LG Chromecast sound bar not showing up in Roon

Roon Core Machine

Nucleus Plus

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Plusnet two hub ,Netgear gigabit switch prose gs 105. Ethernet , no VPN.

Connected Audio Devices

USB from Nucleus plus to Topping DX7 Pro+ headphone amp phono cable out to hifi amp
HDMI from Nucleus plus to LG SH8 Sound bar

Number of Tracks in Library

25,000 tracks

Description of Issue

Can't enable sound bar in audio settings - when I try enable sign flashes but doesn't change and status on sound bar window changes to say wifi .

I recently read from one of you [tech people] when performing diagnostics test saying something like, everything ok but noticed something odd about SH8 [sound bar] being mentioned , ive just updated the sound bar to latest firmware thinking thatā€™s the problem but no good , it used to work using HDMI cable from Nucleus to sound bar but ive noticed twice whilst changing settings in. DSP it suddenly says error too many failed tries, says on play bar nothing playing when pressing play symbol , it will only play when I enable Topping DX Pro+ headphone amp.
The sound bar worked fine when Nucleus Plus was new it would play wirelessly no problem,
something seems to have happened to the sound bar since then, has this been my problem all the time, if you turn the Nucleus off then back on it still has the same problem as before
but have noticed when I disconnect the HDMI cable from the Nucleus which goes to the sound bar the Nucleus suddenly comes to life and switches on proper, that tells me that probably the Nucleus has done something to the sound bar ,and while the sound bar is connected to the Nucleus either by Ethernet cable or HDMI cable thereā€™s a problem with the Nucleus Plus, when sound bar is completely disconnected from everything Nucleus seems ok. Does this make any sense to you.

Iā€™ve moved your Support request post into the existing support thread, since it seems to be a continuation of the same issue.

Hi @stephen_ollerton ,

Happy New Year and apologies for the delayed response here, it looks like I missed your follow-up message. Are you still seeing the issue at the present time?

This sounds like the sound bar is detecting the HDMI signal and switching to be only locked on the HDMI input, there might be a setting that allows you to disable this automatic switching functionality, itā€™s sometimes called ARC (Audio Return Channel) on soundbars.

Hello Noris
The Sound Bar has two HDMIs one is IN and one is OUT which says to the TV ARC.
At first all I needed to do was enable in audio settings where it said SH8 that was the Sound Bar model number and it enabled and played music from the Nucleus.
It still says that but wonā€™t enable when I click on it anymore.
I can connect an HDMI cable from the Nucleus to the HDMI IN on the Sound Bar and it works even if thereā€™s an HDMI going from SOUND BAR HDMI ARC OUT to the TV HDMI ARC so the TV plays through the SOUND BAR.
Iā€™ve tried enabling the SOUND BAR in audio settings on the Nucleus without any cables connected to the SOUND BAR like it did in the beginning when it worked , but with the TV turned off and it wonā€™t enable.
Both HDMI A AND B on my Nucleus work fine, but not were it says SH8 which is the SOUND BAR.
Iā€™ve been in touch with LG customer service and was told it sounds like a compatibility problem, they put a request to who ever does the firmware to ask for firmware update, then I got back in touch and they said thereā€™s an update, I updated the firmware and it was still the same issue, when I checked the firmware it was 2016, thereā€™s only been two updates and that one was the last one they did.
I bought the SOUND BAR in 2016 when it was new.
I got back in touch and told them they have not updated the firmware.
I said it sounds like thereā€™s some issues with the SOUND BAR they said we canā€™t fix it thereā€™s no parts you will have to bye a new one.
It cost me over Ā£700 and it canā€™t be fixed they donā€™t make spare parts for them they just replace with equivalent if you pay extra for insurance to cover the cost of replacing.

Hi @stephen_ollerton ,

I checked the diagnostics for the Nucelus and I am seeing the Chromecast lost connection errors very often in your logs.

Can you share a screenshot of your Roon Settings ā†’ Audio tab? I also noticed you have two Music Flow H3 that support Chromecast, do those fail to work properly too?

Please note that you will not be able to use the Chromecast feature from Roon at the same time as you are Chromecasting something else to the zone.

Hi Noris Iā€™ve took a screen shot of my audio settings it says go to post and click on screen shot to apply it canā€™t find where it says screen shot .

Hi, when you are creating a post at the top of the edit window there should be a couple of image icons, the one you want displays ā€œuploadā€ when you hover a mouse pointer over it.

Alternative, you can copy / paste an image into the editor.

Hi @noris, Iā€™ve managed to take a screenshot of the audio settings it then said go to the post and click on screenshot to add it I canā€™t find where it says screenshot.

You just have to click on where it says SH8 which is sound bar and the other speakers you mention are part of the sound bar you bye them separate there all LG speakers and work with the sound bar to make it become 4.1 two speakers on sound bar.

The two rear ones which are H3 and whatever the other one is called and a subwoofer which comes with the sound bar all 3.

Speakers are connected to internet, Iā€™ve only just found out you can connect the rear speakers wireless to the sound bar which has to have a ethernet cable connected I think thatā€™s why there not showing on audio settings now with not using ethernet cable for the rear speakers am I making sense hope I am.

And to tag a user you have to add an at sign before the name, like @stephen_ollerton, else @noris wonā€™t see it

Hi @stephen_ollerton ,

I was doing a review of previous cases and I noticed we missed your reply here, apologies for that. Are you still having this issue at the present time with your Chromecast?