Synology 1522+ w. 8GB RAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Wired ethernet, Netgear switches

Connected Audio Devices

Multiple, issue with Rose RS250.

Number of Tracks in Library

25K tracks

Description of Issue

After I have finally managed to get the latest build 1193 installed, I was playing with convolution files (UMIK-2 arrived today) and created a DRC filter for the Rose. When playing a DSD256 file I noticed that Roon was converting it to PCM first (understyandable) and then to DSD64. I tried a
24/352.8 PCM file instead anbd noticed that it is being converted to 24/176.4.

So I went into device setup for the RS250 and here is what I saw:
Rose itself is capable of 32/768 and DSD512, and previously Roon allowed me to select full PCM resolution and up to DSD256. Now, DSD settings do not appear at all (but it still sends DSD64 to it?!) and PCM is limited to 192.

Just checked the Rose directly, and it still played DSD2256 etc. natively just fine. Rebooted it, from the Rose app, and suddenly Roon started seeing correct capabilities. What could be wrong there?

PS Applying convolutions to DSD256 with conversion back to DSD256 quickly runs out of RAM on an 8GB NAS, but that I can take care of…

1 Like

Hello again @Boris_Molodyi,

Thank you for patiently awaiting a response here. That’s a nice piece of equipment you have there.

I think I recall this unit allowing you to set the max sample rate in the settings menu. Can you confirm what it’s set to if so?

Also, how is this unit connected to your setup? Ethernet? USB?

Thanks,
Wes

Thanks!

Everything on the Rose is set to maximum, and it is on a wired Ethernet. If I go through RoseConnect app and manage to find the file(which is a pain once your library grows big enough, but then that’s why I have Roon!) it plays the file fine.

PS Is it possible to send native DSD over USB? I replaced that NAD we’re having problems with in the other thread with a Peachtree Nova 150 plugged into an old notebook), and only options I see are either DoP or “dCS method” whatever that might be.

Thanks!

Roon Core Machine

Synology 1522+

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Linksys router, D-Link and Netgear switches, 1Gb ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

Rose RS250, Bluesound Node

Number of Tracks in Library

~20K

Description of Issue

When configuring the HiFi Rose RS250 player, the highest DSD format I can specify is DSD256, but RS250 supports up to DSD512. Not sure if this is a Roon, Rose, or some other issue so I’m asking in both places.

Thanks!

This sometimes happens where the Roon implementation for DSD from the supplier is lower than the maximum capability through other methods.
My Mini I Pro 3 can do DSD512 but Roon only does DSD128, and it has never been updated to a higher level.

It doesn’t get in the way of enjoying it at all, but sometimes annoys me

1 Like

What is the audio chain from Roon to the Rose.

Lossless, like this:
(don’t have a DSD file playing right now, but it would be the same)

No DPS, no filters, DSP, bitrate conversion or anything…

What does it say in the Advanced Audio settings as below. Does it allow you to change the settings to a higher quality

Thanks but I meant was how is it connected. Example,
Nucleus > usb > dac or
Nucleus > ethernet > dac.

@Michael_Harris that’s the thing:
Highest DSD resolution it shows is DSD256.

@Rugby ah, both are plugged into a gigabit switch so Synology(core) > ethernet > Rose.

1 Like

Hi @Boris_Molodyi that is suggesting that it is a HiFi Rose limitation and the same as my Matrix Audio limiting it to DSD128.
I get the feeling that is to make sure the networking is reliable as DSD256 takes about 23Mb a second with DSD512 requiring just under 50Mb constant traffic so I can imagine why the vendor does not want to take any responsibility for any network failure that might be incurred with that much constant bandwidth required. Of course I could be wrong here

1 Like

@Michael_Harris That could be, but Rose advertises it as capable of DSD512 playback, with no limitations on input (as long as it is not S/PDIF or/ Toslink, of course), and 50Mbps should not be an issue on a 1Gb network… Not that the vendor could not be fudging things a bit, but this looks like a somewhat arbitrary limitation, whether it is on Roon’s or Rose’s end.

I know it’s Christmas, but have you contacted Hi-fi Rose for a response, because it certainly seems to be a decision they have made.
While you have 1Gb network, most people will be using WiFi and there a constant 50Mb is actually quite high given that WiFi is not Duplex and someone watching Netflix, gaming or downloading app updates etc can have a big impact on performance.

(I am currently listening to a DSD128 from PS Audio and darned those files are big, but it would be great to have a choice)

After going through the Rose documentation. It does specify DSD512 using a DLNA network source, it is strangely quiet in there documentation about any specifications using Roon, making it all that much weirder since the docs spell out in detail DLNA and other network sources.

Roon works by querying the device and asking for it’s capabilities. Roon will then set itself up to what the device has responded with. So, if Roon is showing a DSD256 limit, that is what the device has responded to Roon as it’s limitation. Try looking through the Device settings and see if there is a DOP vs Native setting.

As Michael stated, I would start this investigation with Rose, since Roon is setting itself up based on what the Rose details. DSD always has these little gotchas, sadly.

1 Like

@Michael_Harris Yes, I even mentioned in the original post that I am asking in both places :grinning:

Don’t know if today is a holiday in Korea, but haven’t heard back from Rose yet.

@Rugby DSD is set to “Native DSD (Up to DSD512)” other available settings are either “not supported” with analog output, or only go to DSD128.

This might well be a Rose issue (still waiting for a reply from them) but I would think that for an officially Roon Ready device Roon might be privy to a bit more information than what’s available in Rose’s user documentation (which, alas, isn’t translated all that well anyway)…

Good luck Boris, will be interesting to see if they plan to update it and maybe increase the limit at some point

@Michael_Harris Well, Rose did reply with:

By using Roon, for example, PCM 32bit/768khz, native dsd512 is received, and PCM 32bit/768khz, native dsd512 is output through USB audio output.
When dsd to pcm mode is selected, dsd128, when DoP mode is selected, up to dsd256 can be output by USB.

so I would assume they think it should work at DSD512.

I’m sure that the answer from Rose is wrong!
I’ve also a RS250 as a Roon endpoint and DSD256 is the highest one in using RAAT.
There isn’t also no DLNA client (as mentioned before) included in the RS250 (only a renderer without openhome → not gapless). So you can only use SMB V1 for files in the network or local files from HDD or using the RS250 as USB DAC.
Here it’s possible to handle DSD512, but if you use (like me) an external DAC with the RS250, it will output in every case DoP (for USB max DSD256 DoP).

Boris like @Burkhardt_Petermann I am not convinced that HR support know what they are telling you here as the device tells Roon what it’s capabilities are, not the other way around. Maybe it is capable of DSD512 but their Room Ready certified version is limited to DSD256.

It surprises me that DSD over USB only goes to DSD256 as I have previously noticed other devices that go higher for DSD over USB compared to Roon.

Still there is so little difference between DSD256 and DSD512 that I would not be overly concerned about hearing any audible difference.

Also you both have wonderful streaming amplifiers :+1:t2:

Entirely possible, I guess. I think I was able to play a sample DSD512 file from an attached disk (so I guess it was sort of USB, but not USB audio). And it was from a hard drive predating USB 3.2, so it would be significantly slower than what a gigabit ethernet can deliver, too.

I’m not particularly concerned about the sound part (well, I don’t need 32/768 either, no one can hear a real difference, and I haven’t seen a single track actually available in that format either), it’s more that it is annoying that I have purchased something that claims to support higher formats, but apparently you can’t actually use them. And if I were to purchase some track, I’d want to purchase them in the highest available resolution, and play them without having to downsample…

But other than that it is a very nice streamer…

2 Likes