LG G7 plays like a scratched CD when leaving Roon App

Hey guys,
Just bought the LG G7 with its fancy quad dac.

It works great as a Roon endpoint till the moment I leave the app playing in the background to browse the internet for example.

As soon as I leave the Roon remote app, the sound becomes buggy, just as if I played a scratched CD… Once I go back to the Roon remote app, everything comes back into order.

Do you know what is happening and how I could fix this ?
Thanks a lot !
Vincent

Edit : it seems clearing the cache of the Android Roon remote app fixes the problem. What does it mean ? I can’t do it every ten minutes…

When I bought my ASUS ZenPad 3S 10 in January 2018, I had no trouble using it as a Roon Remote. The last couple of months though, it frequently loses connection to Core (on Windows 10) and Core or the tablet must be restarted to restore. The tablet (WiFi) and Core (Ethernet) both remain on the network during this. It is not the worst thing in the world, but I do use the tablet mostly for Roon Remote.

Hello @Vincent_Baudoin,

Thanks for contacting support, I’d be happy to take a look over this issue with you. I have a few questions so that I can better understand this issue:

• Can you please let me know more information regarding your setup here? Please list your Roon Core specs and build number that it’s using (you can find this information in Roon Settings -> About)
  • Are you using the newest Roon version (build 354) on your LG G7?
  • How your Core is connected to the network here, is it through Ethernet or WiFi?
  • Is the Core connected to the Router directly or to a Switch/Range Extender?
  • Would you be able to provide a video of this issue?

Please let me know your findings when possible.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,
Sorry for the late reply - october has sadly been too busy for music…

Here are the answers to your questions:

• Roon Core is 1.5 build 360 64bit
  • Roon on LG G7 is 1.5 build 360 32 bit
  • my core is connected through wifi (very fast optic fiber, never had a problem with it)
  • no, I don’t use a switch/range extender
  • yes, I guess i could make a video of the problem - tell me where I can send it

Many thanks for your help Noris !
Vincent

Hello @Vincent_Baudoin,

Thanks for letting me know that information. The best way to get us the video would be by uploading it to a shared Dropbox or google drive link and then posting the shared link here. Alternatively, you can also post this video to our servers if you don’t use Dropbox or Google Drive, I will PM you a link shortly on how to do that.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,

Many thanks for your answer.

The video has been uploaded to your server ; file name : LGG7_Roon_Problem.mp4

Hope it’s clear enough for you. I encounter the same problem with all the files I play through my brand new LG G7. I don’t with my girlfriend’s Huawei P20.

Do you have any idea where the problem comes from ?

My best,

Vincent

Hello @Vincent_Baudoin,

Thank you for submitting the video, I can confirm that we have received it and I started a case for you with our QA team who can look into this behavior further.

I have also gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is next time your Core & LGG7 is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis.

I kindly ask for you to reproduce this issue once more and note the local time in your country (ex. 7:50PM) that you leave the Roon app and notice the issue occur. Please let me know this timestamp and then we can cross-reference the logs at that time to see if there are any indication as to what causes this behavior.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,
I just completed your test.

I started to play a track (by Kamasi Washington) on my LG G7 mobile device at 8:08 pm. Everything was fine. Then I left the Roon app at 8:09pm to go ty my mobile desktop while the track was still playing in the background. The sound was a mess. I remained in this buggy situation till 8:10pm, when I came back into the Roon app. Everything came back to normal.

So the problem occurred for a whole minute starting from 8:09pm.

Please tell me what you guys saw !
My best,
Vincent

Oh, and I forgot to tell you : once or twice, clearing the cache of the Roon mobile app improved the situation. But this trick doesn’t do any good now.

Hello @Vincent_Baudoin,

Thank you for performing the test. I just took a look at our diagnostics server and noticed that the logs for your Android device have still not come in yet and as such I have re-enabled diagnostics mode for your account. Can you please try to open your Roon app on the Android device and Core once more? You do not need to run the test again but just open the Roon app on both your Core and Android device. I will be sure to confirm with you that diagnostics have successfully reached our servers.

Thanks,
Noris

Sure.
Both apps are running now.
Thanks !
Vincent

Hello @Vincent_Baudoin,

Thank you. I can confirm that the diagnostics have successfully reached our servers this time around and I have submitted them to QA for analysis. I will be sure to let you know once I hear back regarding their report and appreciate your patience in the meantime!

Thanks,
Noris

Many thanks Noris !
All the best,
V

Hello Vincent_Baudoin,

I appreciate your patience while I consulted with the QA team regarding your case. We have been able to reproduce the issue in our lab and have submitted this case to the dev team. While I cannot comment on a timeline, they are aware of this issue and will be working towards fixing this behavior in a future Roon release.

Thanks,
Noris

OK Noris. I’ll try to be patient :wink:
Thanks a lot for your help through the process.
My best,
Vincent