Latest update killed web server

@spockfish - any ideas why the latest update killed the web server? All other services appear to start normally:

When I run systemctl:

ropieee-web.service loaded activating auto-restart RoPieee Web Page

Stuck on “activating”. A reboot doesn’t resolve it. Any logs I can look into?

If I try to run a manual stop / start command it fails, so I run journalctl -xe and get:

– Subject: Unit process exited

– Defined-By: systemd

– Support: systemd-devel Info Page

– An ExecStart= process belonging to unit ropieee-web.service has exited.

– The process’ exit code is ‘exited’ and its exit status is 1.

Apr 04 10:01:31 ropieeexl ropieee-web[18467]: *** SERVICE STOPPED UNEXPECTEDLY ***

Apr 04 10:01:31 ropieeexl systemd[1]: Started /opt/RoPieee/sbin/send-auto-feedback webpage-stopped-unexpected.

– Subject: A start job for unit run-r6f8e920817eb4dfe9e7786aee4ba513b.service has finished successfully

– A start job for unit run-r6f8e920817eb4dfe9e7786aee4ba513b.service has finished successfully.

– The job identifier is 985309.

Apr 04 10:01:31 ropieeexl ropieee-web[18468]: Running as unit: run-r6f8e920817eb4dfe9e7786aee4ba513b.service

Apr 04 10:01:31 ropieeexl send-auto-feedback[18469]: Warning: auto-feedback only works on the beta repository, silently ingoring for now…

Apr 04 10:01:31 ropieeexl systemd[1]: ropieee-web.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.

– Subject: Unit failed

– The unit ropieee-web.service has entered the ‘failed’ state with result ‘exit-code’.

Apr 04 10:01:31 ropieeexl systemd[1]: Failed to start RoPieee Web Page.

– Subject: A start job for unit ropieee-web.service has failed

– A start job for unit ropieee-web.service has finished with a failure.

– The job identifier is 985234 and the job result is failed.

Apr 04 10:01:31 ropieeexl systemd[1]: run-r6f8e920817eb4dfe9e7786aee4ba513b.service: Succeeded.

– Subject: Unit succeeded

– The unit run-r6f8e920817eb4dfe9e7786aee4ba513b.service has successfully entered the ‘dead’ state.

And if I run systemctl status ropieee-web.service I get

• ropieee-web.service - RoPieee Web Page
    Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/ropieee-web.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
    Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2021-04-04 10:03:48 PDT; 8s ago
    Process: 18687 ExecStartPre=mkdir -p /tmp/state (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Process: 18688 ExecStartPre=mkdir -p /data/state (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Process: 18689 ExecStartPre=/opt/RoPieee/webpage/setup.sh (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Process: 18691 ExecStart=/usr/bin/node --max_old_space_size=128 /opt/RoPieee/webpage/runtime/app.js (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
    Process: 18698 ExecStopPost=/opt/RoPieee/webpage/post.sh (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Main PID: 18691 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Anyone? @spockfish ?

YMMV, but I’d suggest just re-flashing.

One thing you could try before going for a reflash is an update from the command-line.

So login in and run the following command:

systemctl start ropieee-download-updates
reboot

And see what happens (give it some time, the update can take up to 10 minutes or so).

Thank you, that is what I needed.

@Nathan_Wilkes : Yes, I realize I could have completely disassembled my case / LCD screen, pulled out the SD card, re-flashed it and started over, but that is not really how I like to operate. I like to see something broken, fix it and learn from it. Offering such advice may be the easy way out for some but not me, hence why I opened this topic and i hope others see this and now learn from it otherwise why even have a forum when all roads point to “just reload the card”. :slight_smile:

1 Like