Latest Roon Hangs on Windows 10 21H1 when switching and using other windows

Core Machine

Windows 10 21H1, Dell Alienware M17 R2, Core i7-9750 @ 2.60 GHz, 16 GB RAM
(Roon is running on an Intel NUC core i7)

Network Details

Ethernet connected. Network gear is not the problem because this problem exists since latest Roon update, before this it was working fine.

Audio Devices

On the Alienware an Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt is connected with Kef Eggs with a Kef Cube subwoofer.

Library Size

53.400 tracks

Description of Issue

When i go use other windows and applications the Roon appclication keeps playing but doesn’t respond anymore when i want to navigate through Roon. Only closing (the music stops playing then) and restarting the application fixes this until the next time it hangs, which can be within a few minutes…

Hello @Audiofi3l,

I am so sorry that we missed your post for almost two weeks…:pleading_face: . I apologize for the extreme delay.

If you’re still experiencing this behavior, I was wondering if you could give a try to manually reinstalling the graphics drivers. We’ve seen this resolve similar issues to yours, as Windows’ automatic updates can be unreliable at times. These would be the steps:

• Restart your Windows machine
  • Uninstall the graphics drivers
  • Download the graphics drivers from the manufacturer’s website
  • Re-install them

Thanks in advance :pray:

Hi Rebeka,

i am also sorry for mine even later reply :grimacing:.

I have tried what you said, this doesn’t solve the issue. The Roon application hangs while still playing. So sometimes it takes a while before i notice it. The only thing i can do is closing the Roon application and restarting it. When i close the app, the music stops playing.

Kind regards,
Mart

Hello @Audiofi3l,

Absolutely no worries - we’re happy to hear back at any time :nerd_face:

I’ve looped in our technical team so they can share any insight on what could resolve this :pray:

Hi @Audiofi3l — I’m so, so sorry for the late response!

The next time this happens can you please use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link (or any other file sharing service)? We’ll take a look and see what’s happening during that time. Thanks!

Hi Dylan,

thank you for your response, i have zipped the logfils from my laptop where the hanging occurs. This happened two times July 27th around 12:55pm…

I add again, the music playing continues, while the interface is not responding anymore on mouseclicks.

Thank you!

Hi Dylan,

it has been a while, is there an update on this case, because it still exists and is really annoying!

Kind regards

Hi @Audiofi3l, I’m so sorry for the lack of response here! We haven’t been able to reproduce this in-house and are hoping you can send event viewer logs so we can get a bit more info.

1. Press Win + R and type eventvwr.msc
  2. Press OK – this should open Event Viewer window
  3. From the left sidebar go to Windows Logs > Application
  4. Right click on the Application subsection and pick Filter Current Log... from the context menu
  5. On the Filter tab for the Logged section pick a parameter Last 30 days and press OK
  6. Right click on the Application subsection again and pick Save filtered log file as.. from the context menu
  7. Enter the log file name, for e.g. Roon_USERNAME , and press Save

Thanks!

Hey @Audiofi3l,

We’re so sorry this issue has been ongoing at least until your last post in September… :sweat:

I wonder if that’s still the case? If so, could you please follow Dylan’s instructions above? :nerd_face:

We’d love to help :pray: