Less than optimal screen real estate usage on (the new) iPad Pro 12.9"

I was ‘hoping’ it would be sonething as simple as supporting the new model number like discussed here:

Regarding upsampling I of course checked the DSP settings and disabled it. It’s set to a greyed out ‘for compatibility only’ by default.

Are you guys @support working on this issue? My new 3rd gen iPad Pro 12.9” remains on Landscape only, with a ton of wasted space on layout and screen.

Could we get the option of portrait mode back for Roon on the bigger iPad Pro (late 2018) at least and maybe on the smaller one too? My family has both and these devices seem entirely capable of handling it. I don’t see what the problem is. It’s really annoying to bend our heads st 90 degree angles to use Roon.

The problem is the new model that Roon needs to work on. It was the same issue last year around June 2017, when 2nd generation iPad Pro 12.9”

They fixed it then, and I am confident they will fix it again. They are working on it

I’m getting horrible J stinking River flashbacks here as the silence from Roon HQ is deafening! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Any updates to report?

Just address on this thread:

1 Like

Thanks thyname! Let’s hope the new app update is near. :slight_smile:

Me too. I am hoping this gets solved soon. Inability of my iPad Pro 12.9" to use Roon in portrait mode is driving me crazy. I wish I did not upgrade. My second gen Pro was fine.

@support

Is this coming soon? I hate having the black bars on the sides of my app! Thanks in advance!

Can you show a photo ?

Sure.

How disappointed was I when I got my new iPad Pro 11 inch for Christmas and saw that Roon isn’t yet optimised for it :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

It sounds like this will be fixed on the next Roon OS release, whenever that happens

Yep looking forward to the update. The new 12.9" iPad pro really is good, including as a better remote than the previous due to its reduced size and weight. But the black bars around the Roon app need to go, and portrait mode would be appreciated too!

1 Like

Hello All,

I wanted to touch base with some good news and let you know that we’ve made some changes in Roon version 1.6 which should address this issue. Please update both your Roon Remote and Core and let me know how it goes!

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

Hi @noris,

After some problems upgrading my Rock that required a forced restart of Rock before the upgrade would start (I waited 30-45 minutes with the spinning wheel “searching for update” without any success) I can now confirm that my 12,9" iPad 2018 is making good use of the entire screen and it also works fine in portrait mode!

Many thanks Roon-team for an excellent update! :hugs:

2 Likes

Display works in both portrait and landscape mode now in my 2018 12.9” iPad Pro. Thank you!

No biggie but I did notice that for example 44.1kHz/16 bit tracks are still being resampled to 48kHz/24bit while I did not configure resampling. I don’t believe this was the case on my 1st gen iPad Pro vut don’t know if it’s a Roon issue.

1 Like

Hi @Antoine,

Thanks for the feedback regarding the iPad Pro display!

Can you please open a thread in #support and post a few examples of the re-sampled issue anlong with your setup information as mentioned in this thread?

Thanks,
Noirs

It’d be so nice if we could get portrait mode back. It’s in the app from the days when it supported the old big iPad, is it really that hard to add a little bit of code for it? Even if it’s suboptimal (it won’t be), it’d be really nice not to have to rotate the iPad to change songs when your are reading in portrait mode or whatever.

1 Like

Has it ever worked for anything else than the Pro? This is how it looks like on the 12,9".