Leaving Roon after price increase

SORRY there ain’t no such thing as a free lunch

The app cost is a part of the product development of the hardware

1 Like

About the lifetime subscription: as a subscriber I wouldn’t worry about my lifetime but more about Roon’s lifetime as companies like Roon come and go…

1 Like

I’ll add my 2 cents, not to criticize Roon, but rather to provide feedback. My use case is mine though and is possibly not the one Roon are aiming for. Essentially though, as Tidal subscriber and having stored my music on a hard drive / Network drive and having compared (perhaps not overly critically) Roon playing my locally / networked stored files versus streaming via Tidal, I have not noticed sufficient difference to make Roon my winner over Tidal. This leaves Tidal as a source I am more than happy with - one reason less to use Roon. Then we come to Tidal versus Roon for serving up suggestions, artist vs Roon Radio etc and my conclusion is that Tidal whilst not doing it as well as Roon does, is doing enough that it makes no real sense for me to shell out almost the same again for suggestions, information and a better radio. I feel Roon isn’t for me, much as I like it, but with prices increasing, it is never again going to be for me, as my requirements are met by Tidal and the extra that Roon offers is something I can happily go without. Roon at a fiver a month becomes interesting for me - as a layer on top of Tidal, without the ability to play local or network stored digital files, but this is not what Roon is trying to do, I get that. So, so long, and good luck!

2 Likes

@Dans - your logic makes perfect sense. If I did not have my own local library of music, if I had no need to stream to more than one endpoint, if DSP and depth of metadata was of little interest, if all I wanted to do was to play music, then there is a wide set of options (Spotify, Amazon Music, Apple Music, Qobuz, Tidal, Deezer…) that all do that sufficiently well.

IMHO, Roon offers a much more robust way of listening to music, but not everyone has the interest, time or resources for it. Bottom line, enjoy music however serves you best.

3 Likes

At the end of the day we all have to do our own cost / benefit analysis. Mine:

Pros:

• Ability to change album names, metadata, tags.
  • Solid AirPlay connectivity for background listening.

Cons:

• No option to view album year in album view, no option to not see annoying critics’ reviews, no browse by label.
  • Price
  • Bugs / Constant updates

I’ll probably cancel my sub in December and see if going without makes much of a difference.

Do you mean in My Albums, the overview? Good point, would be nice if years were shown, in particular if sorted by date. Did you check if a feature request exists?

In the album view itself it’s possible. The one at the top is the original release date, the lower one is the release date. It’s possible to sort by either in My Albums (option in settings)

In My Albums you can focus on years. This is from the phone, where it is limited. There are additional options on tablet and PC (you can choose arbitrary from-to years):

A solution for the second will come soon and is already in earlyaccess testing:

1 Like

In Focus (and Search) you can list albums in your Library by Label. So if you want to see what you have in your Library for a given Label, it works. Of course, if you want to see what albums Tidal or Qobuz have for the same label that you have not yet added to your library, Roon isn’t going to help with that. That would be a great feature.

2 Likes

LMS year and album view.

I hope Roon implements year display, and I very much hope they don’t do it as ugly as this.

Anyway, here is the feature request. Zero people voted for it and 8 posts in the thread, so.

2 Likes

Thanks. People should search for existing requests before opening new ones. This one isn’t a burner either with 4 votes though :slight_smile:

I really don’t care about the number of votes on a forum post, it’s a no-brainer. Especially when you have the option to add all this useless crap

3 Likes

You might not but it will be a part of how Roon prioritizes work.

And it’s only so simple if doing it as poorly as LMS in the screenshot above.

Some of “all the useless crap” is relevant for me by the way. See, people have different priorities, who would have thought. Hence, votes.

4 Likes

This is not the feature request thread.

2 Likes

you are fully right …only unhappy people will post here …the happy people will accept the price increase but the main question is still without any answer

HOW MANY users are ROON customers ???they wrote " Every day, hundreds of thousands of customers use[ Roon 2.0 and Roon ARC it starts with 100 000 users as a minimum and possibly also the total numbers of users !!! obviously this is a confidential issue and i understand this .

streaming its personal library with ARC is a plus …only Apple offers the same feature but not with the same quality …

100.000 are officially stated on the website, Danny once (a considerable time ago) wrote 250,000 on the forum, and when later a forum member referred to that, IIRC Danny replied that it was much more now

Disclosing the user / license data is giving an insight into the income of Roon which many companies do not particularly want to share . Public lite companies obviously have to .

The lt figure as @Suedkiez say that was "quoted’ in a thread was 250 k , maybe 2 years ago , not sure actually when.

For the people that are complaining about the price Increase… Do you stop buying food as well?

Rent for my condo went up this year 15%, electricity is up 40% something, food anywhere from 5% to 100%.

Just get a lifetime license for roon while it is still 700USD and pay that In installments with a creditcard (amex lets you do that with 0% at the moment)