Roon Core - Dell R510 / 24GB RAM / Xeon Processor / Windows Server 2016
Roon Bridge - RBP3
Remote(s) MBP (OSX), iPad
DAC - Mytek Brooklyn (first model)
I’ve had a smooth playing system for quite some time. Tonight while fuddling around, I saw an option that allowed volume control of the DAC via Roon, which didn’t work. I did some online searching and found a post that indicated later firmware revisions to the Mytek enabled HID volume controls. I thought, SWEET! So, I plugged the Mytek into my Macbook, loaded up the Mytek Software, and updated to FW 2.36 (from 2.06) without issue.
I then connected the Mytek back to the RBP3 Bridge and tried to play my first audio track, which was a 88.2KHz / 24 Bit file. It stalled at 0:00 and then moved to the next track, same thing, then so on until it hit the end of the album. I tried playing a 16/44 audio file, Same issue. I hit the play button several more times out of frustration and then it started playing!
I thought - ok, cool, something was hung up. I tried the 88.2 file again, same problem. Went back to 16/44, hit play several times, then it started playing. I thought, well then it’s an issue with 88.2KHz and this new firmware (I have been able to play this audio track prior to FW 2.36). By the way, volume control now worked with this firmware, so I thought I’ll live with the fact it cannot play back this one audio file.
Later, I tried DSD. Same issue. Then tried 24/192, same thing. After several trials, it seems to be when trying to play back anything > 24/44 (so 24/88, 24/192, DSD).
I then connected the DAC directly to my MBP, and tried Audirvana. Plays all files without issue. Switches resolutions, etc.
I thought - wow, odd. So started messing with the menus in the Mytek and noticed all sorts of new items. I.E. A way to disable USB volume control, and other stuff.
I also noticed that as soon as I connect the Mytek to the RBP Bridge, it switches the Word Clock option on the Mytek from Internal (which is usually the default and what I want) to the AES digital input (which I do not use). It shows “No Lock” until I switch it back to Internal.
I then tried disabling USB volume, switching roon back to fixed volume, but no dice.
I then rolled firmware to 2.32 (the only other firmware available on site), same issue. Now I’m like, crap, there is no other firmware to download!
I then got the idea to copy the URL for the firmware download, and modify the URL to 2.07, and it worked! I downloaded 2.07. I then flashed to 2.07, and everything is back to how it was, working, but no volume control of course.
TL;DR - Mytek Brooklyn with 2.36FW breaks high res playback. Not sure if you guys have one of these there.