Lib Maintenace "Not associated with storage location"

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

High end WIn10 Pro with ROON server only

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Core located in util room along with network rack that contains Motorola Surfboard SB6141 modem, Ubiquitii edgerouter, TP-Link TL-SG2216 manged swtich, QNAP NAS for files

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Fiber from switch > Sonore Optical Rendu > USB from OR to DAC

Description Of Issue

Looking for some insight into “not associated with storage location” meaning.

I haven’t changed storage settings / location since day one and I occasionally go into the ROON library maintenance setting “just to see” and it never reported much of anything. Now it is showing 4226 tracks?

lib maint

• I don’t stream and use local lib/files located on NAS (network rack in util room)

Now I have recently done some clean up on albums, usually:

• Unidentified albums so I’ll edit the metadata directly on the file via dBpowermp (mapped drive in windows explorer) and then on same album in ROON (edit > edit album) for anything further

• On multi discs not be recognized in ROON, I’ll create a Disc 1 + Disc 2 folder under the parent that didn’t exist initially (e.g. change The Wall, Disc 1 to The Wall \ Disc 1 and Disc 2 sep folders)

• Drop folder into Musicbrainz Picard, do a look up and save (basically a manual meta data update external to ROON, kind of like a dBpoweramp edit

The ROON server did recently get a major update to 1809 build. I set to delay all updates to the longest period. So 1809 isn’t the most recent build by any stretch but I wonder if that alone triggered something.

Additionally, I don’t notice anything “wrong” in my enviro and ROON has been pretty solid without issues, but am wondering if this “not associated” is a bad indicator or if something problematic?

Thanks for any assistance

That indicates that a storage location was removed. For example, a storage location on an external USB and the USB was pulled out. Or location on a network resource that is turned off

The location was not disabled it just isn’t there anymore.

Hmm, OK thanks for chiming in, appreciated. However, as my OP indicated, nothing has changed on my storage location, in years.

My Core, dedicated Win10 Pro wkst only running ROON server and my 4TB of music located on a NAS, hasn’t changed. Nadda, nothing. I just continue to add music files to the NAS.

Only thing that has changed are sec + OS updates to WIn10 and NAS. Like I said a major update on WIn10 recently (1809). Maybe that’s what triggered it, dunno. Hard to know exactly when the 4226 number actually started.

If I look at my storage setting, this is exactly the same since day one.

I was responding to this. As for why, it can be as simple as a folder containing those files were deleted on the NAS.

I wish the program showed you what those files were as that would make it easier to figure what happened.

Ok understood :slight_smile:

Although I’m pretty sure I haven’t made a significant enough of a change to have had 4200 files moved, delete or modified.

Yes one would think if it’s keeping track of what been moved/deleted etc… it would know or indicate what files it thinks are missing

Hi @Swisstrips,

Are these 4,000 tracks by any chance under your Music folder that you have disabled?

This would be under the music folder of your local PC, perhaps it was enabled when you installed Roon?

Hi @noris

Nope, what the storage pic shows is the way it’s been forever. I never had local storage on the core

Nothing of significance has ever really showed up in the lib maint area

Could a major Win update trigger this in some way?

Hi @Swisstrips,

Can you provide more details on what you are doing here? Does Roon see the files in the original folder and then you move them after Roon has imported them? It’s possible that doing this is causing the storage location to show up as “missing”.

Hi @noris,

Sorry if I was unclear.

Importing 3000-4000 CD’s on the initial load (or whatever that number was) yrs ago, obviously I haven’t gone through every album to verify its “correctness”. So my workflow is such that some days while I’m listening and or browsing through ROON, I’ll find some albums that need fixing from the initial import.

When I find one in question (“Pink Floyd > Delicate Sounds of Thunder” for example) ROON will show two Delicate Sounds of Thunder album covers and I would rather have it show just one with the subheading “Disc 1 Disc 2” displayed in ROON. I’m assuming its because either my meta data in the file is incorrect or maybe the folder structure isn’t what ROON likes.

So,lets say its a folder structure issue (ROON kb indicates a preferred structure for example). Anyway, I’ll use win explorer, go to the mapped drives I have to the music “vault” on my NAS, drill down to Pink Floyd > Delicate Sounds of Thunder. Just for argument sake I see this in this example
PF example

So I will then:

1. If I have ROON active/open, I make sure I’m not actively viewing Pink Floyd, and switch to say Lee Ritenour in ROON.
  2. In my Win explorer view, I create a Delicate Sound of Thunder folder (at the root of Pink Floyd)
  3. I’ll rename the existing “Delicate Sound of Thunder, Disc 1” shown in my pic to just “Disc 1” and rename the other one to “Disc 2”.
  4. I’ll move the two renamed folders (Disc 1 and Disc 2) into the root of the newly created Delicate Sound of Thunder folder created in step 2.

