Latest Roon build | Random small popping sounds moving DSP volume, and when selecting play & pause functions

Roon Core Machine

NUC running Roon Rock

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Orbi

Connected Audio Devices

NUC Rock > Ropieee RPI4 > Motu Ulttralite MK5 > 3x Stereo Purifi amps > Multiway active speaker setup.

Number of Tracks in Library

27,500??

Description of Issue

Since the latest build the following is occurring (More obvious):

• When I move the Roon DSP fader I hear low volume “P-P-P-P” (low level digital popping) sounds.
  • When I Pause or hit Play I am getting a noticeable “P” (pop sound).

Before the most recent Roon update play and pause were silent, EDIT: or at least the noise was not as noticeable… But I did get a low level PPPPP DSP sound on volume ramping up and down fast, annoying.

Things I have tried to overcome/diagnose the issue:

• RPI4: Rebooted Ropieee
  • RPI4: Tried ubuntu server/bridge
  • ROCK: Rebooted NUC Rock
  • ROON SERVER: Tried an alternative build of Roon on my i7 HP elite PC, to serve the RPI4 inplace of the Rock…

No difference with any setup change.

Any ideas how this can be improved?

Thanks
Steve

Are you absolutely sure about that?
What’s in-between RPi and Motu?

I’ve unfortunately not got any improvements to offer, just an observation, which I’d be thankful to get a comment on from @support.

I’ve extensively used two DACs, and intermittently two others on loan, throughout the past ~2 1/2 years and regardless of SW/FW version, interconnections and setup there’s always been more or less strong tics and pops when starting/stopping, ffwd/skipping, or using DSP volume during playback.

My assumption is, that there’s no algorithm implemented in RAAT looking for signal zero-crossing occurrence to then perform the respective command.
Instead, any such command is instantly executed.

Waiting a couple of microseconds at the max for a zero-crossing to occur would eliminate these more or less severe instant sample to sample signal jumps.

1 Like

Thanks for your helpful and insightful reply…

@Marin_Weigel, the connection is USB.
Roon performs all crossover duties/DSP for my setup.

NUC Rock > RPI4 (Ropieee, or Ubuntu/Bridge) > USB > Motu Ultralite MK5 lite > Amps > 3way active speaker setup.

This is absolutely not a DAC or setup issue, the issue seems to be Roon, and the way it handles play/stop, DSP volume. Noting, I have also heard the DSP volume popping on ramping on my RME DAC also.

However these noises seem to be a little worse on the latest build for me, the play/stop pops definitely are.

I will say the pops don’t always occur, sometimes Roon’s DSP volume will ramp perfectly noise free, play stop have functioned without noise also… hmmm.

Seems to be Roon SW/coding issue.

I believe the DSP volume ramping noises have always been present, but since the latest update I have particularly noticed the play and pause “pops”.

Although I have seen other random forum members complaining about this issue also well prior to this update.

Whatever needs to be “tweaked” I would be all for…
The play/pause thing is really not ideal, it makes the software feel clumsy/unfinished.

1 Like

Yes of course, in cases where the command execution by Roon falls between close enough sample values or onto a zero-crossing point just by chance.

There are also recordings, somehow mastered with a DC offset, which causes pops even during silence.

1 Like

Interesting, have you addressed this issue before with Roon Support?

As you have, this user has also complained about sample rate pops.

No, since my issue with this is not annoying me enough to bother.

I’d much rather like some nice fading out/in when skipping tracks, and that’s what I voted for, but Roon has communicated less than being interest in it, because this would result in a major RAAT recode; and I think it would get the bit-perfect squad all puffed-up due to this involving DSP.

And I think, Roon tries to avoid any RAAT recoding anyways, because that would probably cause a plethora of issues with all their Roon ready partners’ firmwares…

1 Like

Well hopefully they can do something to address the issue.

Hey @grizaudio, I just saw your post in another thread related to popping noises in Roon where you said you had resolved your issue with a resync change in the advanced settings for your device.

Are you good to go now?

No unfortunately the popping (PP, PFT) on volume and play pause is not addressed with this change.

That change simply addressed a playback timing difference on Dac clock sync, which is great.

The volume and DSP Play/pause noise is still there randomly.

Marin has described it best above in this thread.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

@support,

I’m curious whether Roon has made any comments concerning audible pops between track skips and volume routing pops/pffts. Searching the forum, it seems other users also experience this phenomenon with Roon.

In my system, I have tried addressing the issue with track delays etc, different servers, network connections, endpoints but the popping randomly occurs on track skips and volume ramping.

As I run an active speaker setup, and convolution filters for crossover, my ability to test without convolution is limited. However it seems many users are experiencing the popping sounds, with no DSP engaged.

The best explanation I could see on the issue was this:

The above link is my original post on my issue.