOD. Done. Everything else ran fine on the unit until the uninstall.

So, is it Roon or was it the laptop. I don’t know. The laptop was only 10 months old and always used on a cooling pad. No mods at all.

Thanks for your help, which I will keep as reference for future. The laptop is gone for warranty service now as nothing I could do would restore the unit to a usable state (Recovery, Restore, Reset, Startup repair all failed)

:sob: :sob: :sob:

Thanks for the update, @Roderick_Miller1. That sounds very frustrating, I’m sorry that you had to deal with that! BSOD isn’t something that can be caused directly by Roon, so it sounds like there was an underlying issue that was likely also causing some of the issues you were seeing with Roon. I’m hoping you get the laptop back soon and everything works :crossed_fingers:

Please reach out to us if we can be of assistance once it’s been serviced.