So now I have Pink Floyd / Delicate Sound of Thunder / Disc 1 and Disc 2

I hope this makes sense.

I’ll also go through the meta data as long as I’m there. I may look to see what ROON shows in the credits, say the catalog number and Label for example. If its incorrect (using the same Delicate Sounds of Thunder from above), I’ll use dBpoweramp and right click all the AIFF files in Delicate Sounds of Thunder / Disc 1, and select “edit ID-Tag” (dBpoweramp) and put in the correct catalog number and Label or whatever is missing or needs correcting.and then Save (dBpoweramp). Alternatively or in addition to using dbpoweramp to edit the metadata, I may open Musicbrainz Piecard app, drag the “Disc 1” from the Delicate Sounds of Thunder directory into Piecard and perform some metadata updates e.g. in Piecard do a “Cluster > Lookup”, verify the new metadata and the Save.

When I return to ROON and look up Delicate Sounds of Thunder, all those changes just made are usually reflected in ROON. I may go into ROON’s Edit > Edit Album functions and update say “Genres” etc. or whatever needs some addtl tweaks.

Man I hope I didn’t open a can O worms on my process, ooy. :sweat: :woozy_face: Should I perfom a full rescan and or do my edits differently?

Thanks for any input or thoughts!

Hi @noris

Curious if you (or anyone else) has some thoughts on the issue outlined in my last post? If the method to my madness is incorrect or not recommended I’m open to suggestions.

I also just noticed that my “clen up number” is now reporting 5800 ~ This latest increase is prob my fault => had a friend over / listening session recently and there were tunes I didn’t have so he logged into to his qobuz acct (on my laptop/roon control) and of course this “synched” his stuff into my library etc… Which took a good 15min or whatever and as soon as that process started I knew that prob wasn’t a good idea.

Before he left I logged him out of qobuz and I rebooted everything etc…Oooy.

Question on the recommended method for updating your local library files album metadata

I have this support topic created which outlines my issue - if in fact there is an issue or is it a sort of false positive?

I have more albums to modify but am holding off until I can get a better understanding if my current method is wrong and am creating DB issues with my library.

Any thoughts / suggestions are welcome. thanks!

Bumping this - hoping to get some insight on this / best method to edit meta outside of roon

Hi @Swisstrips,

Sincere apologies regarding the delay in getting back to you here, your case was pending some feedback from the technical team which I missed.

When you perform these sets of steps, is Roon always active? When re-locating files, it is best practice to always quit Roon beforehand and have Roon see the files once they have settled. If you try to repeat this process with Roon closed, does it help?

What happens if you try to perform this same process but have the files on your Windows 10 local HDD instead, are you able to get into this state with an increased number of tracks not associated?

Hi @noris

When you perform these sets of steps, is Roon always active?
Well my Core is always on 24/7 and is a headless wkst running Win10 in util room and I perform these meta updates from my laptop. Is ROON (client) running on laptop during these edits, yes and no. I have performed updates while client is running or from my office wkst (e.g. via mapped drive and edit as explained) with no client running.

When re-locating files, it is best practice to always quit Roon beforehand and have Roon see the files once they have settled. If you try to repeat this process with Roon closed, does it help?
OK good to know, was not aware of this. I did test this briefly => shut down ROON server/core application (running on headless wkst). Then from my office wkst, I modified an album on the networked mapped drive (e.g. renamed the folder, created a sub folder, moved the music files into this new sub folder, edit some of the meta). Next I RDP’d to ROON server, launched the ROON server app to start again and fired up ROON controller/client and looked at the changed data. It took about 30sec for the info to change. I then looked at the “clean up library command” and the numbers did not change / increase due to my change. So it would appear that this method did help.

What happens if you try to perform this same process but have the files on your Windows 10 local HDD instead, are you able to get into this state with an increased number of tracks not associated?
Just to be clear, you want me to copy some music (e.g. a few full CD’s in a folder sturcture same/similar to what on NAS) to the CORE’s local HD, which I would then need to go into ROON and add that “local” HD as an additional source/location of music

@noris - Also, I noticed that when I performed at manual “force re-scan” (which only takes like 30sec), at the end of the status dialog it says something like “52,104 scanned” but it only lists “48,324 tracks imported”. The dialog goes by pretty quick to be exact, but any idea what that 5x,xxx represents? There are no skipped, merge conflicts FWIW.

Hi @Swisstrips,

Happy to hear that this method is working out for you, yes it’s always best for Roon to see the files once they have “settled down”.

Since this method is working out for you, I suggest you keep using this when performing edits. There is no need to perform the second local HDD test if the first aspect has resolved the discrepency.

Roon can scan files, but if they are not one of the supported formats then they don’t get imported into Roon and they just show up as a scanned object.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.